NFL talks "Dead as a doornail" per ESPN TV...Talks to resume Sun.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan said:
It is a conspiracy to destroy the Commanders!

No need for a conspiracy of destruction when your owner is Dan Snyder.

He's doing a good enough job on his own.

:sshhh: :shades:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sides agree to meet again Sunday after talks yield no progress
March 4, 2006
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
NEW YORK -- Talks between the NFL and its union broke off Saturday with no progress, although the sides agreed to meet again Sunday.

The stalemate increased the possibility that many high-priced free agents would come on the market as teams struggled to get under the salary cap by 6 p.m. ET Sunday, the extended deadline for the start of free agency.

"No progress has been made, but we expect more discussions to take place before Sunday night," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said.

Union officials did not immediately return phone calls from the Associated Press.
Earlier in the week, negotiations broke off and the league set the salary cap for free agency at $94.5 million. Teams with a salary load far higher than that had anticipated an agreement that could have given them extra room to keep veterans, perhaps $10 million more with a new deal.

If not, it's likely a number of teams would have to make wholesale cuts, some involving big-name veterans such as Kansas City's Will Shields, Tampa Bay's Derrick Brooks and the New York Jets' Kevin Mawae and Chad Pennington.

Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFL Players Association, said after the earlier talks broke off that the NFL was offering $56.2 million of its total revenues to the players. Upshaw has said he will not go under 60 percent.

But the problem involves more than that, notably a dispute among owners over revenue sharing. Low-revenue teams complain that they would have to contribute a higher percentage of the money they get from advertising, naming rights and other nontelevision and ticket revenue than big-market teams.

Upshaw has always wanted that issue decided first among the owners, but that isn't likely happen in these last-minute talks, which began Friday after the deadline for free agency was extended three days from Friday at 12:01 a.m. ET until Monday at the same time.

The labor agreement, extended several times since it was agreed to in 1992, has another two years to run. But 2006 would be the last year with a salary cap.

There would be no cap next year, but also many changes in the rules, including some the players find unappealing -- six years for a player to get to free agency instead of four and no minimum amount that teams have to spend.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2005-2006, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
[/FONT]
Link

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
I wouldn't be shocked if they push back the deadline 1 more time.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Just watched ESPN news- they had Mort on there saying that the owners he has talked to still are not in agreement over the whole revenue sharing part- and untill that is done there will be no new CBA. SO realistically there will be no new CBA now- probably not untill after the next SB. Or whenever the owners finally reach an agreement with themselves.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
cowboyfan4life_mark said:
How do you figure?

Because we have more pressing needs than center a this point, and we'd probably be better off spending our $$ on 3-4 FAs.

If we sign LeBentley, that pretty much blows most of our space in one shot.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Wheat said:
I think if there are smaller market teams who are complaining about cash coming in. Then the NFL needs to send experts into help them max out their markets. That way, nobody can complain about what they are sharing with the rest of the league!.

That is so friggin true. Give a man a fish/Teach a man to fish

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Wheat said:
I think if there are smaller market teams who are complaining about cash coming in. Then the NFL needs to send experts into help them max out their markets. That way, nobody can complain about what they are sharing with the rest of the league!.

What do they want. Small market teams are still compettive. Look at Indy. Seattle.

This is America, you don't need everything handed to you on a plate, do you? And who are football owners to complain about anything, they've got the money to buy a team, they are all extremely rich, now they cry...

burmafrd

Reaction score
As long as you have low rent types like BIdwell and Benson, there are going to be have nots. There really only about 4-5 teams that have trouble- and that is because of their owners. Jacksonville is a problem in that they have not been able to get a loyal fan base going there- despite having a winning team. Not so sure that that team might not move some time. Their owner seems to have some fire and willingness to work hard, but just cannot get it going well there. But mostly its because of the owners. JJ and some others work their tales off-= Bidwell, Benson and some others just sit on theirs.

burmafrd

Reaction score
There is nothing going to happen untill the owners get their act together regarding revenue sharing. Mort - live - just now saying the same thing. League offered 56.5% of total revenue. They want 2% over cap limit.
Mort has flip flopped back and forth over the last hour- I ahve been listening and they have had him on 3 times- twice on screen and once on phone- and he is back and forth about whether anything will happen before midnight tomorrow. He keeps saying one phone call will bring Upshaw back- BUT I get from him is that nothing right now will change. He is saying that the agents are right now panicking because most of THEM thought a deal was coming.
THIS could get interesting in the next 48 hrs going into the beginning of FA.
I am thinking that some guys are going to try and get a quick one year deal and grab as much cash RIGHT now as they can.

DaBoyz73

Reaction score
Wheat said:

As much as it kills me to agree with you, you're right.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
I bet they have something done by the deadline. I sure hope so, this is just stupid. Both sides are a bunch of hypocrites.

How many times are they going to get to the deadline and have no deal, just to set another deadline?

Stop the drama and grow a pair Upshaw! Stand up for what your players want or give in.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
Murph80 said:
You can only hope. Cowboys and their fans are ready to go.

Oh, I don't care either way.

The Skins were ready to be under the cap without cutting big names on Friday.

Not to mention, why would a big FA pick Dallas over say...Philly who has a ton of Cap room, and an injured team who is probably already the favorite to win the Division again?

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan said:
I guess the parasite owners of the small markets are digging in their heels this time.

Of course it is.

Why would guys like Bidwell and Brown WANT to spend money on their teams when they know other owners like Jones and Snyder are going to actually work at marketing their team and will also share that extra loot.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I really doubt that Philthy is all that attractive a place for most good players.
Besides they have pretty much gotten the title of kings of choke over the last 5 years- players looking at getting a ring will pass on them.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I wonder if it is any coincidence that most of the dud owners last names begin with B?

Bizwah

Reaction score
Wheat said:
Oh, I don't care either way.

The Skins were ready to be under the cap without cutting big names on Friday.

Not to mention, why would a big FA pick Dallas over say...Philly who has a ton of Cap room, and an injured team who is probably already the favorite to win the Division again?

We're the Cowboys, that's why.

There's still something special about playing for "America's Team".