NFL Rumors: Here’s What’s Stalling Potential Earl Thomas-Cowboys Trade

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This doesn't really tell us anything new other than providing a little confirmation the Cowboys were/are interested. I think it was always obvious that the asking price was the major impediment.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's going to net them a 3rd in compensatory picks so that's his value, we take his salary and they get that draft pick two years early.

I think they'd get that pick in 2020 (after he left in free agency in 2019), so based on that, I think it would be worth a 4th or even less this year.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Trading for a guy like Earl Thomas is usually a move made by a team that is “one key player away” from glory. Are the Cowboys that kind of team? No. Can we make some noise next year? Maybe. But this team needs a lot more than a 29 year old safety who hasn’t been injury free in 2 years. Caution flags!!!

There are no complete teams in the NFL anymore. So no, we’re not one player away from becoming a complete team, but we could be one player away (plus a good draft) from winning a championship. We’re not as far away as most people think.

I’m not in favor of giving up a 2nd for E.T. but it’s probably a safer bet than the pick.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
earl-thomas_opt.jpg
https://nesn.com/2018/04/nfl-rumors-heres-whats-stalling-potential-earl-thomas-cowboys-trade/

NFL Rumors: Here’s What’s Stalling Potential Earl Thomas-Cowboys Trade

Earl Thomas has stated his loyalty to the Seattle Seahawks, but the rumors of the star safety joining another NFC team refuse to die down.The Dallas Cowboys reportedly have had their eye on Thomas for some time. The feeling appears to be mutual, as the six-time Pro Bowl selection was spotted chatting with Jason Garrett after a Cowboys-Seahawks clash last season, advising Dallas’ coach to bring him to America’s Team. But if you’re wondering why there’s been no action despite the long-standing chatter, it might be due to Seattle’s expected high asking price for the defensive stalwart.

“The Cowboys have contacted the Seahawks about a potential draft trade,” the Star-Telegram’s Clarence E. Hill Jr. writes. “But the Seattle asking price of a first- and third-round draft pick was too high. The Cowboys are holding out hope that their asking price goes down to maybe a second-round pick.” While a player of Thomas’ caliber is worth a sizable haul, pressure could force the Seahawks to lower their demands. Thomas is set to enter the final year of his contract before becoming an unrestricted free agent at the conclusion of the 2018 campaign. Out of fear of losing him for nothing, Seattle might have to make a business decision. And if the Seahawks go that route, it sounds like the Cowboys will be chomping at the bit to make a deal.
I keep trying to tell y'all.... E.T. will be phoning home soon. Seattle has no choice. They're backed into a corner...

rkell87

Reaction score
No. He might get them a 3rd but he's also going to cost 9 million a year so you don't give them a 3rd plus take over the payments to their house.
That's exactly what you do if you want to live in that house before the owners want to move.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That's exactly what you do if you want to live in that house before the owners want to move.

LOL..... If the owners didn't want to move, they wouldn't be trying to get out of their lease. Try again.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are no complete teams in the NFL anymore. So no, we’re not one player away from becoming a complete team, but we could be one player away (plus a good draft) from winning a championship. We’re not as far away as most people think.

I’m not in favor of giving up a 2nd for E.T. but it’s probably a safer bet than the pick.
Good points. I agree, there are no classic “great teams” anymore in the NFL. Could the Cowboys rise up next year? Sure. I just don’t want to see us give up too much for a safety with 80% of his career in the rear view mirror.

rkell87

Reaction score
I think they'd get that pick in 2020 (after he left in free agency in 2019), so based on that, I think it would be worth a 4th or even less this year.
So someone who nets the highest compensation available is worth less now than in two years by your logic.

GoJacks

Reaction score
It always seems our guys every season (dez,scandrick) don’t have any trade value to other teams and we just release them. Yet players we are interested in, well teams want 1st or 2nd rounders, and most of the time we do it.
You would think this front office is run by amateurs
When was the last time the cowboys traded a 1st or second round pick for a player?

glimmerman

Reaction score
Good points. I agree, there are no classic “great teams” anymore in the NFL. Could the Cowboys rise up next year? Sure. I just don’t want to see us give up too much for a safety with 80% of his career in the rear view mirror.
If we get good LB and a DT a safety may not be as important.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So someone who nets the highest compensation available is worth less now than in two years by your logic.

Not "my logic", draft pick logic.

For instance, if you offer a team a first rounder next year, its only worth a second rounder this year. A one round depreciation to get a pick sooner.

It stands to reason that the same should hold true for any compensatory pick. Even more so, because those picks aren't even awarded until after all of the regular picks for that round are given.

Does it make sense now?

rkell87

Reaction score
LOL..... If the owners didn't want to move, they wouldn't be trying to get out of their lease. Try again.
The owners don't care if they move, they aren't trying to get out of their lease we are trying to get them out of their lease because their lease might be more valuable to us. Try again.

erod

Reaction score
I keep trying to tell y'all.... E.T. will be phoning home soon. Seattle has no choice. They're backed into a corner...

Sure seems that way, especially if he's telling other teams he won't sign an extension with them. He's unrestricted in a few months, and this would really be a PR nightmare during the upcoming season.

They either have to back up the money truck now, or trade him. After the draft, it's even worse for them.

This could literally happen when Dallas in on the clock for a pick.