News: NFL executives say Dak Prescott is a “tier-? quarterback”. Did they get it right?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Exactly why he isnt worth what he’s asking

Some QBs “struggle” when missing key players.

This guy was “all-time” bad
His worth to the the team is whatever the team ends up paying him, but those 11 games were especially bad in relation to the rest of his career so far. When the difference between your slump and your career is almost 30 rating points, people notice the slump.

A perfect storm of a young QB coming off a game when he was sacked 8 times, then having to face three top-10 pass defenses with a short-handed OL and no running game. Baptism by fire, but he seems to have come through it.

Arkyvarminter

Reaction score
Name me a Superbowl winner who has won the big game and had a QB worse than Dak?
I consider Dilfer (Ravens) to be a better passer than Dak.
I don't know but Brady has lost a few Superbowls...guess he sucks too since elite QB's never lose.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
All offseason long we have written about whether the Cowboys should pay quarterback Dak Prescott, or not. The former fourth-round selection will likely receive a big pay day prior to the Cowboys’ first regular-season game against the New York Giants, and many on both ends of the debate have argued whether or not Dallas should pay number four.

When looking at the numbers on Dak, it’s hard to find a quarterback in the NFL that has had more success leading a team to victory than him. In his first three years in the NFL ,Prescott led Cowboys to a 32-16 record, two divisional titles, and has started every eligible game since entering the league. Since he took over as the starter the Cowboys have reached the playoffs in two of the last three years and have won one of the three playoffs games they’ve played in (not to mention they’ve fallen to Aaron Rodgers and Sean McVay who many believe are the best at their craft). In those games, Prescott has averaged a 64.1 completion percentage, 265 passing yards per game, and averaged a 95.7 passer rating. While the playoff numbers are impressive (even in the losses), the full picture shows a very, very productive quarterback.

The Cowboys have promoted Kellen Moore to offensive coordinator, moving on from Scott Linehan, in hopes of bringing fresh wrinkles and play designs to the offense. Dallas also went and hired Jon Kitna, who spent 16 years in the NFL as a quarterback and has been around the cutting edge concepts in Texas high school football. Combine that with the move for Cooper and you see the Cowboys are all-in with Prescott.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...rterback-did-they-get-it-right-dallas-cowboys
btw, this is total mockery...what do 55 coaches and NFL executives know about football...they obviously are cowboy haters and haven't looked at his stats.....:omg:

jnday

Reaction score
Well, they have him at about 14th.
That is almost exactly where the vast majority of people have him
Some lower, some higher...with the highers usually us Cowboy fans
Your post may not be popular with fans, but it is the most realistic post in this thread. Dallas fans are the ones that has an elevated opinion of Dak. Everybody else sees the very average QB that is doing well because of the great talent around him. Dallas does not win because of him. They win in spite of him.

jnday

Reaction score
I think Dak is a Tier 2 QB. That is plenty good enough for Dallas to win with. It could be worse, we could have Kirk Cousins, Josh Rosen, Flaco, Jared Allen, Jamison, Manning, or Rothlisberger. We should be grateful we have a QB that is above average.
The QBs you named would certainly do better if they had the talent around them that Dak has. They may be better than Dak. Fans wants to say that Dak is good enough to win with when he is surrounded by talent, but the same could be said of many QBs if they had the opportunity to play on a team that has the talent that Dallas has. Fans are quick to accept that only Dak could win in Dallas, but that is far from the truth.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Here’s another quote from the article:

“When they got Amari Cooper, he really ascended,” said the voter, a veteran personnel evaluator. “Throw in the O-line, the running back, they add (Randall) Cobb in the slot, and I think (Tier) 2 could be the low number. I could see them winning 12 or 13 games and having people come back next year saying, ‘Oh, maybe he is closer to a 1.’”
Everyone has their own opinion on Dak but I think if gets better he could be a tier two.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Same here.

And any ranking that's putting Prescott below his draft counterparts Wentz and Goff is crap. Neither one has accomplished what Prescott has to this point.

Facts.
Idk you have to give Goff credit. He has improved and had 4600 yds passing g last year and made it to a SB. He had a really good team around him and when he lost Cooper Kupp he wasn't quite the same. But those numbers he put up were pretty good.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Idk you have to give Goff credit. He has improved and had 4600 yds passing g last year and made it to a SB. He had a really good team around him and when he lost Cooper Kupp he wasn't quite the same. But those numbers he put up were pretty good.
He has obliterated Dak over the last two years, with his only negative patch suffered as a rookie taking over at midseason on a bad team (hard for any QB) under the “tutelage” of Jeff Fisher. Goff vs. Dak is only viewed as close by Dak slobberers these days.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

But not "good" enough to overtake Prescott's over their NFL careers. And once the league figured out that McVey was coaching Goff on the field, he was neutralized.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
And once the league figured out that McVey was coaching Goff on the field, he was neutralized.

Yep.

It is going to be interesting to watch what happens this season with defenses now knowing what McVay was doing with Goff before the microphone shut off.

If Goff doesn’t make a lot of progress with reading defenses, it could be bad for him and the team.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep.

It is going to be interesting to watch what happens this season with defenses know knowing what McVay was doing with Goff before the microphone shut off.

If Goff doesn’t make a lot of progress with reading defenses, it could be bad for him and the team.

I think that's why there's barely any talk of an extension for the 1st overall pick in that draft.

They're waiting to see themselves.

Coy

Reaction score
All offseason long we have written about whether the Cowboys should pay quarterback Dak Prescott, or not. The former fourth-round selection will likely receive a big pay day prior to the Cowboys’ first regular-season game against the New York Giants, and many on both ends of the debate have argued whether or not Dallas should pay number four.

When looking at the numbers on Dak, it’s hard to find a quarterback in the NFL that has had more success leading a team to victory than him. In his first three years in the NFL ,Prescott led Cowboys to a 32-16 record, two divisional titles, and has started every eligible game since entering the league. Since he took over as the starter the Cowboys have reached the playoffs in two of the last three years and have won one of the three playoffs games they’ve played in (not to mention they’ve fallen to Aaron Rodgers and Sean McVay who many believe are the best at their craft). In those games, Prescott has averaged a 64.1 completion percentage, 265 passing yards per game, and averaged a 95.7 passer rating. While the playoff numbers are impressive (even in the losses), the full picture shows a very, very productive quarterback.

The Cowboys have promoted Kellen Moore to offensive coordinator, moving on from Scott Linehan, in hopes of bringing fresh wrinkles and play designs to the offense. Dallas also went and hired Jon Kitna, who spent 16 years in the NFL as a quarterback and has been around the cutting edge concepts in Texas high school football. Combine that with the move for Cooper and you see the Cowboys are all-in with Prescott.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...rterback-did-they-get-it-right-dallas-cowboys

Well they are not wrong, that`s where almost everybody has him, I do think he could move into tier 2 with a great year.

InTheZone

Reaction score
What good is a QB who has poor passing abilities?
Add to that a 30 million a year contract you have a formula for disaster!
Sorry bud but I prefer our QB to be great passers isn't that why there usually the most expensive player on any team?

P.S. Concerning winning please don't forget to thank Zeke,Coop.and the best offline and stud defense in the NFL!
@your picture of zekes stats
giphy.gif

TwentyOne

Reaction score
That was actually a quote from Landry that BP stole/borrowed. It's true MOST of the time but it doesn't mean where they're at after year 3 is where they will be in year 8. It just means you know if they can play or not.

Of course you cant say what a player is going to be in year 8 for instance.

Its more about probability and i do think too that after 3 years you have a good view of what a player can be in the future.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Everyone has their own opinion on Dak but I think if gets better he could be a tier two.

I think tier 2 QB is what he can be in this league if he gets better in certain areas.
I don't see him making a jump to tier one. He just hasn't the talent level.

But that's just my opinion and i would be happy if the latter happens.

Right now i am very happy with Kitna as his QB coach. I do think that's a very good fit.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
A Tier 3 out of 4 Tiers QB? What a joke!

Can't wait for Dak to make many a critic look like total fools this season now that he finally has a creative O-Coordinator, some good WRs, a fully healthy Oline and good other talent around him.

I think there are 5 tiers.

The 5th is for scrubs.

1 is elite.

They ranked Dak a 3 tier QB because of his accuracy/mechanics problems.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They nailed it. Dak gets a lot of press and attention other QBs do not. The starting QB of the Dallas Cowboys has always been one of the highest profile jobs in the NFL. Dak's numbers are hard to decipher b/c there are times when they add up to a pretty good QB and times when he looks completely inept. Folks can question Romo's decision making at times, but he always looked good throwing a football. Dak isn't a natural drop back QB. That doesn't mean he can't find a way to win. Heck, even Tebow lead Denver to a playoff run and won a wildcard game. There are guys who can win ugly. I'm just not sure you want to build a team around them and pay them a huge chunk of the available salary cap.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
NFL Execs do not want the Cowboys to resign Dak. With the talent level we have right now and how draft at every other position but QB if we let Dak go it would every NFL Execs thats not in Dallas dream come true.