NFL owners pass rule to place ball at 25 following fair catches on kickoffs

conner01

Reaction score
Players know the risks. They are informed and can choose to not participate in a dangerous occupation.

It is getting ridiculous at this point. Either ban the sport or let guys choose to take the risks as informed adults.

There are lots of jobs and activities that aren't safe. Should we outlaw skydiving? People sometimes get killed doing that. How about bicycle riding? People get head injuries doing that.
That’s a bit dramatic. Hundreds of former players have had issues with concussions and a few tweaks to the game can prevent a lot of them. Once they moved the KO up it hasn’t been a big part of very many games anyway

Jfconrow

Reaction score
I don’t get it what if it’s one of those short onside kicks? If the player fair catches it it at the 40 it goes back to the 25? I’d start kicking those mid range short kicks and level the player if he doesn’t fair catch it. Or he drops it.

MS17

Reaction score
I don’t get it what if it’s one of those short onside kicks? If the player fair catches it it at the 40 it goes back to the 25? I’d start kicking those mid range short kicks and level the player if he doesn’t fair catch it. Or he drops it.
That is a very fair point. Unfortunately, the idea is way beyond the scope and attention span of the owners and rules committee, and requires more imagination than required to improve the game.

links18

Reaction score
They should go to Canadian rules. Outlaw the fair catch altogether, but the returner has to have a fair opportunity to catch the ball without getting nailed right away.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
They should go to Canadian rules. Outlaw the fair catch altogether, but the returner has to have a fair opportunity to catch the ball without getting nailed right away.

Yup, there are several CFL rules that I'd like the NFL to introduce. The fair catch and single being two of them.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You can't fair catch an onside kick.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
You can't fair catch an onside kick.
Yes you can, those short pooch kicks or kick it high to the second line or the guy on the field with the worst hands. Not those kicks that bounce off the ground but those bloopers. I’d do a blooper kickoff every time. Worst case the team moves back to the 25 now, apparently.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Personally, I dislike the rule. Firstly, special team is a key part of several people's jobs. For a lot of a roster, they depend on special teams to stay on the squad. This hampers that. Secondly, I'm someone who, as a former kicker, likes the kicking game. But, the return game is fun and it's because it just takes a few missed tackles for a TD to happen. This robs that from happening to an extent. Finally, I think this is, to an extent, an overblowing of player safety. Yes, player safety is important, but this is a bit of an overcorrection imo. Especially when you watch how kickoffs in rugby and Aussie Rules are done. In rugby, there is no fair catch.
They're turning the NFL into 7 on 7 flag football.
The receiving team has little incentive to ever return a kick, and the kicking team has no way to make them.
Kickoffs are just 5 minute bathroom breaks that end with the refs spotting the ball on the 25.

NO FUN LEAGUE

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yes you can, those short pooch kicks or kick it high to the second line or the guy on the field with the worst hands. Not those kicks that bounce off the ground but those bloopers. I’d do a blooper kickoff every time. Worst case the team moves back to the 25 now, apparently.
I assume if you fair catch it past the 25, you get the ball where you catch it.

I wonder, though, can you fair catch an onsides kick to prevent them from "interfering" with you?

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I assume if you fair catch it past the 25, you get the ball where you catch it.

I wonder, though, can you fair catch an onsides kick to prevent them from "interfering" with you?
Its a live ball as soon as it hits the ground. So no.

There is no way that if you fair catch it at the 40 they move it back to the 25.

It doesnt apply to punts, which you can already fair catch or let it hit the ground.

Jeesh. This thread is all over the place.

Worst thing about this is that it potentially helps teams with poor kickoff kickers. Which really may be a good thing. Perhaps more kickers getting looks that otherwise havent because they dont have a super big leg.

This will only affect a handful of kicks. My guess is that if its inside the 5, you'll see more fair catches. Short of the 5, they'll run it out.

Not at all a big deal IMO. Certainly not the downfall of the NFL.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Clearly the player safety issue is driving this.

Wish this much effort was put into getting training for refs so they will be better.

yeah, because trying to the number reduce life-altering head injuries is much less important than getting PI calls right every time.

Bad take, little doggie.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
So why waste time with a kick off? After a score just place the ball on the 25 yard line. The only reason for a kick-off is that the NFL/owners/TV channels get two sets of advertisements in quick succession.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I didn't read the new rule, but I have to assume the ball would be spotted at the point of the catch, if it's beyond the 25.

DCwarrior

Reaction score
The goal is to get players to fair catch the ball to avoid the hits involved in blocking and tackling. That is why the 25 yard line was chosen, to reward receiving team for fair catch.