NFL Rumors: Here’s What’s Stalling Potential Earl Thomas-Cowboys Trade

ShiningStar

Reaction score
To all the people saying they would only offer a 4th rounder or worse for Earl Thomas - are you aware that if Dallas traded for him and let him leave as a free agent after one year, they would probably get a compensatory 3rd round pick in return? It seems pretty unlikely that Seattle will accept a trade where their compensation is less than what they would receive by letting Earl walk after a year.

you are aware if we do that, we are only doing it for the pick. again, Dallas is not 1 or 2 players away from winning anything. Its going to take maybe 2 seasons to get it together, and thats if they pull off magic they have yet to pull off under Garrett.

So why are we doing it? Do you or anyone thinks ET is so good he can change the defense around just by being on teh field? Does he make Rod get more sacks? Does he make the DBs more aggressive?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
you are aware if we do that, we are only doing it for the pick. again, Dallas is not 1 or 2 players away from winning anything. Its going to take maybe 2 seasons to get it together, and thats if they pull off magic they have yet to pull off under Garrett.

So why are we doing it? Do you or anyone thinks ET is so good he can change the defense around just by being on teh field? Does he make Rod get more sacks? Does he make the DBs more aggressive?

Idk what you're trying to say in the first paragraph, but we would do it to enhance our roster. Yes Earl Thomas being on the field makes our defense better. "Rod" already had 38 sacks last year and Earl would improve that. Yes the safeties could then be more aggresive because Thomas is covering behind them instead of a scrub like Heath.

Now why wouldnt anyone give a 3rd for him?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Not more than a 4th honestly. Hes hitting 30 hasnt been healthy last 3 years.

He is a FA next season. Its not like hes the missing Piece to our Championship Run this Season so we can just wait a year and sign him as a FA next Offseason if we want.

Can we stop with the "He's hitting 30" BS.

HE TURNED 28 12 DAYS AGO

Saying "hes almost 30" is a ridiculous statement that should never be said again. Its completely fictitious.
He has two FULL years before hitting 30. And safeties last longer.

Also "hasnt been healthy last thrre years" another completely made up statement. Played all 18 games for Seattle in 2015.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Idk what you're trying to say in the first paragraph, but we would do it to enhance our roster. Yes Earl Thomas being on the field makes our defense better. "Rod" already had 38 sacks last year and Earl would improve that. Yes the safeties could then be more aggresive because Thomas is covering behind them instead of a scrub like Heath.

Now why wouldnt anyone give a 3rd for him?

because again, as a football team Dallas cant get it together. We arent winning anything this season, i dont even know if we can win it next season and if Garrett is tossed this season its going to take a new HC at least one or two seasons to turn things around. How old is ET at that time?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
because again, as a football team Dallas cant get it together. We arent winning anything this season, i dont even know if we can win it next season and if Garrett is tossed this season its going to take a new HC at least one or two seasons to turn things around. How old is ET at that time?

I really have no idea what you're trying to say.

Are you saying that since we MIGHT not win the whole thing in the next couple of years we shouldn't acquire elite talent? We very well could win it all next year, so the point is likely moot.

ET isnt old right now, so doesnt really matte how old he'll be during whatever season you think we'll be contenders.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I really have no idea what you're trying to say.

Are you saying that since we MIGHT not win the whole thing in the next couple of years we shouldn't acquire elite talent? We very well could win it all next year, so the point is likely moot.

ET isnt old right now, so doesnt really matte how old he'll be during whatever season you think we'll be contenders.

im saying, putting up picks for talent that wont really make a difference isnt worth doing at this stage. back in 2015 to 2016 when we were 1 of 2 players away, sure. But than Dallas revamped thier D, so that set us back. Now we are even pushed back further. I dont like the idea of tossing picks for mercenaries when we arent that close.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
im saying, putting up picks for talent that wont really make a difference isnt worth doing at this stage.

ET would make a difference. He's an elite talent.

back in 2015 to 2016 when we were 1 of 2 players away, sure. But than Dallas revamped thier D, so that set us back.

Lol we are no worse off now than we were in 2015. Way better CBs, Hell of a lot better Dline, and after the draft likely better LBs. Replacing Church will be difficult but not impossible.

Now we are even pushed back further.

How?

I dont like the idea of tossing picks for mercenaries when we arent that close.

He's not a mercenary, he's an elite talent who we could retain for many years.

Carter

Reaction score
Can we stop with the "He's hitting 30" BS.

HE TURNED 28 12 DAYS AGO

Saying "hes almost 30" is a ridiculous statement that should never be said again. Its completely fictitious.
He has two FULL years before hitting 30. And safeties last longer.

Also "hasnt been healthy last thrre years" another completely made up statement. Played all 18 games for Seattle in 2015.

2015 was 3 years ago. That was the last time he played all games.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I think the trade value has been set quite well this off season. It is not a 1-3 or a 2. Seattle would do well to get a 4 for him. Plus you have to sign the guy. Jerry would be foolish to overspend but Lord knows Jerry is foolish.

Carter

Reaction score
Lol nice cop out.

There hasnt been an NFL game played in 2018. He wasnt fully healthy for 2016 and 2017. Tell me again how Thats 3 years.

What let you suggest that he stays healthy when all Facts indicate that he cant anymore.

Also you got his Birthday wrong. He didnt turn 28 12 days ago. Dont know where u got that from.

He turns 29 at Mai 7th.

So he will be 29 in 3 weeks which basically means hes about to hit 30 rather sooner than later.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
You guys who are saying a 2nd is too much are ridiculous. ET is amazing and we have literally no veteran leadership in the secondary. Considering our new secondary coach was responsible for Seattle's LOB and want to take our secondary in the same direction, ET's value to us in particular is huge. Who cares if it's a second for 3 years of good play? The effect he will have on our other long term investments in the secondary will be worth it alone, let alone actually having elite safety play, which this team has not had since before I hit puberty (spoiler, I'm 30). ET being on the team could also be the difference in Woods developing to being average or elite.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
You guys who are saying a 2nd is too much are ridiculous. ET is amazing and we have literally no veteran leadership in the secondary. Considering our new secondary coach was responsible for Seattle's LOB and want to take our secondary in the same direction, ET's value to us in particular is huge. Who cares if it's a second for 3 years of good play? The effect he will have on our other long term investments in the secondary will be worth it alone, let alone actually having elite safety play, which this team has not had since before I hit puberty (spoiler, I'm 30). ET being on the team could also be the difference in Woods developing to being average or elite.

i clearly stated my point. its not popular, but it bares facts.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
i clearly stated my point. its not popular, but it bares facts.
Our D is slated to be better than it has in a long time this year. If we shore up LB, we finally have a deep DL and good pass rush, something we haven't had in forever. BUT, both of your best rushers are on 1 year deals in Lawrence and Irving. If Taco improves and Gregory potentially returns, plus Ealy, plus our revamped and improved corners and Woods, and an improved Jaylon and healthy Lee, there is no way in Hell you can argue that this defense wouldn't be borderline elite with ET shoring up our weakest position. I also don't see how you can argue this isn't the best defense we've had in almost a decade. ET would be a game changer, he would be the Charles Haley of 2018. That last missing piece.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Our D is slated to be better than it has in a long time this year. If we shore up LB, we finally have a deep DL and good pass rush, something we haven't had in forever. BUT, both of your best rushers are on 1 year deals in Lawrence and Irving. If Taco improves and Gregory potentially returns, plus Ealy, plus our revamped and improved corners and Woods, and an improved Jaylon and healthy Lee, there is no way in Hell you can argue that this defense wouldn't be borderline elite with ET shoring up our weakest position. I also don't see how you can argue this isn't the best defense we've had in almost a decade. ET would be a game changer, he would be the Charles Haley of 2018. That last missing piece.

im sure you mean well. and this is not against you. you are welcome to the opinion, but the fact remains, we cant say anything. We dont know. A lot of us, me included have a lot of faith in Kris Richards and want him to succeed. Which for the record, if he does get Dallas to make that trade, screw it im for it.

We can always say "well if we do this and if we do that" but that game doesnt play under garrett. we have done this and done that and it still cant get him to get this team to fire on all cylinders game in and game out. By that fact alone, bringing in another talent to waste is just stupid to that player. At some point, we as fans have to accept Dallas is not in it to win it and if you want to win in Dallas, you have to leave.

We are revamping the D, right as it was on the cusp of doing something. Ok fine im all for that and i was, but i am NOT in it to waste a guys talent on a team thats not trying to win it all. THe only thing we have to back that up is 20 plus years of this team wasting talent decade in and decade out. To put ET through that is just plain stupid.

I am all for going through the motions and hoping Garrett is fired and If Kris walks in and says to JJ "say hello to your next HC" im ok with that.

I am not ok with wasting another mans talent because people are under a mis impression.