NFL proposes 18 game schedule

Galian Beast

Reaction score
These owners are absolutely ruining the game. They think people want to buy tickets for games and play roulette with the odds that they'll even get to see their favorite players play? I can't wait for the NFL to start losing revenue.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, what if they were to arbitrarily designate the players to sit out in a random select computerized fashion and take it out of the HC's hands? A team could preselect a certain number of key players that are out for select games but all the rest go into the system. This would have to be done prior to the start of the season.

If they don't do that, they're going to have to have some declaration point in order for teams to prepare. And this has a built in trap for some coaches tanking games.

I don't think this idea is nothing more than trying to get around paying the players for 18 because the owners get full price for preseason and do not pay regular season game checks now. It has nothing to do with player safety. But a WC team that can make it to the SB would have their players in 22 games, about double what college does.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Don't want Dak playing with a backup oline

I don't think you would see that. I think you would see the second-string offense get two games a year maybe with some mix of the skill players on the outside.

Teams would look at their calendar and see which games they think the backup QBs can win. It's a great idea for backup QBs who will end up getting paid big bucks. It's a terrible thing for the fans who go to the actual games.

People will think it doesn't screw up stats, but many players will almost certainly end up with easier competition every game.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Well you said “They are getting paid just the same for the same amount of time played.” So what did you mean?
The proposal is for all players to only play a max of 16 games. Nowhere was more pay for players proposed.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
This new strategy is fantasy football.

The dilemma of drafting all different bye weeks... or everyone with the same bye week and eating the loss.

I can see it now. “Bill Belichick has informed Jay Gruden that since the Commanders aren’t viewed as a competent organization, they’re gonna go ahead and sit Tom Brady for that game.”
:lmao::lmao2::lmao:

,,,er,,,that was kinda' humorous,,, BUT,,,it still don't mean we're pals,,,er,,,PALo_O

:lmao:

Londonboy

Reaction score
Stop testing the players for dope and start testing the league officials and owners.
This idea sounds like one of those ideas that come up in 4am conversations when You've drunk all the booze, even that weird green liqueur in the strangely shaped bottle with Cyrillic writing that tasted like window cleaner.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The requirement of 16 game limit per player is to attempt to prevent "load management" NBA style. The NFLPA shouldn't agree to minimum 16 game per player, if any sport requires "load management" it is the NFL. These guys take a BEATING!
I think it's 16 game max, not min. The max was to help players, not hurt them

My guess is that roster sizes will also be increased with this.
I would think they'd also reduce the preseason schedule

Still seems weird

Would add a huge premium to having a good backup QB, as no matter what, they would play two full games per year

Position flex would become huge

erod

Reaction score
Teams would wait until November to sit starters. Injuries will take care of most of it.

What if Dallas is in a playoff race all year, but Dak, Amari, and Zeke can't play the final two games?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The increase in roster size was not part of the proposal thus far. They are still in the discussion, so it could still happen.

erod

Reaction score
But how does that help with QB, K, P, and LS?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The 18 game schedule is happening one way or another. The players will probably trade weed for it.

The owners have absolutely pwned the NFLPA the last several CBA's.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Are we going to talk about what is actually being proposed or throw out our own Ideas on how to implement this idea? I say this because one has nothing to do with the other.

erod

Reaction score
The least important games are non-conference games.

So if this was in place already, would Dallas and New England sit Brady and Dak?

What if Philly didn't have to play Brady and Dallas did?

Messy.

DFWJC

Reaction score
But how does that help with QB, K, P, and LS?
Would certainly add a premium to backup QBs and the kicking would be real weird. Roster size and practice squads would have to get bigger...which puts more players in the league

I think coached would juggle players at least some and not sit entire units at the same time. So position flex comes into play

Chances are, the owners are just throwing something extreme out there to start negotiations.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Assuming everyone plans for game 18 to be a rest game, you're looking at 22 starters taking one game off each over 17 games. So it's a little over one starter per game. Probably less than one starter per game given injuries. Hard for me to get too worked up about that.

I do see another big problem with this, though. If I'm the Cowboys and I'm in a competitive battle for the division title, and I'm about to play the Patriots, or whoever the strongest AFC team happens to be, on the road, I'd be pretty tempted just to sit all my starters and dump that game. Interconference games are the least meaningful for tiebreakers, and I figure we have a pretty low chance of winning a road AFC game against a really good team anyway. Throw that one game and play at full strength against everyone else. That behavior would be good for the Cowboys but really bad for the league.

I don’t see anyway teams would plan for the 18th game to be a rest game. Nor would fans want that.

Fans and the NFL want there to be some games that have playoffs on the line the last week of the season.

Sure really bad teams and really good teams it wouldn’t matter, but teams that have something to gain, wouldn’t want to be stuck having to sit starters.

slick325

Reaction score
I see that De Smith has been quoted as saying "I don't see [it] being in the best interest of our players." as it pertains to this topic we are discussing (18 game seasons).