NFL: Gil Brandt's 25 greatest NFL running backs of all time (Emmitt 11th)

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
1. Barry
2. Jim
3. Emmitt or Walter, haven’t decided

It’s an easy test: put Barry Sanders and Jim Brown on the Cowboys. Do they win 3 superbowls and the player breaks all time rushing mark? YES..
You can't say that with any authority. Our team rallied behind Emmitt. Haley tried to take off Jerry's head when he wouldn't pay him. LT was a poor leader and he shyted the bed in the playoffs when he got a little booboo. And I love him. But still. Choker. Curtis Martin, I'll give you. He is woefully underrated and a legendary leader. Barry was in it for the run, his run, much like Bo. His career just lasted longer. Barry didn't want to win after a certain point, he just wanted out. And he was a nothing leader. Still, his pure talent gets on my perosonal top-5. But barely. It should probably be Walter.

It's a stretch to <insert name here> and say they would have done the same, or "imagine if they had that Dallas OL"

They didn't, and we will never know, and it is all speculation. Half of those players were chumps in the locker room. We simply don't know that they would have succeeded here the way Emmitt did, sans maybe Martin, in the group of 1990s rushers to current.

But alas, I know how strong that narrative is in NFL fandom, it is what it is. "The Dallas OL made Emmitt" gtho

Last edited:

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
1. Barry
2. Jim
3. Emmitt or Walter, haven’t decided

But 11th? That’s criminal. It’s an easy test: put Barry Sanders and Jim Brown on the Cowboys. Do they win 3 superbowls and the player breaks all time rushing mark? YES. Put Curtis Martin, Earl Campbell, Ladainian Tomlinson, Tony Dorsett, that Commanders FB who’s name eludes me on the Cowboys. Do they accomplish these things? Possibly, but maybe not. Ergo, Emmitt is above them.
His name is Riggins. Best ever player to come back and play at an older age. His late-age longevity, at that position, is simply magnificent

His A Football Life episode is 10/10

kskboys

Reaction score
Bo Jackson is so overrated. He's the buzzword in these lists. I know that that is football treachery to some, but they fell in love with the mystique. Like *The Natural (Roy Hobbs). Sayers that high? Golly. And a Brandt article, too. Unfortunate.
Bo had only 2,700 yds for his career. No way. If you count him, then you've gotta look at other short term wonders like Robert Smith.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
You can't say that with any authority. Our team rallied behind Emmitt. Haley tried to take off Jerry's head when he wouldn't pay him. LT was a poor leader and he shyted the bed in the playoffs when he got a little booboo. And I love him. But still. Choker. Curtis Martin, I'll give you. He is woefully underrated and a legendary leader. Barry was in it for the run, his run, much like Bo. His career just lasted longer. Barry didn't want to win after a certain point, he just wanted out. And he was a nothing leader. Still, his pure talent gets on my perosonal top-5. But barely. It should probably be Walter.

It's a stretch to <insert name here> and say they would have done the same, or "imagine if they had that Dallas OL"

They didn't, and we will never know, and it is all speculation. Half of those players were chumps in the locker room. We simply don't know that they would have succeeded here the way Emmitt did, sans maybe Martin, in the group of 1990s runners to current.

But alas, I know how strong that narrative is in NFL fandom, it is what it is. "The Dallas OL made Emmitt" gtho

Nobody is saying any of that, and I had Martin in the list of RBs NOT likely to do what Emmitt did. The OL didn't make Emmitt, Emmitt made Emmitt. I named him the 3rd best RB of alltime for crying out loud. Yet you're putting words in my mouth that the Oline made him despite being 3rd EVER. And Barry didn't not want to win, he quit because the Lions wouldn't trade him. He quit because he couldn't stand losing, all he wanted to do was win. He wanted to go to Miami to play with Dan. Look up some articles at that time, it's all anyone was talking about, Miami wouldn't give up the crazy stuff Detroit was demanding. Barry has said he regrets walking away and he probably could have played 3 or 4 more years with a better team.

kskboys

Reaction score
Saying rings define you as superior is also subjective nonsense. His backups have rings too, should they be on this list?
Have to agree w/ the Eagles fan here. Rings is way down on the list when evaluating individual talent.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Nobody is saying any of that, and I had Martin in the list of RBs NOT likely to do what Emmitt did. The OL didn't make Emmitt, Emmitt made Emmitt. I named him the 3rd best RB of alltime for crying out loud. Yet you're putting words in my mouth that the Oline made him despite being 3rd EVER. And Barry didn't not want to win, he quit because the Lions wouldn't trade him. He quit because he couldn't stand losing, all he wanted to do was win. He wanted to go to Miami to play with Dan. Look up some articles at that time, it's all anyone was talking about, Miami wouldn't give up the crazy stuff Detroit was demanding.
Well you did say that. It's in my quote.

And it's funny you exclude Martin, he is the one closest to Emmitt, thus if you want to pontificate, he should be on your list of players "who would have done the same"

Barry was a loser. Poor leader, too. Highest peak of any HB ever, but that's it. And fanboys like you will never let a chance go by to lessen Emmitt to prop up Sanders

kskboys

Reaction score
Also, why does every frickin' list take a month to go through. Just list them, for bog's sake, a pic of each one actually weakens your argument.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Nobody is saying any of that, and I had Martin in the list of RBs NOT likely to do what Emmitt did. The OL didn't make Emmitt, Emmitt made Emmitt. I named him the 3rd best RB of alltime for crying out loud. Yet you're putting words in my mouth that the Oline made him despite being 3rd EVER. And Barry didn't not want to win, he quit because the Lions wouldn't trade him. He quit because he couldn't stand losing, all he wanted to do was win. He wanted to go to Miami to play with Dan. Look up some articles at that time, it's all anyone was talking about, Miami wouldn't give up the crazy stuff Detroit was demanding. Barry has said he regrets walking away and he probably could have played 3 or 4 more years with a better team.
You didn't even know who Riggins was, Eagles fan.

:facepalm:

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
You didn't even know who Riggins was, Eagles fan.

:facepalm:

Again, I referenced him amongst my best rbs of alltime. He was clearly on my list of shout outs, i just kept thinking John Ritter, momentarily forgot his name. Hyperbole.
Well you did say that. It's in my quote.

And it's funny you exclude Martin, he is the one closest to Emmitt, thus if you want to pontificate, he should be on your list of players "who would have done the same"

Barry was a loser. Poor leader, too. Highest peak of any HB ever, but that's it. And fanboys like you will never let a chance go by to lessen Emmitt to prop up Sanders

Alright, you win. Emmitt was a better public speaker, and Barry was a better RB. Happy?