News: NFL Mid-Season Top 25 Rookie Rankings - No Tyler Smith

CoachD

Reaction score
It will be interesting when Tyron comes back and if there are any line up changes like moving Tyler back to left guard.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'll admit, I was not big on this pick. But right now I think he is playing great for us. I know it's still early, but right now I wouldn't trade him straight up for Evan Neal. We got a really good OL late in the first round.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
if our record was reversed, and didn't have the rushing success we have had, he would be on the top 10 of worst signings of the draft....book it

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
We like our guys.

Tyler Smith
Sam Williams
DaRon Bland
Damone Clark
Jake Ferguson
Peyton Hendershot
KaVontae Turpin

So screw what outsiders say.

Nexx

Reaction score
It will be interesting when Tyron comes back and if there are any line up changes like moving Tyler back to left guard.

If Tyron is healthy with Tyler next to him, I think they would be unstoppable but in the run and pass game.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea, I think he’ll a good pro but I do think fans overrate him and we reached on him in the draft especially if his best fit is as LG.

He does seem like a good kid though so I’m pulling for him.
Tyler Smith has been very impressive in my opinion. He's not getting dominated and not the penalty machine we all thought he was going to be.
Tyler Smith is having a great rookie season.
- On pace for less sacks allowed than Tyron's rookie season.
- Better than Larry Allen's rookie season.
- Monster run blocker.
- Has had to play next to an inexperienced LG.

Imagine what this season would look like with Josh Ball at LT...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting. NFL.Com doesn’t consider Tyler good enough to be considered in this list. Rookie offensive linemen who beat him include Ravens C Tyler Linderbaum (1st round, 25th pick), Panthers OT Ekim Ekwonu (1st round, 6th pick) Seahawks OT Abraham Lucas (3rd round), and Chargers OT Jamaree Salyer (6th round).

This is the mid-season ranking. FYI, Tyler was in the Top 25 first-quarter rankings but fell off for this update. Look at the Seahawks - 4 guys in the Top 25! Talk about a draft. Those guys and Geno Smith single-handedly kept Pete Carroll’s Seattle run alive. Linderbaum was my choice for OL at our pick but I don’t fault the Cowboys for selecting Smith because his positions were a much bigger need and there is no buyer’s remorse on him even if the media doesn’t consider him Top 25 anymore.

Link:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-rookie...2022-season-four-seahawks-in-top-25-but-jets-
Tyler is physically more talented than all the players you listed.

His college OL coach was a grad assistant just 2 years prior to becoming the Tulsa OL coach.

Tyler spent all of training camp practicing at LG because camp was basically over when Tyron got injured.

Tyron injury Aug 24th.

Game 1 Sept 11th.

It is amazing that he is playing well enough to rarely be a topic of conversation.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
He's done an admirable job.

That said, it's not all rainbows and unicorns.

He's been flagged for 7 penalties on the season already:

4 holding
3 false starts

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Agree to an extent but Tyron was on a whole different level as a prospect. Not even close with how high his ceiling was.

Drafting an OT would be my top choice next year.
I feel the team believes that they already have their future LT or we would of seen Peters replace him by now

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Yeah I trusted our scouts on that one because I did not like the pre draft I heard about Smith. Hasn’t had the penalty issue that everyone assumed he’d have. I’ve seen him knock some grown *** men on their butt.
If you watched his holding calls it wasn't from getting beat but because he was destroying guys.

Better technique is helping and still gets pancakes

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
So a starting caliber left tackle as a rookie isn't worthy of a top 25 selection? Me thinks something is rotten in Denmark
Exactly. Even if he isn't in the top half of starting LTs in the league (not saying he is or isn't, just for arguments sake), just being a competent starting LT (one of the most difficult positions to play) from day one surely is worthy of being in the top 25.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Interesting. NFL.Com doesn’t consider Tyler good enough to be considered in this list. Rookie offensive linemen who beat him include Ravens C Tyler Linderbaum (1st round, 25th pick), Panthers OT Ekim Ekwonu (1st round, 6th pick) Seahawks OT Abraham Lucas (3rd round), and Chargers OT Jamaree Salyer (6th round).

This is the mid-season ranking. FYI, Tyler was in the Top 25 first-quarter rankings but fell off for this update. Look at the Seahawks - 4 guys in the Top 25! Talk about a draft. Those guys and Geno Smith single-handedly kept Pete Carroll’s Seattle run alive. Linderbaum was my choice for OL at our pick but I don’t fault the Cowboys for selecting Smith because his positions were a much bigger need and there is no buyer’s remorse on him even if the media doesn’t consider him Top 25 anymore.

Link:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-rookie...2022-season-four-seahawks-in-top-25-but-jets-
so you take stock in these rankings lol
EF the media, EF rankings. Need i say more. opinions are like__________________________________________

Sam Williams and Tyler are getting dissed, its ok..we will have the last laugh at the haters. I believe Sam will be every bit as good as Aidan Hutchinson once he gets regular snaps and how that Sayler kid made it over Tyler is a mystery.

Last edited:

cnuball21

Reaction score

Because his skill set is better suited there. It will highlight his strength of being a power blocker in the run game and help cover up his weakness of pass pro.

His pass pro technique needs a lot of work and I’m not sure he has the feet to be an above average LT. LG wouldn’t expose him as much.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

Link:

He hasnt been good hes actually been one of the worst tackles in pass protection in terms of win rate. His run blocking has been good tho but that is probably why he is not up there.

reddyuta

Reaction score
You know it’s interesting because I never really hear much about Smith. But the left tackle position is so crucial that you need a good one if you want to have good offensive line. They don’t even mention him on the telecast of games and I admit I’m not a great offensive line evaluator he hasn’t been embarrassing himself at all.

It seems like no one really wants to talk about how good or bad this offensive line is. Yet it’s been productive. I think with really no big names but Zack Martin they really don’t know how to gauge it because they all said we would suck this year yet it hasn’t happened.

he still struggles a lot in Pass protection. he hasnt been a big liability though and that is all we can ask for at this point.