News: NFL running backs seek to create separate union

superonyx

Reaction score
In your opinion. There is no part of this I don't understand. If it makes you feel better to believe that this is not the case, thats fine, but that's not the case. I don't require "unwrapping" from you. I doubt you are capable of it to begin with so I agree, lets just say don't agree and go our own way.
Wait what? So you were just lying before to try to make an argument or just trying to be disagreeable? You said you can’t understand either side, Zeke or the Cowboys.

So now you are saying you do understand both sides perspective?

stilltheguru

Reaction score
It's amazing they are able to feed their families the way they are paid now.
Smh at this bs being posted. In the land of the free y’all love so much. Imagine your job underpaying you and you not asking for a raise :lmao2:Idgaf if you were making 5 mil a year. If others doing worse than you are making 10 will you be content? Go ahead and lie like an internet troll or be a man and tell the truth.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Holding out in your 3rd year is unheard of and our FO is in a bad spot. If they pay him then other players will do this or try it. If we don’t pay him and he does hold out then the season just got twice as hard.
My question is this current if he holds out the season do we really want his *** back I'm in the locker room I'm kicking his

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The game is going away from the Bell Cow back. That's just the truth. Things happen in cycles and what comes around goes around. The RBs were not complaining when they were getting paid more then everybody else, now they are at a stage where they are not valued as much and to be honest, if you believe in paying QBs based on what the last QBs contract was, then this is something that we are all gonna have to get used to because you simply can't pay QBs WRs and RBs all top dollar. It just doesn't work that way.

People like to point to the fact that Zeke is one of the top WRs in the NFL and that Dak and Coop are not at that same level and I get that but the other side of that story is that as a RB, you can come in to this league and be successful almost immediately if you go to a team who gives you carries and who has a good Run Blocking Scheme. Almost day one, you can be successful. Now, that's rare at QB and at WR. It's because it takes longer to develop your game if you are a WR or QB. That's why they get paid more. They are harder to develop and find. I mean, you can try and change it but I don't see how you can, to be honest.

That Day One success is half the point. RBs can hit their elite status on their rookie contracts from Day One, but if they just let themselves be ridden into the ground on their rookie contracts under the current CBA, they won't be elite by the time they hit free agency.

As it is, under the current CBA, it probably makes sense for RBs to hold out to reduce the wear and tear on them, so that they have more left for free agency where they can get paid more for it. Zeke maybe less than some, as he's being paid like the 4th pick, but it's true top RBs on less pricey rookie contracts.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yes. Business is business. It's not Zeke's job to sacrifice his career for Jerry or the team.
I get that also. I'm just personally giving one scenario. I know it's a two-way street I'm talkin if I'm a teammate. You don't show up I'm pissed especially if it's my playoff season on the line . I guess that's why they don't discuss it in the locker room truth LOL the situation sucks my cowboy brother

glimmerman

Reaction score
What does he have two years left on his contract. He sits out I'll take the beating I'll leave them out of the league for 2 years. Yeah I know that's spiteful but
Cost us 9 million next year. JJ needs to start fining him.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I get that also. I'm just personally giving one scenario. I know it's a two-way street I'm talkin if I'm a teammate. You don't show up I'm pissed especially if it's my playoff season on the line . I guess that's why they don't discuss it in the locker room truth LOL the situation sucks my cowboy brother
Yeah there has to be a few players but happy. Witten likely came back because he felt they had a good chance. Wonder how he feels about it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The number of emotional responses to this topic is fascinating to me. Few care that owners rake in billions for decades but the idea of players - the reason people buy tickets - making millions for a few years appalls some. The only reasons I can see for it are:

1. jealous of the money pro athletes make,
2. want your favorite uniforms to win and don't give a hoot about the players,
3. both.

The people who should reasonably have emotions in these disputes are the people who are actually a party to them. We're just watching the news.

Why would any fan care about the players? Do you root for the fans or the players?

Are you jealous of the money the owners make? "Owner". Does that word have meaning to you? Ever been a business owner? Obviously not.

In reality, its about "the salary cap". You do understand that if we keep paying these babies over bloated salaries, it makes it harder to field a great team right?

And yes, why wouldnt anyone be jealous of the money players make?

Who wouldnt be jealous of a part time job where you run around a field, catch balls, become famous and make millions for a job that does nothing but entertain.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Did Gurley just not sign the biggest deal for a RB ever? Didn't Bell just sign one slightly less than Gurley at near $15 million a year???
This isn't like they are getting paid peanuts. It's just the value of their position has fallen thus not all teams are looking to spend a high percentage of the cap on a RB.

This is just getting plain silly now. These poor, poor, poor professional athletes. Their forced to this this job you know....forced I tell you....it's a travisty!!
LEveon Bell had to sit out a whole year and miss out on 21 million in order to get his deal lol. Yeah deals are still being thrown out there but these guys won't see the end of these deals. Most of these guys career will be finished by 28.

glimmerman

Reaction score
LEveon Bell had to sit out a whole year and miss out on 21 million in order to get his deal lol. Yeah deals are still being thrown out there but these guys won't see the end of these deals. Most of these guys career will be finished by 28.
If I am Elliot it’s all about guaranteed money and signing bonus. I don’t care how much you make it look like per year.

JustChip

Reaction score
Give them shorter rookie contracts, that way if they are that good they will get there big contract earlier.
Do that & teams won’t draft RBs high. Why burn a high draft pick? Just wait & sign one in FA after they prove themselves.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Do that & teams won’t draft RBs high. Why burn a high draft pick? Just wait & sign one in FA after they prove themselves.
Yep and they can start collecting there big money contracts earlier. We can’t do anything about how much teams pay them. The rams drove the price up with a good RB with knee issues.

Swanny

Reaction score
I think the position does have different issues than most others
I think the CBA is the place to address that issue
Shorter rookie deals is interesting but could backfire. If you only have say 3 yrs of a rookie deal do teams wait till after first end to pick one? It could devalue the position as a first end pick but they have a point with much shorter careers
I would let guys negotiate the length of a contract. But they can only make a structured amount each season when on Rookie deals.

conner01

Reaction score
I would let guys negotiate the length of a contract. But they can only make a structured amount each season when on Rookie deals.
Then every first or second rnd player would hold out for one or two year contracts
I don’t know the answer but finding something that both sides can agree to that stops these holdouts should be a big part of new cba

Swanny

Reaction score
Then every first or second rnd player would hold out for one or two year contracts
I don’t know the answer but finding something that both sides can agree to that stops these holdouts should be a big part of new cba
That is true. It would diminish the value of draft picks. I do know I would prefer the security of a 4 year contract over a 1 or 2 year contract though. But obviously many would want a 1 or 2 year. The easiest answer is eliminate the salary cap. But that's never going to happen

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
The first thing the players union should do is get rid of Smith and go get the head of the NBA union to lead them.