NFL Rules Question: Intentional Grounding *Merge*

JBS

Reaction score
Quick question for you guys regarding the nfl rule book on intentional grounding. On the one skins play where I believe it was a handoff to randle el and he threw the ball away. Is the intentional grounding rule waived once the ball if handed off or do the same rules apply? I thought it was a sure fire intetional grounding but multiple people that I was watching the game with mentioned to me that - that was not the case since the ball was handed off, which is something I have never heard before. Just want some clairification. Thanks..

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
It's the two times that Campbell through the ball away that I'm pretty sure are technically "grounding" and were not called. Can a grounding penalty be called on a player that cannot be sacked which was the case with Randall El?

EastDallasCowboy

Reaction score
there were atleast two uncalled intentional grounding calls.

one was the randle el pass you mentioned, in which he was certainly in the pocket/tacklebox and certainly threw it away without a receiver even on the screen. though i too assumed that since it was a wr throwing it thats why it wasnt called.

there was also a campbell pass with....i think ellis....coming from his blindside in which he was certainly in the tacklebox and threw it away. was late q2 if memory serves. i was screaming at my tv.

deadrody

Reaction score
Good question about the hand off part of the rule. But I agree with How About, Campbell was guilty of at least two intentional grounding infractions. Odd how the NFL and officials emphasize some things over others. Romo was brutalized by intentional grounding calls in one game earlier this year and I don't think any of the throws in that game were any worse than the ones Campbell made last night.

dirtycallahan

Reaction score
Did they also do away with the delay of game penalty for spinning the ball after a play? I have seen that called 1 time on TO, but never called again. Every game I see players from other teams doing that over and over.

kmd24

Reaction score
dirtycallahan;2425730 said:
Did they also do away with the delay of game penalty for spinning the ball after a play? I have seen that called 1 time on TO, but never called again. Every game I see players from other teams doing that over and over.

Spinning is apparently OK. Spiking the ball is not. I guess a spike often takes more time to retrieve. Or something.

2much2soon

Reaction score
One of Campbell's throw-aways was questionable; there was a receiver somewhat near.
The other one, with Ellis chasing him, he was clearly still in the tackle box and nobody near where he threw the ball out of bounds.

Looked like the refs were really asleep last night. They missed lots of calls on both teams.

kmd24

Reaction score
glorydaysrback;2425671 said:
Quick question for you guys regarding the nfl rule book on intentional grounding. On the one skins play where I believe it was a handoff to randle el and he threw the ball away. Is the intentional grounding rule waived once the ball if handed off or do the same rules apply? I thought it was a sure fire intetional grounding but multiple people that I was watching the game with mentioned to me that - that was not the case since the ball was handed off, which is something I have never heard before. Just want some clairification. Thanks..

I believe that the rule refers only to a "passer," so ARE could have been called for IG if he was within the tackles.

edit: Yes, it refers only to a "passer" http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/intentionalgrounding

AbeBeta

Reaction score
On that Randal el play it wasn't that he was just about to take a sack -- the coverage wasn't there so he tossed it out of bounds - QBs are allowed to do that.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
this is the key phrase "imminent loss of yardage"

that means you are throwing it within a second of taking a sack. Otherwise it is just like spiking the ball.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
2much2soon;2425746 said:
Looked like the refs were really asleep last night. They missed lots of calls on both teams.

I thought they did well last night -- called obvious stuff but otherwise let the teams play - i doubt either team can point to the refs last night and say "if only the calls broke our way" -- that's a good thing

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Just a note for all of you --

As long as the ball goes past the line of scrimmage, it is not grounding even inside the tackle box!

Learn something every day! :)

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
HowAboutThemCowboys;2425702 said:
It's the two times that Campbell through the ball away that I'm pretty sure are technically "grounding" and were not called. Can a grounding penalty be called on a player that cannot be sacked which was the case with Randall El?

I thought the same thing watching the game. Why wasn't grounding called??? It sure should have been!

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
dirtycallahan;2425730 said:

You are absolutely correct. TO was called for it, but I have never seen anyone else called for it even though it has occurred many other times.

TX_Yid

Reaction score
casmith07;2425801 said:

As long as the ball goes past the line of scrimmage, it is not grounding even inside the tackle box!

has to be an eliglible receiver in the vicinity in this case though right?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
casmith07;2425801 said:

That's not true.

Kilyin

Reaction score
casmith07;2425801 said:

You're wrong.

Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, while out of the pocket and facing an imminent loss of yardage, throws a pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including if the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or end line).

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
casmith07;2425801 said:

:sarcasm:

JBS

Reaction score
casmith07;2425801 said:

this is not 100 percent true..the ball must cross the line of scrimmage and there must be an intended receiver in sight..just bc it crosses the LOS doesn't void the IG rule..