News: NFL running backs seek to create separate union

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
But your retail "career" has lasted over 30 years.

These guys spend the majority of their useful career under the rookie pay scale.

It's a reality of the market though. Not saying it's fair, but still.

And thanks for making a broad assumption about my professional life :thumbup:

pacboyX

Reaction score
It's amazing they are able to feed their families the way they are paid now.

It’s more then feeding families. The owners can definitely feed their families with a fraction of what they make but hey let’s complain about the people taking repetitive trauma to their bodies.

It’s like boxing they should try everything they can to make as much as they can because they are literally damaging their bodies for fans enjoyment and owners pockets.

superonyx

Reaction score
I agree but I didn't introduce this topic, nor did I bring that up as a central issue. But to me, the bigger problem here is that any discussion related to Football like this one, should not revolve around position. I don't like it when we do it around QBs but it's done all the time. Interesting that this particular issue is not included and yet, it happens all the time. Players are gonna do what they are gonna do but don't cry about it after you are in the league and have made some big money. Don't cry about it when you are only using it as a negotiating tactic on a contract dispute that you are trying to get out of two years early. I don't want to hear it. If you really cared about this thing, then you would be actively involved with the players union and you would be all about trying to change things. Does any of that sound like Zeke to you?
Yes actually. Zeke isn’t crying as some put it in order to vilify him and his position.

I can’t help but think that even a Zeke hating fan can put themselves into both sides of this contract dispute and at least understand why Zeke feels it in his best interest to do this. Risk vs reward. He didn’t create this problem RBs have he is just trying to use leverage to protect his own financial interest.

You see framing his side as crying just comes across as hateful and biased. It pretends Zeke is just an entitled baby who has no real reason to be concerned for his best interest.

I believe there are more productive ways to frame the owners side of this issue without demeaning either side.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's amazing they are able to feed their families the way they are paid now.

We had a union negotiator bargaining vs. a company I used to work for, who claimed we were going hungry!

The company representatives quickly responded by laughing at him, seeing quite clearly how fat he was! :D

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You think they knew 10 years ago that the NFL wouldn't value their position? As children they knew this?
Did Gurley just not sign the biggest deal for a RB ever? Didn't Bell just sign one slightly less than Gurley at near $15 million a year???
This isn't like they are getting paid peanuts. It's just the value of their position has fallen thus not all teams are looking to spend a high percentage of the cap on a RB.

This is just getting plain silly now. These poor, poor, poor professional athletes. Their forced to this this job you know....forced I tell you....it's a travisty!!

Vanilla2

Reaction score
I didn't like my compensation when I worked in retail. By these guy's "logic", I guess I should have created a union and demanded better pay...

Then again, it is 2019... You never know what will happen

You had every right to start a union.

And actually it being 2019 means it’s less likely you’d start a union because of all the right to work stuff helping keep wages down

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yes actually. Zeke isn’t crying as some put it in order to vilify him and his position.

I can’t help but think that even a Zeke hating fan can put themselves into both sides of this contract dispute and at least understand why Zeke feels it in his best interest to do this. Risk vs reward. He didn’t create this problem RBs have he is just trying to use leverage to protect his own financial interest.

You see framing his side as crying just comes across as hateful and biased. It pretends Zeke is just an entitled baby who has no real reason to be concerned for his best interest.

I believe there are more productive ways to frame the owners side of this issue without demeaning either side.

He actually did create it IMO. If you recall, he held out in his initial Rookie Contract negotiation because he wanted his money up front. He is playing on his Rookie deal, of which, the value is set. There is a reason that he is only getting 3.8 in his 4th year, it's because he and his agent wanted it that way so to an extent, it is of his creation. I, for one, can not understand both sides. Zeke is breaking his contract and there is absolutely zero reason why the Cowboys are compelled to facilitate his contract wishes. He could be patient and wait his turn but he doesn't want to do that. To me, this is 100% on Zeke. He's been offered a very fair contract, according to reports, that the team did not have to offer him, and he isn't interested.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The number of emotional responses to this topic is fascinating to me. Few care that owners rake in billions for decades but the idea of players - the reason people buy tickets - making millions for a few years appalls some. The only reasons I can see for it are:

1. jealous of the money pro athletes make,
2. want your favorite uniforms to win and don't give a hoot about the players,
3. both.

The people who should reasonably have emotions in these disputes are the people who are actually a party to them. We're just watching the news.

Asklesko

Reaction score
It's about time. Teams have abused and destroyed the health of running backs in the most shameful ways, with no compensation at all.

superonyx

Reaction score
He actually did create it IMO. If you recall, he held out in his initial Rookie Contract negotiation because he wanted his money up front. He is playing on his Rookie deal, of which, the value is set. There is a reason that he is only getting 3.8 in his 4th year, it's because he and his agent wanted it that way so to an extent, it is of his creation. I, for one, can not understand both sides. Zeke is breaking his contract and there is absolutely zero reason why the Cowboys are compelled to facilitate his contract wishes. He could be patient and wait his turn but he doesn't want to do that. To me, this is 100% on Zeke. He's been offered a very fair contract, according to reports, that the team did not have to offer him, and he isn't interested.
The only part that is correct in your response is that you can’t understand both sides. Heck you can’t understand either side. You can’t even understand why the cowboys offered him another contract.

way too much for me to unwrap here. Or at least way more than I care to unwrap.

This is fairly uncomplicated actually. If you can’t even understand why a RB would hold out or why a team would offer him a new contract than the time investment for me is just not worth it.

Nice chat though while it lasted.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The only part that is correct in your response is that you can’t understand both sides. Heck you can’t understand either side. You can’t even understand why the cowboys offered him another contract.

way too much for me to unwrap here. Or at least way more than I care to unwrap.

This is fairly uncomplicated actually. If you can’t even understand why a RB would hold out or why a team would offer him a new contract than the time investment for me is just not worth it.

Nice chat though while it lasted.

In your opinion. There is no part of this I don't understand. If it makes you feel better to believe that this is not the case, thats fine, but that's not the case. I don't require "unwrapping" from you. I doubt you are capable of it to begin with so I agree, lets just say don't agree and go our own way.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The number of emotional responses to this topic is fascinating to me. Few care that owners rake in billions for decades but the idea of players - the reason people buy tickets - making millions for a few years appalls some. The only reasons I can see for it are:

1. jealous of the money pro athletes make,
2. want your favorite uniforms to win and don't give a hoot about the players,
3. both.

The people who should reasonably have emotions in these disputes are the people who are actually a party to them. We're just watching the news.

Let me ask you, what difference does it make, what the owners "rake" in? How does that have any bearing on anything?

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's easier said than done since they're already in one, but it's an interesting idea. I'm guessing Zeke signed it, or will when he gets back from Cabo.

A petition reportedly has been filed with the National Labor Relations Board seeking to create a separate union for NFL running backs.

According to the website Law360, the petition was filed Thursday by the International Brotherhood of Professional Running Backs and focuses on the shorter careers for players at the position.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/08/12/nfl-running-backs-union-petition/
Jake-- i agree with them..CBA screws running backs

aria

Reaction score
Unbelievable. These cry babies are getting paid MILLIONS of dollars to play a GAME and they whine about the difference in couple mil a year or because a certain position gets paid more than they do. I would love to see O linemen hold out and then Zeke, the WR’s and Dak wouldn’t be able to demand jack because their stats would suck.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
We had a union negotiator bargaining vs. a company I used to work for, who claimed we were going hungry!

The company representatives quickly responded by laughing at him, seeing quite clearly how fat he was! :D

*the back& forth conversations in this thread reminds me of the time when I walked into a fortune 100 company office & after the stunningly gorgeous centerfold quality receptionist asked me "How can I help you?" ,,,and, I said " would you **** my **** for a million dollars?" Well, her professional demeanor softened ,transforming into a sly ,come hither temptress look, as she simply stated: " why, yes,,, yes I would **** your **** for a million dollars",,,so,I asked " How about you do it for $20?",,, well, lemme' tell you, she was aghast & recoiled back in her swivel high backed office chair and stated:
" Heavens no, I wouldn't do that for $20 ,WHAT DO YOU THINK I AM,ANYWAY? ",,, I simply said " We both know what you are, we're just negotiating terms now",,,

o_O

Tussinman

Reaction score
The problem with this is the reason why Runningbacks feel undervalued (short careers, high injury rate, easily replaceable) is the EXACT reason why there not valued highly........

There basically just complaining about reality. They aren't gonna be a Tyron Smith, Zack Martin, Dak Prescott type player where you can be a high level starter for a decade +

It sucks for them but you can't get rid of the rookie deals since there basically a "prove it" point of the career but very few RB's can get past the "prove it" point physically.

rdskn4eva

Reaction score
the bottom line is that zeke and other running backs have let greed get to them they see how backs are treated its about the money as it always is with the players and the owners now many running backs are going to hold out to make this go there is two now and it don't look like the others are going to join them if zeke holds out in to the season he will find his self on another team next year via trade jones will move on and get what he can for him if he holds out jones perceives that he is the reason the wont compete for a championship jones will move on

Sorry but I had to clean this up:

"The bottom line is that Zeke and other running backs have let greed get to them. They see how backs are treated. It's about the money as it always is with the players and the owners. Now many running backs are going to hold out to make this go. There are two now and it doesn't look like the others are going to join them.

If Zeke holds out in to the season, he will find himself on another team next year via trade. Jones will move on and get what he can for him. If he holds out, and Jones perceives that he is the reason the Cowboys wont compete for a championship, Jones will move on."

links18

Reaction score
The RB position is in serious jeopardy of devolving to a situation where nobody wants to pay for a second contract. One rookie contract, maybe a franchise tag or two and then maybe some one season deals.