NFL Rules Question: Intentional Grounding *Merge*

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
i know one time i saw the QB about to get sacked and he through it way out of the back of the endzone and was hit with a grounding penalty.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Extreme;2426842 said:
I thought it was outside of the pocket from what they always say. I think as long as you're in the pocket, there is no intentional grounding. If that wasn't the case, Favre would get called 20 times a game.

From what they always say on the games, if you get out of the pocket and throw it where there is no chance of an eligible receiver catching it, then it is grounding.

fail.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Deane62;2427056 said:
Even when the QB is in the pocket they don't usually call it if the ball is thrown out of bounds. They only seem to call it if the ball is thrown into the ground away from any recievers.

they'll call it if it's thrown out of bounds before the QB is about to be sacked, but if noone is around him and he throws it out of bounds, it's not intentional grounding

the rule is put in place so that the D gets a fair advantage, or QBs would be throwing the ball out of bounds all the time if they are about to be sacked

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2427067 said:
they'll call it if it's thrown out of bounds before the QB is about to be sacked, but if noone is around him and he throws it out of bounds, it's not intentional grounding

the rule is put in place so that the D gets a fair advantage, or QBs would be throwing the ball out of bounds all the time if they are about to be sacked

that's a good description -- otherwise, spiking the ball would be grounding.

what folks get hung up on is the "avoiding a sack" part -- that really means the QB is a split second from getting nailed or being pulled down by the defender. Not that the guy would eventually be sacked if he didn't throw it away.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2427073 said:
that's a good description -- otherwise, spiking the ball would be grounding.

what folks get hung up on is the "avoiding a sack" part -- that really means the QB is a split second from getting nailed or being pulled down by the defender. Not that the guy would eventually be sacked if he didn't throw it away.

xactly

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Ren;2426977 said:
Eli Manning gets away with this more then any other QB in the league i remember one play in our first game with them last season when Spencer had him and he just spiked the ball

actually one of the real strengths of Manning's game is that he knows when to give up on a play. give up is not grounding.

Ren

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2427077 said:
actually one of the real strengths of Manning's game is that he knows when to give up on a play. give up is not grounding.

he spiked the ball while going down on the play i'm talking about that's grounding no matter how good he is at giving up on plays

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Ren;2427080 said:
he spiked the ball while going down on the play i'm talking about that's grounding no matter how good he is at giving up on plays

how is that "more times than any QB in the league" - I count one are you saying no other QB has ever gotten away with it?

Ren

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2427086 said:
how is that "more times than any QB in the league" - I count one are you saying no other QB has ever gotten away with it?

He does that kind of stuff all the time watch some Giants games, i can't be bothered to start naming every instance where there's a questionable non call with him. Opinions on this kinda stuff is very subjective much like the actual calls

Primetime42

Reaction score
Deane62;2427056 said:
Even when the QB is in the pocket they don't usually call it if the ball is thrown out of bounds. They only seem to call it if the ball is thrown into the ground away from any recievers.
Wish that was the case in the playoff game last year.

Yet another blown call from that day.

ayjackson

Reaction score
I guess the point of the original poster is that on two occasions, in the pocket and about to be sacked, Campbell air mailed the ball into the stands (slight exaggeration) and there wasn't even a second thought by the officials on the field or Al/John in the booth as to whether it should have been grounding.

On the first play, I could see an argument that there was a receiver in the general area and Campbell had already been hit (maybe), but in both cases there could really be no doubt as to his real intention.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
I'm glad someone else noticed this. I was on my feet yelling at the tv at least three times shouting intentional grounding.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2427067 said:

Unless you're Tony Romo in a playoff game against the NYFG's...

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Ren;2427093 said:
He does that kind of stuff all the time watch some Giants games, i can't be bothered to start naming every instance where there's a questionable non call with him. Opinions on this kinda stuff is very subjective much like the actual calls

you mean you can't be bothered to support your argument?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;2427224 said:
I'm glad someone else noticed this. I was on my feet yelling at the tv at least three times shouting intentional grounding.

uh oh.

sounds like someone doesn't understand the grounding rule!

school your boy daddy.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
LandryFan;2427239 said:

Beat me to it. People forget just how incorrect that call was as well as damaging to our chances given it was our next to last shot in the 4th quarter.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
sonnyboy;2427256 said:
Beat me to it. People forget just how incorrect that call was as well as damaging to our chances given it was our next to last shot in the 4th quarter.

Ain't that the truth, Sonny!

Padd

Reaction score
LandryFan;2427239 said:

The thought of that play still ticks me off! Those calls hurt us bad. The other one that disgusts me was the personal foul against Leonard Davis for unnecessary roughness...when Strahan was trying to get to his feet 2 yards from Romo and Davis drilled him back down with his shoulder...complete BS! Let 'em play! It's the playoffs for goodness sakes!

Ren

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2427242 said:
you mean you can't be bothered to support your argument?

If you say so, I really don't feel the need to validate my opinion with you or anyone else :rolleyes:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Ren;2427382 said:
If you say so, I really don't feel the need to validate my opinion with you or anyone else :rolleyes:

I think you mean that you don't need to change your opinion after the rules got explained to you.

being ignorant is one thing. choosing to stay so is another.