NFL Rumors: Here’s What’s Stalling Potential Earl Thomas-Cowboys Trade

MrPhil

Reaction score
I have to imagine a potential compensatory pick for losing him via free agency next year would be the floor for trade discussions. What would that be, a 3rd or 4th at best?

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Dallas just has to wait it out and it seems they are. Seattle can try all they want, and you cant knock them for trying, but they're not going to get the bounty they're hoping for. I mean, the Rams got Marcus Peter's for a 4th and next years 2nd and he is young and one of the best corners in the league. Seattle has to understand Thomas's predicament related to health and age. He's just not going to warrant a 1st.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Good luck with that.

You say that but how do you think teams like the Patriots end up getting good players for low draft picks?

You make the offer and stand firm. Sure you run the risk of getting nothing but it will never pay out like that if you cannot stand firm.

The reasoning behind the 4th is good. Maybe they intend to force him to play out his contract but if they aren't going to pay him what he wants then he will leave next year and they end up with a 2020 compensatory pick. The best Seattle is going to get if he leaves is a 4th round compensatory pick.

A 2018 4th rounder is worth more. Absent another team upping the ante, they are going to get no better.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they'll give a second for him. I can't wait to see the fan reaction if/when that happens.

Id be upset.

And downright angry if they then turned around and paid Thomas more than the $10 million per year he's currently making.

Double whammy.

:banghead:

CowboyChris

Reaction score
total garbage article, quote "The Dallas Cowboys reportedly have had their eye on Thomas for some time." that's where I jumped off, does that mean we have wanted him before? if it weren't for Thomas himself running up to Garrett after a game and telling him to come get him, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

For the life of me, how can a safety in his 9th year be worth anything near a 1st and 3rd? is this FO that gullible to believe for a second he is remotely close to anything of that value? Ridiculous

A 2nd rounder for Thomas would seem like a good deal considering what they initially asked for, but that initial offer is bogus, at the end of the day Thomas maybe worth a 3rd at best, and even then why?

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
You don't give up anything higher than a 4th round pick for a soon to be 30 year old player SMH. I should hope the Dallas front office isn't that dumb.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think what's obviously stalling the trade is that the Cowboys don't want to be held up in the process. A first and a 3rd? Far too much and thank goodness that the Cowboys aren't falling for it. I'd much prefer to see them draft the best rookie they can find in the middle rounds or later for the job and simply hope for the best. One way, you're hoping not to get raped by Seattle and the other, you're playing it safe and hoping for the best. I can readily identify and see the benefits and drawbacks of the pros and cons for each.

EGTuna

Reaction score
I hope Stephen, Jason and Will give Jerry a pretend Fisher-Price phone on draft day so he can pretend to make all the trades his Johnnie Walker Blue soaked heart desires.

That being said, as other posters have mentioned, Seattle doesn't have much leverage, so their price will plummet on Day2 of the draft. I would be totally fine with parting with a 3rd for Thomas, but the extension has to be worked out BEFORE the trade. No one-year rentals.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He's going to net them a 3rd in compensatory picks so that's his value, we take his salary and they get that draft pick two years early.

No. He might get them a 3rd but he's also going to cost 9 million a year so you don't give them a 3rd plus take over the payments to their house.