Twitter: NFL season expected to be expanded to 17 games this week

J12B

Reaction score
I think both are great.
An extra week of real football, and he extra playoff teams adds excitement for the fans, as that one game can get you in, or knock you out.

It's just I felt like the 16 week season was the perfect amount of games. And these players really are hurting by that time. Another weeks just hurts player safety.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did the NFL add another bye week? They need to give players another week off if they are serious about safety. Greed is what led to 17 games. The owners talk safety for players but only after they have added more cash in their registers along with the likelihood of more injuries. Greed rules.

Injuries will happen, in TC, in PS games, and what are the odds players will suffer injuries in an extra game. I bet much lower than fans realize.

As for the greed...it is not, it is called capitalism....it is a way of life. If EVERYONE in here could find a way to make more $$$, they would.
I do not understand why so many get upset about it.

J12B

Reaction score
Did the NFL add another bye week? They need to give players another week off if they are serious about safety. Greed is what led to 17 games. The owners talk safety for players but only after they have added more cash in their registers along with the likelihood of more injuries. Greed rules.

*This

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's just I felt like the 16 week season was the perfect amount of games. And these players really are hurting by that time. Another weeks just hurts player safety.

Disagree it hurts player safety, not as much as many think.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

The common thread is the 17th game is all inter-conference.

What’s not clear is if there’s going to be any rotation from division each year. It appears the record does matter as far as 1st place schedules, etc.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The common thread is the 17th game is all inter-conference.

What’s not clear is if there’s going to be any rotation from division each year. It appears the record does matter as far as 1st place schedules, etc.

The Eagles get the cupcake Jets matchup while the rest of the division has to deal with actual teams.

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
Having all interconference games is an interesting strategy. As teams fight for division titles and wild cards inside of the conference, this eliminates the possibility of last week, high-ratings, head-to-head matchups to determine playoff seedings.

Last edited:

MiddleStar

Reaction score
Of course. Based on how they finished in division.

Has anyone heard if the rotation will follow our current rotational order in AFC divisions ?

And how the home and away will be determined each year?

This is how it works. Say our rotation is as follows for the AFC:

East
North
South
West

This year we are playing the South (hypothetically). The extra game will come from the East. It is set up so that the extra game doesn't come from the division you played last year (North) or next year (West).

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Injuries will happen, in TC, in PS games, and what are the odds players will suffer injuries in an extra game. I bet much lower than fans realize.

As for the greed...it is not, it is called capitalism....it is a way of life. If EVERYONE in here could find a way to make more $$$, they would.
I do not understand why so many get upset about it.
The most recent research about head injuries shows that repeated collisions, even those that don’t cause an immediate concussion, have a cumulative effect on brain trauma. Adding a 17th game will have consequences for players safety.

I love football as much as anyone, but I was against adding any extra games for safety reasons. I believe this additional game will eventually cut some players careers shorter by a year or two over time.

Techsass

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Curious as to how the fine print will now decide tie breakers.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here are some interesting free articles on the subject of how players and even some owners feel about an extra game- of course the NFLPA did eventually vote to accept the game, but it was not wildly popular among players or a few owners. Many said, “It’s not good for the game overall.”

This article contains some interesting comments from Richard Sherman about what many players thought about the 17th game:
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...ule-richard-sherman/zx9f0zsmpqav1eow8kun3krz6

This article talks about how some owners didn’t even think it was a good idea. The greatest problem pro football has faced this century is what to do about the physical trauma that the game exerts on players.
https://sports.nbcsports.com/2020/06/15/why-the-nfl-will-regret-having-a-17-game-regular-season/