NFL Rules Question: Intentional Grounding *Merge*

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
To be called while QB is inside the pocket:
- The ball must not be caught
- The throw was intended to avoid a loss of yards (sack)
- QB must throw in an area with no receiver

To be called while QB is outside the pocket:
- The ball must not be caught
- The throw was intended to avoid a loss of yards (sack)
- QB must throw it past the line of scrimmage
- QB is allowed to throw it in an area with no receiver

edit: i just checked it doesnt matter if its inbounds or not.
edit2: clarify more

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
Hypnotoad;2425870 said:
To be called:
- QB must be inside the pocket
- QB must throw the ball inbounds

I believe you are corect. I remember Romo being called for intentioanl grounding in the playoof game last year, with the league later apologizing for the error. The "area with no receiver" seems to be a subjective thing. I'm sure I'm not the only one who sees this area as not being called consistently.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Hypnotoad;2425870 said:
To be called:
- QB must be inside the pocket

edit: i just checked it doesnt matter if its inbounds or not.

The quarterback also must be facing an "imminent loss of yardage." (That's the part the officials blew when they called Romo for it in the playoffs.)

However, the quarterback does not have to be in the pocket. If he's out of the pocket, he still has to throw it to the line of scrimmage or near a receiver.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2425899 said:
The quarterback also must be facing an "imminent loss of yardage." (That's the part the officials blew when they called Romo for it in the playoffs.)

However, the quarterback does not have to be in the pocket. If he's out of the pocket, he still has to throw it to the line of scrimmage or near a receiver.

even if he's out of the pocket he has to throw it near a WR i thought he could just throw it away.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
You guys are right, I stand corrected. I looked it up on the NFL rules site and here's what I got:

NFL Rulebook said:
Intentional Grounding of Forward Pass
Intentional grounding of a forward pass is a foul: loss of down and 10 yards from previous spot if passer is in the field of play or loss of down at the spot of the foul if it occurs more than 10 yards behind the line or safety if passer is in his own end zone when ball is released.
Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.
Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, while out of the pocket and facing an imminent loss of yardage, throws a pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including if the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or end line).

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2425907 said:
even if he's out of the pocket he has to throw it near a WR i thought he could just throw it away.

No, he just has to throw it at least to the line of scrimmage or past it. That's why most guys throw it way out of bounds to the sideline 20-30 yards downfield.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Sometimes refs take it too far especially in cases of receiver doing a slant when the qb is throwing an out and their is "pressure" they go romo with that a couple times when I think crayton and curtis both did the wrong route and tony thought they would be where he threw it, and their was pressure in his face.

juck

Reaction score
If u hand the ball off u cannot get intentional grounding,but both of campbells throws were.Thats what they said on the ticket.The one dude on the ticket said then why dont u just hike it to the rb and the rb give it to the qb,lol.Then he can do whatever he wants with it apperantly.

jordan20

Reaction score
Could someone explain the grounding rules. I thought it was grounding if you are still inside the tackles and throw it 15\20yards out of bounds? I thought Campbell did this multiple times last night.

Extreme

Benched
Reaction score
I thought it was outside of the pocket from what they always say. I think as long as you're in the pocket, there is no intentional grounding. If that wasn't the case, Favre would get called 20 times a game.

From what they always say on the games, if you get out of the pocket and throw it where there is no chance of an eligible receiver catching it, then it is grounding.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jordan20;2426839 said:
Could someone explain the grounding rules. I thought it was grounding if you are still inside the tackles and throw it 15\20yards out of bounds? I thought Campbell did this multiple times last night.

I think if it goes past the LOS it's okay.

jordan20

Reaction score
Extreme;2426842 said:
I thought it was outside of the pocket from what they always say. I think as long as you're in the pocket, there is no intentional grounding. If that wasn't the case, Favre would get called 20 times a game.

From what they always say on the games, if you get out of the pocket and throw it where there is no chance of an eligible receiver catching it, then it is grounding.

If you are outside of the tackles you can do this as long as the ball makes it back to the line of scrimmage.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Extreme;2426842 said:

No.

Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.

Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, while out of the pocket and facing an imminent loss of yardage, throws a pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including if the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or end line).

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Out of the pocket and under duress are the keys. Although I've seen it called when there was no imminent danger of losing yardage.

Extreme

Benched
Reaction score
jobberone;2426879 said:
Out of the pocket and under duress are the keys. Although I've seen it called when there was on imminent danger of losing yardage.
Steve Young was the poster child for this :laugh2:

Ren

Reaction score
Eli Manning gets away with this more then any other QB in the league i remember one play in our first game with them last season when Spencer had him and he just spiked the ball

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Ren;2426977 said:
Eli Manning gets away with this more then any other QB in the league i remember one play in our first game with them last season when Spencer had him and he just spiked the ball
Eli did that last weekend also.

Deane62

Reaction score
Even when the QB is in the pocket they don't usually call it if the ball is thrown out of bounds. They only seem to call it if the ball is thrown into the ground away from any recievers.