NFLPA looking into Cowboys' direct dealing with players

Rayman70

Reaction score
I can't help but to wonder if the Joneses might have become so frustrated in trying to deal with Arceneaux and these clowns that someone might have 'suggested' to Elliott that he should change representation? If that got back to the agent somehow, I could certainly see him going this 'nuclear route' which is exactly what I feel this move is.
agree...and your terminology is spot on.Looks like a desperate ploy.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not an agent so I have no rights to the legal contract the agent signs with the player.
I didn't say you can't fire me. Clearly any contract has a termination clause. If the agent is not acting in the players best interest per the contract then of course the player has a way to terminate the contract.
This isnt some playground contract.

No, it isn't. And agents can and have come after money when a contract has been signed after they were fired. Essentially, they claim that "I took negotiations THIS FAR". Things get real messy.

superonyx

Reaction score
What I'm asking is what "rule" states this? NFL Bylaws .. some federal law? Is it simply a gentleman's agreement?
It sounds like its the Stasharoo law of message boards. This dude will argue with you over the color of the sky until its dark.
Maybe there is some rule. But I see no proof of this. Stasharoo likes to speak in absolutes even without absolute proof.

If its proven then I will stand corrected.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s not a dumb rule, really. It’s there to protect the players. The agents can be greedy and sleazy...no doubt about it. But the owners would royally screw the players if they didn’t have representation.

This is all true. Sad but true. Nobody is without blame.

superonyx

Reaction score
No, it isn't. And agents can and have come after money when a contract has been signed after they were fired. Essentially, they claim that "I took negotiations THIS FAR". Things get real messy.
Prove it then.
Show us the agent player contract you have that outlines this.

Have you ever read a contract even for a real estate agent?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What I'm asking is what "rule" states this? NFL Bylaws .. some federal law? Is it simply a gentleman's agreement?

Dealing directly with players who are represented by agents violates the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and it violates applicable federal labor laws.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It sounds like its the Stasharoo law of message boards. This dude will argue with you over the color of the sky until its dark.
Maybe there is some rule. But I see no proof of this. Stasharoo likes to speak in absolutes even without absolute proof.

If its proven then I will stand corrected.

Dealing directly with players who are represented by agents violates the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and it violates applicable federal labor laws.

Believe it or don't. It's all the same to me.

superonyx

Reaction score
Maybe its implied? Like an "unwritten rule" or something.

I glanced over it myself and I didnt see anything that specifically states its a violation, so I dont know.
There is nothing in the CBA that says anything about this.

Honesty I dont even see anything that could be implied.

Its funny how dudes like Stasharoo come here and speak in absolutes and want to argue with everyone.

I'm not even sure if there is a rule. So I won't take a hard position on this. No one should who doesnt know.
This guy comes here yelling at people and state its in the CBA with some federal law nonsense.

Lets see his backtracking now.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is nothing in the CBA that says anything about this.

Honesty I dont even see anything that could be implied.

Its funny how dudes like Stasharoo come here and speak in absolutes and want to argue with everyone.

I'm not even sure if there is a rule. So I won't take a hard position on this. No one should who doesnt know.
This guy comes here yelling at people and state its in the CBA with some federal law nonsense.

Lets see his backtracking now.

You're the guy who's obviously triggered and looking to make things personal here. If you don't think there's an issue, take it up with everyone saying that there is. Take it up with Mika Garagolo, Mike Florio, Bleacher report, and everyone else reporting on it.

Go and set them straight.

There will be no "backtracking" here whatsoever.

But if you think I'm going to read over the entire Collective Bargaining Agreement to prove it to you? You're out of your mind.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
I've always questioned why players pay a ridiculous amount for an agents in contract talks. And unless I have a ton of sponsorships I don't need one to assist me around my work schedule.

They're literal bottom feeders and what good is an agent when players are broke before or soon after they retire while the agents siphon millions a year for as long as they're around

It’s because players in a lot of sports, NFL and footballers in Europe the best examples, are too thick and lazy to do things for themselves...
They won’t go out and buy stuff themselves, they’ll tell their agent to do it...
This is why you see a lot of players struggle so much financially after their careers are over... With no income coming in, the agents don’t care about them anymore and the players soon spend or loose whatever they had left.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
There is another post in this forum about Dez Bryant talking to Jerry without his agent which he ended up refusing to do. I think that sums things up. I imagine teams can deal directly with players and players with a contract with an agent would still pay the agent fee. I have to imagine it is like a buyer/real estate agent agreement which is why I am reluctant to hire a real estate agent. That being said, I'd hire a good agent if I were negotiating a multi-million dollar employment contract.

superonyx

Reaction score
You're the guy who's obviously triggered and looking to make things personal here. If you don't think there's an issue, take it up with everyone saying that there is. Take it up with Mika Garagolo, Mike Florio, Bleacher report, and everyone else reporting on it.

Go and set them straight.

There will be no "backtracking" here whatsoever.

But if you think I'm going to read over the entire Collective Bargaining Agreement to prove it to you? You're out of your mind.
Backtracking. Haha.
There are only a few sections covering contracts. It won't take long. Skip the practice and drug parts.

It's not in there so stop lying to people that it is. You try to sound smart and add some federal law nonsense. It's not in the CBA.

rags747

Reaction score
Unions are so like 50’s. So the Jones boys dealing with the player 1 on 1 is somehow a problem? Looks like a real stretch to me. Life is always about removing the middleperson, common sense folks.

superonyx

Reaction score
There is another post in this forum about Dez Bryant talking to Jerry without his agent which he ended up refusing to do. I think that sums things up. I imagine teams can deal directly with players and players with a contract with an agent would still pay the agent fee. I have to imagine it is like a buyer/real estate agent agreement which is why I am reluctant to hire a real estate agent. That being said, I'd hire a good agent if I were negotiating a multi-million dollar employment contract.
Someone who gets it.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Unions are so like 50’s. So the Jones boys dealing with the player 1 on 1 is somehow a problem? Looks like a real stretch to me. Life is always about removing the middleperson, common sense folks.

Not sure why that would be illegal. Players are allowed to represent themselves so its always worth a shot!

Because the CBA gives the NFLPA authority to set rules governing agents who represent their players. If you want to represent yourself, don't hire an agent.

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/Agents/RegulationsAmendedAugust2016.pdf

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Backtracking. Haha.
There are only a few sections covering contracts. It won't take long. Skip the practice and drug parts.

It's not in there so stop lying to people that it is. You try to sound smart and add some federal law nonsense. It's not in the CBA.

Again, take it up with the people reporting it. You seem to believe that you "know better".