NFL games to be on 10 networks/streaming services this upcoming season

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another April 2023 article followed up a January 2023 Variety report posted earlier by @DandyDon52:

https://www.businessinsider.com/guides/streaming/peacock-tv-streaming-service-app

Basically, all Peacock subscribers were grandfathered into the present, thus avoiding the current price plans. Obviously, NBCUniversal has considered the ramifications of new subscribers discovering they are paying for essentially the same product (with or without NFL games) as older subscribers. I have my doubts new subscriber sign up projections will match NBCUniversal's expectations over the long-term.

Those doubts are down the road though. Right now, anyone not fed up with getting only a certain selection of NFL games on Peacock must pay to see them. The mystery ends for why some say Peacock is a free streaming service when it no longer is for anyone who was not signed up before February 2023.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
You know Peacock is free, right? All you have to do is download it.
Peacock isn't free, but it is relatively inexpensive. I've had a subscription for a couple years now. Obviously, you have not.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Peacock is NBC so why wouldnt they also put it on their regular channel?
You paid $110 million for "exclusive" rights to one playoff game on your streaming service. Why in the world would you put it on your regular channel? Think about it.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
For the same reason Paramount+ will have games for CBS and Disney have ABC and ESPN/ESPN+ under its umbrella: subscriber and more categorically targeted advertising revenue. Most questions will usually boil down to all about the Benjamins.
Some folks just aren't wrapping their heads around the new media. They're making comparisons that aren't really comparisons. Some lessons are learned the hard way.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is thanks to my son being a premier league fan I have peacock and a few others already l o l
So bring it, I still got to dump DTV

DCwarrior

Reaction score
I hardly ever watch a game anymore. I listen to them on Sirius XM. Only downside to that is Brad Sham amd Babe Laufenburg lol.

DCwarrior

Reaction score
Just wait until the big gambling operations start streaming sites and throw their hat into ring for streaming games.

DCwarrior

Reaction score
Peacock is NBC so why wouldnt they also put it on their regular channel?
Regular channel is free, Peacock isn’t. All the channels have secondary or pay channels. I quit watching Yellowstone because they put it under Paramount+ and I’m not paying for it.

LonnieElam

Reaction score
Peacock isn't free, but it is relatively inexpensive. I've had a subscription for a couple years now. Obviously, you have not.
A quick search is all it takes.
"The short answer is yes. Peacock is free. Or rather, there is a free tier of Peacock. It’s supported by brief ad breaks in the content you watch.

What that means is that you can watch some titles on Peacock without spending a penny. The revenue from the ads funds your streaming."

links18

Reaction score
What's next, Univision? Wait, are games already shown on Univision, Telemundo, etc.? How does the SAP function work?

Big_D

Reaction score
Whenever the NFL gets an opportunity to screw the fans, they’re going to take it. Regular season games are one thing. But auctioning off playoff games is ridiculous.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Hey! Good to see you. Hope all is well, and yes, I can imagine that the NFL is going to be losing viewers it they keep up with this. I think the NFL is overexerting what they think the average fan can afford. I suppose this may be an effort for them to try to encourage more fans to attend games, but I think that they will find attracting fans to be more difficult if they carry on this way.

I'm still fighting cancer. Most days I don't spend much if any time on the computer. I have pills that help with the discomfort but they also make me drowsy. As far as the NFL(nit for long) wanting more fans to go to games, first there is limited number of tickets and second most ticket prices costs are beyond the average person's budget. I really think the NFL will wake up but it will have been too late with way to many fans turned off and moved on to other things on Sunday afternoons and evening. The rest of the days are already on pay services. Towards the end of last season I read an article that said Thursday Night Football viewership was down 17% mostly because people weren't going to pay extra foe Amazon Prime above and beyond what they pay for cable/dish to watch it when until last season it was always on eithe FOX,NBC or CBS.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A quick search is all it takes.
"The short answer is yes. Peacock is free. Or rather, there is a free tier of Peacock. It’s supported by brief ad breaks in the content you watch.

What that means is that you can watch some titles on Peacock without spending a penny. The revenue from the ads funds your streaming."
Google Search Phrase: "free tier of peacock"

Google's 1st 9 Search Results (not including the Sponsor Ad)

NBCUniversal Shuts Off Peacock Free Tier for New Users (January 31, 2023 article link)
Choose a Plan (site link)
Peacock kills its free tier option for new customers (February 1, 2023 article link)
Is Peacock free? We breakdown what you get at the free tier (April 13, 2023 article link)
Peacock drops free membership tier for new customers (February 1, 2023 article link)
Peacock Free vs Paid: What's the difference and how to ... (August 24, 2022 article link)
Peacock Is Removing Its Free Tier: What This Means for ... (February 7, 2023 article link)
Peacock Free Tier Is Dead, but Did NBCU Make a Mistake? (February 3, 2023 article link)
Peacock Ends Free Tier for New Users (January 31, 2023 article link)
Alas, Peacock's free tier is done for newcomers (February 1, 2023 article link)

The above, red highlighted, article link is the source of your quote. The quote is technically true for all Peacock customers who signed up before February 1, 2023.

Every customer, who either signed up for Peacock after January 31, 2023 or shall sign up in the future, cannot subscribe to the free tier. The free tier does not exist for brand new post-January 31, 2023 subscribers. This is the information practically all other Google searches state, including the actual streaming service website itself, Peacocktv.com.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'm still fighting cancer. Most days I don't spend much if any time on the computer. I have pills that help with the discomfort but they also make me drowsy. As far as the NFL(nit for long) wanting more fans to go to games, first there is limited number of tickets and second most ticket prices costs are beyond the average person's budget. I really think the NFL will wake up but it will have been too late with way to many fans turned off and moved on to other things on Sunday afternoons and evening. The rest of the days are already on pay services. Towards the end of last season I read an article that said Thursday Night Football viewership was down 17% mostly because people weren't going to pay extra foe Amazon Prime above and beyond what they pay for cable/dish to watch it when until last season it was always on eithe FOX,NBC or CBS.

I certainly hope and pray that the cancer improves, my friend. As for the TNF games, I think it probably didn't help that the games were usually dreadful. That said, the fact that they are now going to exclusive places like Prime and Peacock are going to burn them as time goes on.

LonnieElam

Reaction score
Google Search Phrase: "free tier of peacock"

Google's 1st 9 Search Results (not including the Sponsor Ad)

NBCUniversal Shuts Off Peacock Free Tier for New Users (January 31, 2023 article link)
Choose a Plan (site link)
Peacock kills its free tier option for new customers (February 1, 2023 article link)
Is Peacock free? We breakdown what you get at the free tier (April 13, 2023 article link)
Peacock drops free membership tier for new customers (February 1, 2023 article link)
Peacock Free vs Paid: What's the difference and how to ... (August 24, 2022 article link)
Peacock Is Removing Its Free Tier: What This Means for ... (February 7, 2023 article link)
Peacock Free Tier Is Dead, but Did NBCU Make a Mistake? (February 3, 2023 article link)
Peacock Ends Free Tier for New Users (January 31, 2023 article link)
Alas, Peacock's free tier is done for newcomers (February 1, 2023 article link)

The above, red highlighted, article link is the source of your quote. The quote is technically true for all Peacock customers who signed up before February 1, 2023.

Every customer, who either signed up for Peacock after January 31, 2023 or shall sign up in the future, cannot subscribe to the free tier. The free tier does not exist for brand new post-January 31, 2023 subscribers. This is the information practically all other Google searches state, including the actual streaming service website itself, Peacocktv.com.
Oh, gotcha.

MikeT22

Reaction score
I didn’t buy Amazon prime last year and likely won’t buy any other service they push game to.

When the Cowboys play I just do what I do the other 4-5 times they aren’t in TV, find it on the radio or live updates on online

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I didn’t buy Amazon prime last year and likely won’t buy any other service they push game to.

When the Cowboys play I just do what I do the other 4-5 times they aren’t in TV, find it on the radio or live updates on online

Usually, if the Cowboys are on but not available at my apartment, I just go to a bar. However, if they're going to make that difficult, then I may have to find a new hobby to fill the time.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Power of the almighty dollar.........and a stick it up yours to the fans. And the reason valuations on teams has skyrocketed. Jerry would NEVER sell this golden goose. It's like printing more and more money every year.
Fans should start speaking with their wallets and put an end to this. It is getting ridiculous to watch sports these days, especially local sports. No longer are they on free OTA channels. Then they moved to Fox Sports SW, which wasn't too bad. Now they are on Bally Sports, which is atrocious. And only available through them directly or on DirecTV Stream.

Stop purchasing all these new streaming apps and allowing these enterprises to gouge us at every turn. Stop watching slowly. They will feel the hit as time goes on. But ratings are at an all time high for the NFL so they are going to go all out while they can.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
You know Peacock is free, right? All you have to do is download it.
Huge difference in the app being free vs the subscription to use it. All the apps are free. But you need to subscribe to actually use it to view the programming. Peacock is not free to use and this NFL playoff game to view outside of the local markets of the 2 teams, will require that subscription to legally watch it.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
I just read on NFL.com that Peacock has the exclusive rights on the Jan. 13 2024 Wildcard game. This will be the first time that all playoff games haven't been on one of the 3 major networks that can be seen without having to pay some service to see it. At this rate the NFL will really stand for Not For Long. For economic reasons I stopped my DirecTV sunscription and have only used what I get with an antenna. I have 8-9 friends that have done the same thing so the NFL will keep losing viewers which means it will make it harder for the NFL to sell their product. Again Not For Long.
There is certainly a tipping point that the fans will reach and then the numbers will start going down. The NFL is going to certainly push it to that tipping point. We aren't there yet but it's getting closer. 10 years from now will be very interesting.