News: NFL Mid-Season Top 25 Rookie Rankings - No Tyler Smith

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Tyron was a monster as a rookie. Made PFFs all rookie team and was the highest rookie OT they had graded in years. He was raw too, but was a much better rookie.

I feel like Biadisz has turned into an above average C.

Tyler aside, the weak links for me are LG and RT.
Tyron started on the right side as a rookie and had 7 penalties and gave up 9.5 sks.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Tyron started on the right side as a rookie and had 7 penalties and gave up 9.5 sks.

PFF has him (Tyron) at 7 penalties and 8 sacks for rookie year. Tyler is tracking to surpass that and we’re not taking into consideration him having the worst pass block sim rate in football earlier in the year.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Hey, I really hope I’m wrong.
Right now, both Tyler/Steele are plus run blockers, but still need development with pass protection. They both possess that so called want to be great. We have seen tremendous improvement from Steele and he was an undrafted player, imagine what Tyler will look like at the same stage.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
PFF has him (Tyron) at 7 penalties and 8 sacks for rookie year. Tyler is tracking to surpass that and we’re not taking into consideration him having the worst pass block sim rate in football earlier in the year.
google other sites. washington post, stats

ghst187

Reaction score
Tyron was a monster as a rookie. Made PFFs all rookie team and was the highest rookie OT they had graded in years. He was raw too, but was a much better rookie.

I feel like Biadisz has turned into an above average C.

Tyler aside, the weak links for me are LG and RT.

i think Steele has played pretty well.

kumizi

Reaction score
He’s been good based on the expectations we had of him being a raw rookie from a small school and didn’t get snaps at LT in training camp.

However, if we aren’t grading him on a curve, he’s been extremely mediocre.

It’s just like Demarcus Lawrence. Most fans have no idea who is or isn’t playing well unless you’re getting sacks or giving up sacks.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Right now, both Tyler/Steele are plus run blockers, but still need development with pass protection. They both possess that so called want to be great. We have seen tremendous improvement from Steele and he was an undrafted player, imagine what Tyler will look like at the same stage.

Good assessment…Steele has surprised me though and turned into an average RT which is better than most. Id extend him if it’s reasonable.

cnuball21

Reaction score
He’s been good based on the expectations we had of him being a raw rookie from a small school and didn’t get snaps at LT in training camp.

However, if we aren’t grading him on a curve, he’s been extremely mediocre.

It’s just like Demarcus Lawrence. Most fans have no idea who is or isn’t playing well unless you’re getting sacks or giving up sacks.

Good post. He’s exceeded my expectations for sure but they were really low to be honest.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Speaking of Steele on the Break a few days ago, Eatman said the Cowboys tried to extend Steele but his agent wants to wait. What do you think the Cowboys should do? I would give him the 1st round tender in the offseason and see if someone bites.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
No matter where he is rated he is earning his paycheck dude is kicking butt for a rookie LT in the NFL

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Speaking of Steele on the Break a few days ago, Eatman said the Cowboys tried to extend Steele but his agent wants to wait. What do you think the Cowboys should do? I would give him the 1st round tender in the offseason and see if someone bites.
They will get an extension done at some point and they still have another season to get it done

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Make no mistake about it, Tyler Smith is a top 15 rookie.....in the end.

Creeper

Reaction score
I was surprised by this as well, but even more surprised at some of the players who did make the list. Kayvon Thibodeaux made the list and he has missed some games. The description "he's produced key pressures late in closely contested games" is a joke. Sam Williams has had key sacks and key tackles for losses. By this standard he should have made the list.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
They will get an extension done at some point and they still have another season to get it done
He's a restricted free agent in 2023 and since he's a udfa they will need to tender him higher than original draft pick or he'll be free to leave if they don't match without compensation.

The RFA tenders are classified as follows:

First-round tender: One-year contract worth the greater of (a) $5.562 million or (b) 110 percent of the player's prior-year base salary. If the player's original team decides not to match an offer sheet signed with another team, it is entitled to a first-round draft pick from the player's new team. Unless received two days or later prior to the NFL draft, draft compensation for each tender is due in the same league year as the offer sheet is signed.

A signed offer sheet with a new team includes Principal Terms that must be matched by the prior club. However, if the new team includes terms that waive or limit its ability to designate the RFA a franchise player, the old team will not have to match this term if it has tendered the player with an offer worth $500,000 more than the first-round tender ($6.062 million in 2022).

Second-round tender: One-year contract worth the greater of (a) $3.986 million or (b) 110 percent of the player's prior-year base salary. Draft-choice compensation: second-round pick.

Original-round tender: One-year contract worth the greater of (a) $2.540 million or (b) 110 percent of the player's prior-year base salary. Draft-choice compensation: a pick in the round the player was originally drafted in.

Right-of-first-refusal tender: One-year contract worth $2.433 million. Team has the right to match any offer sheet signed with another team, but there is no draft compensation tied to this tender.

Upgraded tender: If a team places a first-round tender on a player who was selected outside of the first round, it can only receive a second-round pick as compensation for any of its other RFAs who were first-round draft picks. The same is true for the second-round tender -- if a team uses it on a player drafted in the third round or lower, it can only receive a third-round pick for any other second-round RFA it intends to tender. As an example, the Saints used a first-round RFA tender on QB/RB/WR/TE Taysom Hill during the 2020 offseason. Had New Orleans had any RFAs who were former first-round picks, it could only receive a second-round selection in return for a declined offer sheet.

RFA tender salary increases: Each of the tenders will increase by an additional amount during the 2021 and 2022 league years as follows: Right-of-first-refusal tender ($0), original-round tender ($50,000), second-round tender ($125,000) and first-round tender ($125,000). Due to the reduction in the salary cap in 2021, these tenders will only increase by the fixed amounts set above this offseason. Beginning in 2023, each of these tenders will only increase with this percentage of the salary cap (if any) from league year to league year.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting. NFL.Com doesn’t consider Tyler good enough to be considered in this list. Rookie offensive linemen who beat him include Ravens C Tyler Linderbaum (1st round, 25th pick), Panthers OT Ekim Ekwonu (1st round, 6th pick) Seahawks OT Abraham Lucas (3rd round), and Chargers OT Jamaree Salyer (6th round).

This is the mid-season ranking. FYI, Tyler was in the Top 25 first-quarter rankings but fell off for this update. Look at the Seahawks - 4 guys in the Top 25! Talk about a draft. Those guys and Geno Smith single-handedly kept Pete Carroll’s Seattle run alive. Linderbaum was my choice for OL at our pick but I don’t fault the Cowboys for selecting Smith because his positions were a much bigger need and there is no buyer’s remorse on him even if the media doesn’t consider him Top 25 anymore.

Link:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-rookie...2022-season-four-seahawks-in-top-25-but-jets-
tenor.gif