NFL proposes 18 game schedule

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So fans get to pay for 2 more exhibition games. The NFL is such a clown car.

They already are. This will just be a swap of two meaningless preseason games for two that count.

For me hockey is taking over. Baseball next. College Football. If Goodell continues I will more interested in Bass Fishing tournaments.

Sorry to hear that, this works for me.

jsb357

Reaction score
18 game schedule is stupid...

it's already a game a attrition

I say keep the 16 game schedule but have a COMMON bye week mid-season.
that finalizes the trade dead line and during the week teams can expanding the roster
by 4 players however, those 4 must become UFA's after Super Bowl Sunday.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Great for the owners, players will get paid more due to an increase in the salary cap.
Who said anything about a salary cap increase? The players aren't getting paid more. They are getting paid just the same for the same amount of time played. That's why there is a proposed game limit.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I honestly just don’t want 18 games period.

I love the NFL. Love it. There’s nothing like football season. There’s nothing like buying a bunch of good food and watching games all day on Sundays with family and friends. It’s awesome.

I miss football dearly when the season is over.

That being said. I don’t want more games with lesser players.

Also, one of the things that makes football so special is how important every game is. Every single game is a big event in the NFL. Because every single game is so important to making the playoffs. Wins are thrilling and losses can feel crushing. That emotional high/low is also part of what makes football as amazing as it is to me. It’s one of the main reasons I struggle to enjoy baseball and I don’t watch much NBA in the first half of that season. So many games. Early in the season, a win or loss doesn’t feel like it matters.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
They already are. This will just be a swap of two meaningless preseason games for two that count.

Sorry to hear that, this works for me.

Under the guise that these games are regular season. They’ll charge the full amount. Product is already watered down. They should expand the rosters and just leave the game alone.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Imagine the pressure that coaches will face for "sitting" a star player and it results in losing a seemingly winnable game and the team misses the playoffs.

Example, Garrett sits Dak against a bad Cardinals team expecting an easy win. Cooper Rush poops the bed and we lose. Cowboys end up losing the division or wildcard by one game.

For this and other reasons, I'm not a fan. Just expand the rosters and increase the amount of game-day active players.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Who said anything about a salary cap increase? The players aren't getting paid more. They are getting paid just the same for the same amount of time played. That's why there is a proposed game limit.
The NFLPA is not going to agree to what you speculated.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Imagine the pressure that coaches will face for "sitting" a star player and it results in losing a seemingly winnable game and the team misses the playoffs.

Example, Garrett sits Dak against a bad Cardinals team expecting an easy win. Cooper Rush poops the bed and we lose. Cowboys end up losing the division or wildcard by one game.

For this and other reasons, I'm not a fan. Just expand the rosters and increase the amount of game-day active players.
QB’s may be exempted.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
With a 16 game limit per player.

Not a fan of the 16 player limit on an 18 game schedule. Rather see them add a team or two in the playoffs. Would hate going to see your team play, only to find your favorite players are sitting for the game.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The NFLPA is not going to agree to what you speculated.
I didn't speculate anything. I'm just going by what has already been stated. The players union shouldn't agree to this dumb idea just so the league can profit on two more games without paying the players more.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
If it results in larger rosters then that's more jobs for players, which would likely get NFLPA support.

The two additional meaningful games means they can bleed the cash cow TV networks even further. This grows the whole pie, including the players' part since they get a percentage.

This would allow teams a built in avenue to rest hurting players and would really give a a greater advantage to teams with better player acquisition skills. Deeper rosters talent-wise will matter even more. This isn't as bad an idea as it sounds at first glance. Especially if there are some built in exemptions for K, P, LS and even QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
18 games is fine with additional roster spots and play everyone . NFL needs to Pay Up.