News: NFL running backs seek to create separate union

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
this is a passing league just because the cowboys are trying to play offense like its 1990 don't mean the rest of the league is good luck with that the owners will put a stop to it

This isn't just Zeke. You can't form a union of one.

The biggest stumbling block isn't the owners, it's the current union. You can't just split off because you want to and it's not in the current union's interest to allow it. They have more leverage as a whole.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I didn't like my compensation when I worked in retail. By these guy's "logic", I guess I should have created a union and demanded better pay...

If you had the bargaining power of NFL RBs, it would have worked.

Given their short careers, the NFL needs to do something, because holding out the majority of a season currently looks like the *right* thing for a bell cow back to do. That's not good for anybody.

conner01

Reaction score
or you could just change the pay scale so that players who play & produce get paid. Base contracts for each position & the remainder (or the bulk of the remainder) is determined by availability & production. Oh lookey there, it would work for all positions not just RB's.

There are tons of metrics for each position to measure performance. If you are hurt or don't produce, you don't earn the performance piece. Would also incentivize players much better than the current model. Overall it would all balance out.
Interesting idea

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You do not know what you re talking about. I was a two position athlete. I played running back and linebacker but by no means did I have any intent on playing linebacker in college. Just because you play two position doesn't mean its one or the other. Some guys go on to college and play a position they don't even want to play.

What do you mean its been a passing league for 20 years lol? What does that mean? Guys were still getting paid passing league or not. Cowboys paid Marion Barber in a PASSING LEAGUE. AP got PAID in a passing league. Ladanian Tomlinson got paid in a passing league. Chris Johnson got paid in a passing league. At this point you are just making excuses for why they shouldn't get paid even though running backs were getting paid in the 2000's.

What?! What does the history of the sport have to do with a 1 year old Zeke? When Zeke was coming up guys were getting paid.There was absolutely no indication the league was going to a place where backs weren't valued. And make no mistake running backs are valued. They just don't want to pay them. Teams are still drafting running backs with top 10 picks. Teams are still giving running backs 20+ carries a game. They just don't want to pay them.

LOL.... I don't know what I'm talking about huh. It's interesting, I played TB and I was a CB and a FS. I could see the game changing just after I got out of school. Probably 5 years later, the run and shoot Mouse Davis Offenses started taking over HS ball. It was pretty easy to see. You yourself said you played both ways and you weren't interested in playing D. That's a choice and you made it. All of these players do and you know damn well they have a choice. Yeah, you might have to play a position that maybe you don't want to but you know, as well as I do that if you are as good as Zeke, nobody is moving you unless you want to play another position. Don't come in here and try to act like you know what's up and we just feel off the turnip truck. You got no game here man. Zeke didn't even have to play football, to be honest. Zeke could have ran track and made a lot of money doing that. But Zeke chose to do what he did. That's fine, it's his choice but don't come over here crying about it later. Zeke has the very least to cry about. Zeke was slotted as the 4th round pick so it didn't matter what position he played. He got paid well because it's not position reliant when you are taken that high. Bottom line, if you couldn't see the way the wind was blowing in 2014/2015, then it's because you are too stupid to see it. It's not because it wasn't easy to see.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
the bottom line is that zeke and other running backs have let greed get to them they see how backs are treated its about the money as it always is with the players and the owners now many running backs are going to hold out to make this go there is two now and it don't look like the others are going to join them if zeke holds out in to the season he will find his self on another team next year via trade jones will move on and get what he can for him if he holds out jones perceives that he is the reason the wont compete for a championship jones will move on

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
LOL.... I don't know what I'm talking about huh. It's interesting, I played TB and I was a CB and a FS. I could see the game changing just after I got out of school. Probably 5 years later, the run and shoot Mouse Davis Offenses started taking over HS ball. It was pretty easy to see. You yourself said you played both ways and you weren't interested in playing D. That's a choice and you made it. All of these players do and you know damn well they have a choice. Yeah, you might have to play a position that maybe you don't want to but you know, as well as I do that if you are as good as Zeke, nobody is moving you unless you want to play another position. Don't come in here and try to act like you know what's up and we just feel off the turnip truck. You got no game here man. Zeke didn't even have to play football, to be honest. Zeke could have ran track and made a lot of money doing that. But Zeke chose to do what he did. That's fine, it's his choice but don't come over here crying about it later. Zeke has the very least to cry about. Zeke was slotted as the 4th round pick so it didn't matter what position he played. He got paid well because it's not position reliant when you are taken that high. Bottom line, if you couldn't see the way the wind was blowing in 2014/2015, then it's because you are too stupid to see it. It's not because it wasn't easy to see.

You played CB and FS? Yeah that's a lot like playing offense and defense. That's such a huge jump for a player decide to play free safety after playing corner lol.

And you saw it coming. Good for you. Zeke or none of these running backs didn't. You should've warned them I guess lol.

Zeke decided to play running back and he's about to get paid. He made the right decision.

superonyx

Reaction score
I didn't like my compensation when I worked in retail. By these guy's "logic", I guess I should have created a union and demanded better pay...

Then again, it is 2019... You never know what will happen
But your retail "career" has lasted over 30 years.

These guys spend the majority of their useful career under the rookie pay scale.

superonyx

Reaction score
All that would do is insure that none of them ever got taken in the 1st round. Teams aren't going to invest 1st round money in a player that they don't have a 5th year option on. I mean, why would they?
They always have before this rookie pay scale with 5 year contracts was a thing.

Does anyone know what the players got for giving this gift to the owners?
Sounds like a bunch of veteran players threw the upcoming rookies under the bus just to grab a bigger slice of cheese for themselves.

Btw. I get what you are saying. But I can also see how the union could not represent the RB's interest the same way they represent other players interest.

superonyx

Reaction score
You think that 10 years ago, they were locked into one position? Most of these guys were playing both ways 10 years ago.
Are we pretending the NFL isnt specialized to the point where any 1 man is luckily if he can contribute at 1 position much less 2 or 3.

This argument that a RB shouldnt have been a RB if he didnt want to get crapped on is moronic. I guess that place kicker should have been an OL if he didnt enjoy the pressure of a game deciding kick.

This isnt a bunch of neighborhood kids playing pickup football in the local park.

Why do we always have to go down to stupidville on the cowboyszone these days?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Zeke is the best player on the team. He is in line to be paid like he 5th best player. I understand his argument.

His the biggest idiot on the team, worst teammate, and is the worst off the field teammate. He is a suspension waiting to happen. Not a team leader.

Dak, Cooper, Lawrence, LVE, Jaylon Smith, Martin, T Smith, Frederick are ALL players I take over Zeke all day and every day. So your notion that he is the best on the team is not accurate.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Holding out in your 3rd year is unheard of and our FO is in a bad spot. If they pay him then other players will do this or try it. If we don’t pay him and he does hold out then the season just got twice as hard.
If our season gets TWICE as hard...then his value to our team must be more than we are scheduled to pay him

Tussinman

Reaction score
The position has insane injury rate, short careers, and you can get 80-85% of the production from later round picks/free agents.

I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be the least valued position. It's the highest injury rate, shortest career, and easiest to replace. Seems pretty cut and dry

Having 2 or 3 solid seasons like a Demarco Murray, Chris Johnson, Arian Foster and then vanishing off the face of the Earth will never command the salaries of even an offensive guard like Zack Martin who can play all-pro level for a decade

Last edited:

superonyx

Reaction score
This message board debate tactic of "Zeke didn't have to play football" is elementary. It brings the entire conversation so far back down to a level where a healthy exchange of ideas isnt even possible.

This is like telling Prince William to stop crying over his mom dying because she didn't have to marry Charles and then she wouldnt be famous and the paparazzi wouldnt have chased her and ended in her death. I know huge reach but this is how goofy this is. Zeke should have chosen to play in the NBA if he wanted NBA contracts.

I'm not criticizing you personally just this type of debate tactic. Surely you can do better with a point that doesnt sound so 2nd grade.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
These guys are earning $ millions and they want to form a union for better pay? What they really need is a little perspective. Maybe a few days with wounded veterans at Walter Reed.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Are we pretending the NFL isnt specialized to the point where any 1 man is luckily if he can contribute at 1 position much less 2 or 3.

This argument that a RB shouldnt have been a RB if he didnt want to get crapped on is moronic. I guess that place kicker should have been an OL if he didnt enjoy the pressure of a game deciding kick.

This isnt a bunch of neighborhood kids playing pickup football in the local park.

Why do we always have to go down to stupidville on the cowboyszone these days?

No, the post you are referring to here is specific to the RBs of today playing 10 years ago. The idea that they had no choice but to play RB. I object to that point of view, I don't believe it for a second. When you are playing Youth Ball or HS ball or even College ball, you have the opportunity to change positions. If you decide to play RB for 10 years, then it's a conscious decision and not something you are pigeon holed into IMO.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Running backs are still valued. But instead paying top money for them? Run them to the ground and get another one in the draft.
Agreed but at the same time if they can play you 2 or 3 solid years fresh out of college and then dump you with literally no hesitation then you'll always be the least valued position

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You played CB and FS? Yeah that's a lot like playing offense and defense. That's such a huge jump for a player decide to play free safety after playing corner lol.

And you saw it coming. Good for you. Zeke or none of these running backs didn't. You should've warned them I guess lol.

Zeke decided to play running back and he's about to get paid. He made the right decision.

I think I see the problem here. It's your ability to understand what you are reading. I played TB, you know, like Tailback? I also played CB and FS. I went both ways and I've played a lot of positions between that. I've played both ways pretty much the entire time I played Football, I played everything from DE to QB, at one time or another, which is why I think you are full of crap when you say you don't have a choice. You do have a choice.

Lastly, I would simply ask you how you know I didn't warn them? I mean, it's not like you were here in the discussion so how do you know, maybe I did. Or maybe, I just advocated not taking a RB with the 4th overall pick. Maybe I thought it would be smarter to go another way there and avoid all of this because I clearly saw it coming. Maybe you have no idea what it is you are talking about.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
This message board debate tactic of "Zeke didn't have to play football" is elementary. It brings the entire conversation so far back down to a level where a healthy exchange of ideas isnt even possible.

This is like telling Prince William to stop crying over his mom dying because she didn't have to marry Charles and then she wouldnt be famous and the paparazzi wouldnt have chased her and ended in her death. I know huge reach but this is how goofy this is. Zeke should have chosen to play in the NBA if he wanted NBA contracts.

I'm not criticizing you personally just this type of debate tactic. Surely you can do better with a point that doesnt sound so 2nd grade.

I agree but I didn't introduce this topic, nor did I bring that up as a central issue. But to me, the bigger problem here is that any discussion related to Football like this one, should not revolve around position. I don't like it when we do it around QBs but it's done all the time. Interesting that this particular issue is not included and yet, it happens all the time. Players are gonna do what they are gonna do but don't cry about it after you are in the league and have made some big money. Don't cry about it when you are only using it as a negotiating tactic on a contract dispute that you are trying to get out of two years early. I don't want to hear it. If you really cared about this thing, then you would be actively involved with the players union and you would be all about trying to change things. Does any of that sound like Zeke to you?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If you had the bargaining power of NFL RBs, it would have worked.

Given their short careers, the NFL needs to do something, because holding out the majority of a season currently looks like the *right* thing for a bell cow back to do. That's not good for anybody.

The game is going away from the Bell Cow back. That's just the truth. Things happen in cycles and what comes around goes around. The RBs were not complaining when they were getting paid more then everybody else, now they are at a stage where they are not valued as much and to be honest, if you believe in paying QBs based on what the last QBs contract was, then this is something that we are all gonna have to get used to because you simply can't pay QBs WRs and RBs all top dollar. It just doesn't work that way.

People like to point to the fact that Zeke is one of the top WRs in the NFL and that Dak and Coop are not at that same level and I get that but the other side of that story is that as a RB, you can come in to this league and be successful almost immediately if you go to a team who gives you carries and who has a good Run Blocking Scheme. Almost day one, you can be successful. Now, that's rare at QB and at WR. It's because it takes longer to develop your game if you are a WR or QB. That's why they get paid more. They are harder to develop and find. I mean, you can try and change it but I don't see how you can, to be honest.