News: NFL running backs seek to create separate union

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You think they knew 10 years ago that the NFL wouldn't value their position? As children they knew this?

You think that 10 years ago, they were locked into one position? Most of these guys were playing both ways 10 years ago.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
If you think the position is downgraded now just wait.

Last edited:

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You think they knew 10 years ago that the NFL wouldn't value their position? As children they knew this?

When Zeke was born (in 1995), Rickie Watters was the highest-paid RB at $3.6 million; also in 1995, Drew Bledsoe was the highest-paid QB at $12.9 million. Do the math.

QB/RB salary ratios have been severely skewed for a long time. So to answer your question - yes, they did know.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You think that 10 years ago, they were locked into one position? Most of these guys were playing both ways 10 years ago.
Once again.....you think 10 years ago thought running back would be less valued then playing corner or safety they were playing as children? You think they can just go on and play running back in college and get drafted 4th overall like Zeke and just change position? You guys aren't making any sense.

aikemirv

Reaction score
When Zeke was born (in 1995), Rickie Watters was the highest-paid RB at $3.6 million; also in 1995, Drew Bledsoe was the highest-paid QB at $12.9 million. Do the math.

QB/RB salary ratios have been severely skewed for a long time. So to answer your question - yes, they did know.
They are making up some ground!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

LOL....so Zeke as a 1 month old was suppose to know where the NFL market was going? Huh?

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
LOL....so Zeke as a 1 month old was suppose to know where the NFL market was going? Huh?
Would you like me to show you QB/RB salary comparisons on a year-to-year basis? This isn't rocket science and shouldn't need to be explained. The NFL market wasn't and isn't "going" anywhere. The NFL market, when it comes to % allocation by position, has been pretty steady for 2 decades.

Zeke didn't know as an infant, but the figures are there. Were his parents incapable of making that decision/observation?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Once again.....you think 10 years ago thought running back would be less valued then playing corner or safety they were playing as children? You think they can just go on and play running back in college and get drafted 4th overall like Zeke and just change position? You guys aren't making any sense.

Absolutely. This has been a passing league going on 20 years now. I mean, you would have to be out to lunch not to see it.

Besides, 10 years ago, Zeke was playing HS ball. If you can't understand that guys as good as Zeke are generally playing two positions in HS, then it is not us who are making no sense here. You need to start looking inward.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
or you could just change the pay scale so that players who play & produce get paid. Base contracts for each position & the remainder (or the bulk of the remainder) is determined by availability & production. Oh lookey there, it would work for all positions not just RB's.

There are tons of metrics for each position to measure performance. If you are hurt or don't produce, you don't earn the performance piece. Would also incentivize players much better than the current model. Overall it would all balance out.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That's easier said than done since they're already in one, but it's an interesting idea. I'm guessing Zeke signed it, or will when he gets back from Cabo.

A petition reportedly has been filed with the National Labor Relations Board seeking to create a separate union for NFL running backs.

According to the website Law360, the petition was filed Thursday by the International Brotherhood of Professional Running Backs and focuses on the shorter careers for players at the position.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/08/12/nfl-running-backs-union-petition/

Well..........Someone has a brain and we know its not Zeke. That is EXACTLY what they should be doing.

glimmerman

Reaction score
It’s a hard life work about 6 or 7 years and make 50-70 million as a RB. But the QB works maybe 10+ years and makes 100-120 million.

Yeah yeah I know if you ask me if I want 50 million or 100 then I would choose the 100. Either way they are a multimillionaire.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Zeke is the best player on the team. He is in line to be paid like he 5th best player. I understand his argument.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Absolutely. This has been a passing league going on 20 years now. I mean, you would have to be out to lunch not to see it.

Besides, 10 years ago, Zeke was playing HS ball. If you can't understand that guys as good as Zeke are generally playing two positions in HS, then it is not us who are making no sense here. You need to start looking inward.
You do not know what you re talking about. I was a two position athlete. I played running back and linebacker but by no means did I have any intent on playing linebacker in college. Just because you play two position doesn't mean its one or the other. Some guys go on to college and play a position they don't even want to play.

What do you mean its been a passing league for 20 years lol? What does that mean? Guys were still getting paid passing league or not. Cowboys paid Marion Barber in a PASSING LEAGUE. AP got PAID in a passing league. Ladanian Tomlinson got paid in a passing league. Chris Johnson got paid in a passing league. At this point you are just making excuses for why they shouldn't get paid even though running backs were getting paid in the 2000's.

I guess adult running backs are incapable of studying the history of their sport, so this take makes perfect sense. :thumbdown:
What?! What does the history of the sport have to do with a 1 year old Zeke? When Zeke was coming up guys were getting paid.There was absolutely no indication the league was going to a place where backs weren't valued. And make no mistake running backs are valued. They just don't want to pay them. Teams are still drafting running backs with top 10 picks. Teams are still giving running backs 20+ carries a game. They just don't want to pay them.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
this is a passing league just because the cowboys are trying to play offense like its 1990 don't mean the rest of the league is good luck with that the owners will put a stop to it

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Isnt that the point of a Union lol?
Very good point lol. A union is hard for some people to fathom though. People especially those in ownership roles believe employees should stay in their box and take it or leave it. They don't believe a employee should be treated.....like a human being. So I shouldn't be shocked that a fan of a league where a NFL owner referenced the players as "inmates" would actually side with players lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
this is a passing league just because the cowboys are trying to play offense like its 1990 don't mean the rest of the league is good luck with that the owners will put a stop to it
Its a passing league which explains why the Rams took a injured Gurley with a top pick or why the Chargers drafted Melvin Gordon with a 1st rounder or why the Cowboys drafted Zeke with the 4th overall pick or why Giants took Saquon Barkley with the 2nd pick in the draft or why the Jags took Leonard Fournette with the top pick in the draft. Guys are still running for over thousand yards a season. Its not a passing league. Its a move the sticks league. Whatever moves the sticks. Don't let these guys fool you. Running backs are still valued. But instead paying top money for them? Run them to the ground and get another one in the draft.

conner01

Reaction score
Give them shorter rookie contracts, that way if they are that good they will get there big contract earlier.
I think the position does have different issues than most others
I think the CBA is the place to address that issue
Shorter rookie deals is interesting but could backfire. If you only have say 3 yrs of a rookie deal do teams wait till after first end to pick one? It could devalue the position as a first end pick but they have a point with much shorter careers