NFL Network reports that the Cowboys will work on signing their own FAs

408Cowboy

Reaction score
First it doesn't go against the cap until the player signs it and Lawrence ahsn't signed it yet. Second, if the Cowboys and Lawrence get a deal done say in May or June, that tag amount comes off the books and is replaced with whatever the new contract is for. As I said there is zero need to have to have Lawrence signed by tomorrow.
Funny I just saw this in the the CBA:

For Transition Players and Franchise Players, the tender will be included
in Team Salary when made until the player is signed, the Tender is withdrawn, the
Team’s rights are relinquished, or the Tuesday following the tenth game of the regular
season (if the player is unsigned).

Brax

Reaction score
So in other words............ same team as 2018 with a couple of mid round draft picks sprinkled in.

Sounds like a recipe for a SB run.
Only 1 is a FA , why work on 4 that are not. The Jones boys are really a joke.

Brax

Reaction score
Without the Cooper trade, this was yet another 7-9 or 8-8 team at best.

The whole idea is for an organization (and the fans for that matter) to understand what it is that they witnessed.

Dallas won a ton of close games all year and should have approached this offseason like they were a five hundred team.

Instead we are doing what we have always done.

Overvalue modest success.

Clutching our own to our bosoms, thinking we can't do better and just wait until next year and cross our fingers for some better luck.
Jerry has a superior football IQ, he see's value and greatness in players other people do not. He has personally built the Cowboys into a SB contender every year for the last 22 years ( in his eyes). This year will be same thing , "I feel we have a real shot at the SB with the team I built" So sad another failed season ahead.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Right. Like a I said, you are not understanding the dynamics.

Then explain these dynamics you think there are that means the Cowboys have to sign Lawrence by tomorrow. This aught to be good. I've got my popcorn ready.
Funny I just saw this in the the CBA:

For Transition Players and Franchise Players, the tender will be included
in Team Salary when made until the player is signed, the Tender is withdrawn, the
Team’s rights are relinquished, or the Tuesday following the tenth game of the regular
season (if the player is unsigned).

I went back and reread that and on the part about when the tag counts you are right, BUT that still doesn't make having to sign Lawrence by 3:00 today as the highest priority. The rules on tags give the Cowboys until July to get a long term deal done . The while idea of the tag is to prevent a player from hitting free agency and losing him. If the tag was as detrimental to the team as you seem to think the owners wouldn't have been the ones that fought so hard for them in the current CBA.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Then explain these dynamics you think there are that means the Cowboys have to sign Lawrence by tomorrow. This aught to be good. I've got my popcorn ready.

I went back and reread that and on the part about when the tag counts you are right, BUT that still doesn't make having to sign Lawrence by 3:00 today as the highest priority. The rules on tags give the Cowboys until July to get a long term deal done . The while idea of the tag is to prevent a player from hitting free agency and losing him. If the tag was as detrimental to the team as you seem to think the owners wouldn't have been the ones that fought so hard for them in the current CBA.
Pointing out a benefit of getting him signed ahead of or in the beginning of free agency doesn't mean I think it's detrimental to the team at all. You said there were none so I gave an example that's it.

keds

Reaction score
Which comination of stud free agent defensive lineman and safety (both around 12- 18 million a year in salary each) would have put our defense over the top?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Pointing out a benefit of getting him signed ahead of or in the beginning of free agency doesn't mean I think it's detrimental to the team at all. You said there were none so I gave an example that's it.

No you didn't. All you said was I didn't understand the dynamics, or at least what you think the dynamics are.