NFL: Roster Cuts to 53 Tracker

lostar2009

Reaction score
Outplayed is one thing, but not good enough to be the 5th Safety seems odd. Lovie Smith is the HC in Tampa and was his Head Coach in Chicago when Marinelli was the DC. Usually, new HCs want some of their previous players to help implement the scheme at the new team.
Yeah I think when he was in Chicago Movie scheme was not being played the way he wanted it to be, maybe more towards Rod Marinelli taste.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Gotta go get him.

I would. The most proven outside pass rusher at this point is George Selvie and it remains to be seen how he'll do with him being the most proven guy. His 2nd half of 2013 wasn't as strong as his first half was.

Sam basically had a preseason that was every bit as good (could be better depending on how many snaps each rushed the passer) as Selvie did last year and that was good enough to put Selvie on the roster.

With Lawrence out and Spencer basically a giant question mark, Sam would probably be the 2nd or 3rd best pass rusher in Dallas. Not because Sam is great. Just because the team has so little on the DL right now.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I would. The most proven outside pass rusher at this point is George Selvie and it remains to be seen how he'll do with him being the most proven guy. His 2nd half of 2013 wasn't as strong as his first half was.

Sam basically had a preseason that was every bit as good (could be better depending on how many snaps each rushed the passer) as Selvie did last year and that was good enough to put Selvie on the roster.

With Lawrence out and Spencer basically a giant question mark, Sam would probably be the 2nd or 3rd best pass rusher in Dallas. Not because Sam is great. Just because the team has so little on the DL right now.

Cowboys supposedly did not like Sam because they value speed and athleticism, which Sam does not have, at least not when he is being timed and tested in Ts and shorts. In any event what about Dontay Moch, he has speed out the wazoo - fastest OLB/DE at 2011 combine (4.44) and decent size at 6-2 255. Was also the WAC DPOY in 2010.

And I know many were high on S Danieal Manning because of his familiarity with Marinelli's D. Like Melton, former pro bowler plus has SB experience.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Cowboys supposedly did not like Sam because they value speed and athleticism, which Sam does not have, at least not when he is being timed and tested in Ts and shorts. In any event what about Dontay Moch, he has speed out the wazoo - fastest OLB/DE at 2011 combine (4.44) and decent size at 6-2 255. Was also the WAC DPOY in 2010.

And I know many were high on S Danieal Manning because of his familiarity with Marinelli's D. Like Melton, former pro bowler plus has SB experience.

Three preseason sacks on limited time against whatever they threw at him is impressive. Regardless of whether they liked him or not in the draft, he can help this team NOW... I'm going to go out on a slight limb and say many NFL teams (incl our beloved Cowboys) now place a higher value on his speed and athleticism. A guy that can disrupt from the corner regularly is a hot commodity on any of these NFL squads. There's also something about a guy that has "something to prove" that makes that motor run a little faster.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Bringing Sam into the Cowboys, would be pretty analogous to pouring 5 gallons of gasoline on a backyard bon-fire.

If he was a really good player at this point, I would strongly consider it but he's not.- he is a borderline prospect.

He's camp filler with a slim chance of it payingoff, which he qppqrently didn't impress the RAMS

As it is we have, an exremely thin DT, BUT id rather go with some of the guys we already have.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Bringing Sam into the Cowboys, would be pretty analogous to pouring 5 gallons of gasoline on a backyard bon-fire.

If he was a really good player at this point, I would strongly consider it but he's not.- he is a borderline prospect.

He's camp filler with a slim chance of it payingoff, which he qppqrently didn't impress the RAMS

As it is we have, an exremely thin DT, BUT id rather go with some of the guys we already have.

He can immediately start at one of our DE spots. Sad but true. You have mistaken the Rams course of action. They have no less than 6 starting caliber DEs. He would have never seen the field there. We have zero.

That's why it is usually best to have options as a UDRFA instead of being chosen in the 7th round. At least the free agent route allows you to select the best situation at your position out of however many offers.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I know of a few players that have gone on to have long successful careers in the NFL by strategically placing themselves in the right situations as UDRFA. Sam never had that choice. Being drafted in the 7th round by a team loaded at your position is a death sentence if you're not a LB, Safety, RB or otherwise that can excel on STs.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
He can immediately start at one of our DE spots. Sad but true. You have mistaken the Rams course of action. They have no less than 6 starting caliber DEs. He would have never seen the field there. We have zero.

That's why it is usually best to have options as a UDRFA instead of being chosen in the 7th round. At least the free agent route allows you to select the best situation at your position out of however many offers.
This is laughable, he's nowhere near close to starting for anyone.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Three preseason sacks on limited time against whatever they threw at him is impressive. Regardless of whether they liked him or not in the draft, he can help this team NOW... I'm going to go out on a slight limb and say many NFL teams (incl our beloved Cowboys) now place a higher value on his speed and athleticism. A guy that can disrupt from the corner regularly is a hot commodity on any of these NFL squads. There's also something about a guy that has "something to prove" that makes that motor run a little faster.

Sam is PS eligible. I really do not see the risk in bringing him in and kicking the tires for ourselves.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Sam is PS eligible. I really do not see the risk in bringing him in and kicking the tires for ourselves.

On that basis, I agree...but applied, I want something closer to road legal for my repair shop.

Smith22

Reaction score
Just heard this morning the Ravens kept 7 WRs and only 4 CBs. Jimmy Smith has been injured and L. Webb missed the entire preseason. Interesting.