NFL expected to eliminate all blind side blocks

blueblood70

Reaction score
a yr closer to flag football boys..we are already close to arena league now flag is on the way..NBA is slowly taking over..

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You can’t play football and block without attacking someones blindside at times

I can see if it’s no where near the play....but let’s take Golden Tate/Lee hit......is Tate supposed to wait until lee sees him? Aslong as you’re a threat to make the tackle whether the hit is blindside or not should not matter

How about they teach fundamentals in the 20 years I’ve played peewee, middle school, high school and semi pro the first rule is keeping your head on a swivel

People who haven’t played football shouldn’t make rules
Keeping "your head on a swivel" is what most sports are about, not just football. Seeing the field is what separates the great from the good

Whyjerry

Reaction score
ahhh, more sissy rules forthcoming, break out the flags.. millennial ball.

Exactly. They will eventually try to eliminate tackling. How does anyone believe these new “rules” will be enforced well when you see the garabage they pull to protect QBs? The answer is not changing the rules constantly the answer is making the fines huge for dirty plays. That will reduce the dirty plays. This new rule will be another disaster.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I've been a football junkie my whole life.

Watched about 20% of what I normally do this year.

The product sucks.

Completely agree. The roughing the passer garbage ruins the game. Cam Newton is 250 pounds. How do you not hit him hard and expect a player like that to go down?

Roger G is a cancer on this game. Will it eventually ruin the league? Maybe.

JayFord

Reaction score
Completely agree. The roughing the passer garbage ruins the game. Cam Newton is 250 pounds. How do you not hit him hard and expect a player like that to go down?

Roger G is a cancer on this game. Will it eventually ruin the league? Maybe.

I’ve said this so many times

Cam Newton is bigger than most defenders outside of the dline

How is a corner coming on a blitz who’s 180 pounds supposed to get this man to the ground using little to no force?

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
You can’t play football and block without attacking someones blindside at times

I can see if it’s no where near the play....but let’s take Golden Tate/Lee hit......is Tate supposed to wait until lee sees him? Aslong as you’re a threat to make the tackle whether the hit is blindside or not should not matter

How about they teach fundamentals in the 20 years I’ve played peewee, middle school, high school and semi pro the first rule is keeping your head on a swivel

People who haven’t played football shouldn’t make rules
Exactly.
The necessity of being aware of what's going on around you is part of the game.

I still vividly remember the first time I got blindsided in organized football. I learned a lot in that moment.

Flamma

Reaction score
Another thread for the game has lost me as fan crowd.

You say you’ll leave

But....

True. But if not for the cowboys I'm definitely not a fan anymore. I used to love this game. But it is becoming more difficult to sit through a 3 hour plus, flag riddled commercial Laden marathon. Especially when they're not consistent. 90% of the calls can go either way and they often do.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Keeping "your head on a swivel" is what most sports are about, not just football. Seeing the field is what separates the great from the good

Thats ridiculous. So a LBer who trying to fill the hole that a RB is about to come through is supposed to take his eyes off the RB to look around and see if anyone is coming to block him? Just as he does that, the RB will cut and be gone. I agree you have to see the field but when you are zoned in on the man with the ball, you can’t take your eyes off of him and it’s called blindside for a reason. It’s coming from the opposite direction as your eyes are pointed.

I think blocking from the blindside should be legal but you could have the rule that the blocks should be more of the just get in the way variety and make unnecessary hard blindside blocks a penalty.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another one added to the "judgement list" for the officials. They missed a ton of targeting violations since they rule was passed, now this one gets a turn.

How they police this on ST is going to be really interesting with all of the side blocks and change of direction by the returners.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I’ve said this so many times

Cam Newton is bigger than most defenders outside of the dline

How is a corner coming on a blitz who’s 180 pounds supposed to get this man to the ground using little to no force?
You guys complaining about this just don’t get it. There’s getting a guy to the ground cleanly and there’s being dirty about it. Using all your weight to fall on the QB or turning him in the air so you land on his shoulder with all your weight, like Hicks did to Tony in Philthy, is a no-no. Guys need to practice clean tackling like they use in rugby. Helmet outside the tacklee’s Frame shouldn’t be a problem, or even just keeping one’s helmet and head up. Not hard.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Another one added to the "judgement list" for the officials. They missed a ton of targeting violations since they rule was passed, now this one gets a turn.

How they police this on ST is going to be really interesting with all of the side blocks and change of direction by the returners.
Funny, you even put it in quotes...........Great minds think alike. Then again, so do damaged ones.

glimmerman

Reaction score
This is a worthwhile rule though. The blindside is one of the easiest ones to suffer devastating injury one. Think Jeff Heath nearly killing that Seahawks special team player years ago, or Golden Tate blowing up Sean Lee.
Both should have been flags to me.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Thats ridiculous. So a LBer who trying to fill the hole that a RB is about to come through is supposed to take his eyes off the RB to look around and see if anyone is coming to block him? Just as he does that, the RB will cut and be gone. I agree you have to see the field but when you are zoned in on the man with the ball, you can’t take your eyes off of him and it’s called blindside for a reason. It’s coming from the opposite direction as your eyes are pointed.

I think blocking from the blindside should be legal but you could have the rule that the blocks should be more of the just get in the way variety and make unnecessary hard blindside blocks a penalty.
How did you get all that out if my statement.

kskboys

Reaction score
How about fixing the catch rule, PI, and consistent officiating?
Oh and while we’re at it, how about a commish who’s not a PoS
That's be like having an assassin who doesn't kill. It's the nature of the position.