NFL: Gil Brandt's 25 greatest NFL running backs of all time (Emmitt 11th)

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Robert Smith is another guy, the only

Again, I referenced him amongst my best rbs of alltime. He was clearly on my list of shout outs, i just kept thinking John Ritter, momentarily forgot his name. Hyperbole.

Alright, you win. Emmitt was a better public speaker, and Barry was a better RB. Happy?
Don't play games with me Eagles fan, you read my posts, address them as I have addressed yours.

Emmitt was a far, far superior leader of men. Of Football players. His ability to run in crowded space was elite. His ability to block was elite. His vision was elite. His ability to find the end zone was elite. Combine all of that you have a more well-rounded football player than Sanders ever dreamed of in his wettest of dreams.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Don't play games with me Eagles fan, you read my posts, address them as I have addressed yours.

Emmitt was a far, far superior leader of men. Of Football players. His ability to run in crowded space was elite. His ability to block was elite. His vision was elite. His ability to find the end zone was elite. Combine all of that you have a more well-rounded football player than Sanders ever dreamed of in his wettest of dreams.

Okay, I'll address your post. Which of those abilities did Barry Sanders lack? In what definable way can you prove he was not a great leader of men?

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Okay, I'll address your post. Which of those abilities did Barry Sanders lack? In what definable way can you prove he was not a great leader of men?
He was known as a quiet type. He was known to be on his own island on the bench as he seaked the approval of his father more than those of his teammates. Which is fine, until it becomes a problem. Which it did. His ability to run in crowded space wasn't as great as Emmitt, his frame wouldn't allow it. Nor was he as deft there. His open field vision is the best ever, as are his twitch hips. Goat open field vision, goat twitch hips. So he's number five for me.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
******* Eagles fans

Welcome to the NFL. You won a Super Bowl. Here's your slap on the ***.

You don't like Eagles fans, yet you use arguably the biggest Eagles fan in the world as your portrait picture. You may not find it ironic, but every time Carson scores a touchdown and Mike Trout is in the front row begging for the ball, I think it's pretty ironic.

He was known as a quiet type. He was known to be on his own island on the bench as he seaked the approval of his father more than those of his teammates. Which is fine, until it becomes a problem. Which it did. His ability to run in crowded space wasn't as great as Emmitt, his frame wouldn't allow it. His open field vision is the best ever, as are his twitch hips. Goat open field vision, goat twitch hips. So he's number five for me.

In virtually every statistical category Barry could control, he was superior to Emmitt. I don't even know what argument you can make against that. He led men better? So he's a better RB than the guy who did better on the field?

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
You don't like Eagles fans, yet you use arguably the biggest Eagles fan in the world as your portrait picture. You may not find it ironic, but every time Carson scores a touchdown and Mike Trout is in the front row begging for the ball, I think it's pretty ironic.
I hate you but take my Like. It kills me Trouty's allegiance to your squad.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
In virtually every statistical category Barry could control, he was superior to Emmitt. I don't even know what argument you can make against that. He led men better? So he's a better RB than the guy who did better on the field?
I'm not talking stats in the post you replied to, Eagles fan, I am talking the way they played. And I literally answered your question.

Stop playing games.

Yes, being a leader of men, whilst also being elite, is a very enviable trait that few of the elite of the elites have. Barry was a wanker when it came to leading. Go get horny to profootballrefernce while missing the forest for the trees. And still, since you are so hung up on stats, who had more rushing yards? TDs? Super Bowl MVPs? Rings?

cowboyec

Reaction score
lots of respect for Gil Brandt and what he helped build here...but no way Emmitt is only 11th.
He belongs in top 3 with Walter and Jim Brown.
Those are,in my opinion,the 3 Greatest.
1.Emmitt.
2.Walter Payton.
3.Jim Brown.

side...I think he over-rated Bo Jackson.

kskboys

Reaction score
He might be a "good dude" but he is reciting what he reads on Reddit instead of having a real opinion.
I've known him for years, and he's not like that. Very good contributor, very classy.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
One of the detractions about Emmitt, and will also be for Zeke, is the offensive line he ran behind.

However, to that I say Bull Nuggets.

Now remember the first SB. Think back to the highlights. You see Emmitt run one in from about 14 out. He gets his first contact by a linebacker who tried to wrap him up a step or so past the hole. Emmitt grabbed his wrist and kept him from getting his arm around Emmitt's waist.

I had never seen a RB do that before.

But consider all the RB's you've seen and how many would have been stopped in the hole. Or how many times Emmitt broke tackles, spun out of contact and went for a long run, or TD.

I admire Sanders, and his speed and agility was mind blowing. But Emmitt didn't have that speed and received more contact and posted better numbers. And Emmitt did not get hurt.

We all know the story of the shoulder. He finished the game, and was the reason they went to the SB that year. Jimmy rode that horse on almost every play for the rest of that game.

Toughness, vision, deceptive speed, elusive, threat in the passing game, great blocker, solid teammate, and class act. The only minus I see in Emmitt was his weird attitude about giving autographs to kids.

There is no way this guy is not top five, and frankly I think top three.

Brown at 1, no problem.
Peyton at 2, no problem.
Anyone but Emmitt at 3, we have a problem.

And on game day, you can bet your rear end the defense didn't think Emmitt was # freakin' 11.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I've known him for years, and he's not like that. Very good contributor, very classy.
Fair enough. And I'm debating him fair enough, considering he is an Eagles fan.

I don't like how he tries to subtly steer the argument in however direction he wants to. I answer his questions, it then becomes "but but but"

If he keeps it up, I will not share that same opinion of yours.

kskboys

Reaction score
Fair enough. And I'm debating him fair enough, considering he is an Eagles fan.

I don't like how he tries to subtly steer the argument in however direction he wants to. I answer his questions, it then becomes "but but but"

If he keeps it up, I will not share that same opinion of yours.
Just conversing thoughts, that's all. He's simply presenting his arguments.

On the flipside, when me n my buds discuss greatest RB's of all time, we usually simply leave Emmit and Tony out. Makes it a lot easier.

Hardline

Reaction score
A high percentage of Barry Sanders carries went for negative yardage by getting caught dancing in the back field.
I've always said when Barry and Emmitt were still in the league that Barry was a great runner but Emmitt was a great running back.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Just conversing thoughts, that's all. He's simply presenting his arguments.

On the flipside, when me n my buds discuss greatest RB's of all time, we usually simply leave Emmit and Tony out. Makes it a lot easier.
And that fine, but, ksk, this guy isn't my buddy. And worse, he's an Eagles fan. You come to our board, show some respect. If a member addresses your point, accept it, debate it, or move on. Don't create new narratives. It pisses me the **** off and is more work than it's worth

As to your last line, that's actually a sound plan, ksk :)

Jipper

Reaction score
You don't like talking football during the offseason?

(thats not to say that it can't come soon enough; still, tho.)

I do but it gets to a point where we start debating topics that just go off the beaten path....and the incessant debate of how bad or good dak and Garrett are just drones on

In the words of captain speelmen from Stripes "What I wouldn't give for some action!"

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A high percentage of Barry Sanders carries went for negative yardage.
I've always said when Barry and Emmitt were still in the league that Barry was a great runner but Emmitt was a great running back.

Yep. The negative yards killing offensive drives and the lack of scoring production in the playoffs are the big ‘knocks’ on Barry’s claim when it comes to the very best RBs in the history of the game.

kskboys

Reaction score
Here's another leave out:

Ricky Williams. Top 10 power/speed combo's of all time. I know, I know, he wigged out and went to smoke pot. I thought he was a moron also, until they found out he had been misdiagnosed and was on the wrong meds. Did you know, for instance, that Ricky Williams rushed for over 10,000 yds in his career? Most don't.

Earl Campbell is the best power back ever. Dude was a freak of nature. Should be discussed as top 5.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Here's another leave out:

Ricky Williams. Top 10 power/speed combo's of all time. I know, I know, he wigged out and went to smoke pot. I thought he was a moron also, until they found out he had been misdiagnosed and was on the wrong meds. Did you know, for instance, that Ricky Williams rushed for over 10,000 yds in his career? Most don't.

Earl Campbell is the best power back ever. Dude was a freak of nature. Should be discussed as top 5.
Loved him. The erb, Ditka's trade and ensuing ESPN magazine cover with them both dressed in wedding clothes, are what hurt his legacy. If he didn't go to Canada for that short time, he'd probably be in the Hall. Erb cost him a lot of time and took a toll on his legacy. Still, a devastatingly great HB. He also did a lot of work to improve his hands as a receiving option, coming out of college