NFLPA looking into Cowboys' direct dealing with players

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That kind of seems like a dumb rule doesn’t it?

Not where there is such huge money involved, no. From an agent's perspective, they would be looking at the potential loss of millions of dollars in their commission. Player uses an agent for the majority of a negotiation and outlines the contract parameters and then fires the agent and signs the deal 5 days later "representing themselves"? No. That's no good either.

InTheZone

Reaction score
I've always questioned why players pay a ridiculous amount for an agents in contract talks. And unless I have a ton of sponsorships I don't need one to assist me around my work schedule.

They're literal bottom feeders and what good is an agent when players are broke before or soon after they retire while the agents siphon millions a year for as long as they're around

superonyx

Reaction score
Because they're not "allowed to represent themselves" when they have hired an agent. It's either/or, not both.
I don't agree with your take on this.
Its similar to a person the police are questioning asking for an attorney. Hiring an attorney or agent does not remove your rights to speak on your own behalf.
I can't see anyone giving absolute power to another to the point they can't even speak on their own behalf.

I'm sure the player has a contract with the agent and the agent will review and weigh in on any contracts the team presents but I am not sold this means a player and a team are no longer allow to speak about salary. Agents may advise a player not to but this doesnt mean a player can't choose to anyway.

It's up to the player who represents and speaks on their behalf.
Unless the CBA says a team is forbidden to speak to a player represented by an agent then I dont see the problem. I'm sure Jerry knows the rules.

superonyx

Reaction score
Not where there is such huge money involved, no. From an agent's perspective, they would be looking at the potential loss of millions of dollars in their commission. Player uses an agent for the majority of a negotiation and outlines the contract parameters and then fires the agent and signs the deal 5 days later "representing themselves"? No. That's no good either.
The agents are losing nothing because they are getting paid either way. I'm sure like a real estate agent they have it written in the contract that guarantees them commission if the player tries to pull some crap like that.

mcmvp

Reaction score
I have no doubt that the genesis of this came from Rocky Arceneaux and his group. More bad decisions coming from an inexperienced group that doesn't know what they're doing or realize what they've now started.

Unless Zeke changes agents, I'm not sure whether or not a deal can now get done in Dallas. I think things have just taken a really ugly turn.

I agree that is came from him. But Jerry is also partially to blame for the way he's been 'negotiating in the media'. Jokes and comments that poke at Zeke. Trying to get the fanbase, and perhaps some of his other players, on his side and make Zeke look like the greedy one.

I agree with Jerry's view of wishing for them all to look at the big picture, and think of the overall team. But he's not doing himself any favors by loving the cameras and spotlight as much as he does. This is exactly why things get ugly. If this was all being done behind closed doors - the gloves wouldn't be coming off as much.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its similar to a person the police are questioning asking for an attorney. Hiring an attorney or agent does not remove your rights to speak on your own behalf.
I can't see anyone giving absolute power to another to the point they can't even speak on their own behalf.

I'm sure the player has a contract with the agent and the agent will review and weigh in on any contracts the team presents but I am not sold this means a player and a team are no longer allow to speak about salary. Agents may advise a player not to but this doesnt mean a player can't choose to anyway.

Unless the CBA says a team is forbidden to speak to a player represented by an agent then I dont see the problem. I'm sure Jerry knows the rules.

You should look again.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Not allowed". I'd like to see what law this is from. If it's from the players contract with his agent this it's all on the player.

No it isnt. It takes two to tango here, and owners and GM's are well aware of the rules.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The agents are losing nothing because they are getting paid either way. I'm sure like a real estate agent they have it written in the contract that guarantees them commission if the player tries to pull some crap like that.

Show me the "you can't fire me" clause in an agent's contract. And be sure to show it Jedeveon Clowney's agent that he just fired.

Rayman70

Reaction score
its Fake news...sour grapes. Nothing Dallas' front office is doing talkin directly to players about deals is any different than what all other 31 teams do. They are just being singled out because Zeke is Butt Hurt right now. Wouldn't be shocked if his agent contacted the NFL PA and stirred this up. ALL THE CLUBS TALK TO ITS PLAYERS ABOUT DEALS.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree that is came from him. But Jerry is also partially to blame for the way he's been 'negotiating in the media'. Jokes and comments that poke at Zeke. Trying to get the fanbase, and perhaps some of his other players, on his side and make Zeke look like the greedy one.

For as good of a businessman as he is, both Jerry and his son talk far too much. And both are far more forthcoming with the media than they should be. You would think that both would have learned their lesson by now, but both love the attention and spotlight far too much.

I agree with Jerry's view of wishing for them all to look at the big picture, and think of the overall team. But he's not doing himself any favors by loving the cameras and spotlight as much as he does. This is exactly why things get ugly. If this was all being done behind closed doors - the gloves wouldn't be coming off as much.

I agree with you on that. But I think that turning things ugly as Arceneaux and Co have here is the opposite of the way to get a deal done. By causing problems for the Joneses, I think they're taking things further away, not closer. It clearly shows me a lack of experience in this arena.

EST_1986

Reaction score

ALWAYS a horrible idea to talk to anyone crooked without proper representation

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
THE AGENT IS TRYING TO LEVERAGE A DEAL by stirring up this nonsense. Its called an old fashioned blackmail attempt...or shake down.Its slimey tactics.

I can't help but to wonder if the Joneses might have become so frustrated in trying to deal with Arceneaux and these clowns that someone might have 'suggested' to Elliott that he should change representation? If that got back to the agent somehow, I could certainly see him going this 'nuclear route' which is exactly what I feel this move is.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
So talking to a player directly is a violation now?

LOL...…………...whatever:rolleyes:

I'm sure King Roger will declare us guilty and either take away a draft pick or make us go 10 games again without a holding call on our opponents.:(

Rayman70

Reaction score
you cannot prevent legally, a teams GM or owner from talking to its players directly about ANYTHNG. Its still a free country last time I checked. Its he said she said...Someones word against anothers. Its very difficult...near impossible to prove. This will go nowhere. Failed attempt by the agent and Zeke to hold a gun to the teams head more or less...and they used the NFLPA to do it. This is getting really nasty guys. We might need to ship Zeke out of Dallas.

superonyx

Reaction score
Show me the "you can't fire me" clause in an agent's contract. And be sure to show it Jedeveon Clowney's agent that he just fired.
I am not an agent so I have no rights to the legal contract the agent signs with the player.
I didn't say you can't fire me. Clearly any contract has a termination clause. If the agent is not acting in the players best interest per the contract then of course the player has a way to terminate the contract.
This isnt some playground contract.