NFL's Fastest Players

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
Bob Hayes is still the fastest man in NFL history.

Ran 100m in 10 seconds on a dirt track in borrowed shoes. And won a gold medal.

Darrell Green, Prime, Bo, etc. are all obviously very fast, but none of them would have beaten Bullet Bob in a footrace.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I'm okay conceding that Bob Hayes is the fast man in NFL history.
However, as with any argument, time and era make the debate sort of irrelevant.
For example, Bob Hayes TRAINED as a world class sprinter. You don't get to the Olympics merely stepping onto the track. You practice hand position, knee lift and work extremely hard to run at your peak level.
Deion played football, baseball and basketball. (Same thing with my oldest son. Was extreme fast when he was younger but didn't run track. Instead, played football, baseball, basketball and wrestled before getting into track in high school. I told him had he run track at the beginning, he would have been world-class by his high school year, even though he's still fast.) To my knowledge, Deion never ran track. Or if he did, he didn't spend a long time in it. (Wikipedia page doesn't acknowledge he ran track.)
In fact, there are varying reports of how dedicated Deion was to training. Some say he really didn't train that hard. Others, like Michael Irvin, say he was a very hard worker.
I said all this to say, image if Deion Sanders trained for track like Bob Hayes did. If he did, I doubt very seriously Hayes would beat Deion. Hayes was 5'11. Deion 6'1. Deion had longer legs. And if he took part in the stretching exercises that sprinters CONSISTENTLY do, he would have been even faster because he would benefit from looser hamstrings. Any time you can not train, not stretch, run a 40 and run it 4.2? Uh, you da FAST!

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Larry Allen was the fastest player in history (relative to size). That tackle he made his rookie year was one of the best plays ever. I still laugh.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I rewatched this garbage and I couldn't believe who they had at #1. Bullet Bob Hayes was once clocked at 5.28 in the 60-yard dash. The NFL din't have any record of 40 times for Bob Hayes. If you convert the time to the 40, Bullet Bob would have ran a sub 4.0!

The man was thee fastest man in the world, yet he came in on this list as #2.
FASTEST PLAYERS? Thought for sure my GMO would be in the top 3. Oh wait, NFL--------->runs

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. In a straight up race, I'll take Bolt against anyone.

And you would be correct to do so. Prime Usain Bolt in 2008 would have beat any NFL player, past or present, in any race 200m or less.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
37 yards in 3 seconds! What's the quickest touchdown?

It was the Eagles that ended up surprised. Randall Williams fielded the onside kick and raced 37 yards to the end zone. When the dust settled, only three seconds had ticked off the clock, and the Cowboys had a 7-0 lead on their way to a 23-21 victory. It is the fastest touchdown ever scored in the NFL.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Larry Allen was the fastest player in history (relative to size). That tackle he made his rookie year was one of the best plays ever. I still laugh.
Couldn't agree more. Larry was an AMAZING player. I contend that he was as dominant as any player ever. HOF'ers talk about sleepless nights before facing him or other HOF'ers faking injuries to avoid facing him. That is the ultimate in respect.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. Larry was an AMAZING player. I contend that he was as dominant as any player ever. HOF'ers talk about sleepless nights before facing him or other HOF'ers faking injuries to avoid facing him. That is the ultimate in respect.

Those John Randle clips were awesome. Randle was a man amoung men DT with a mouth. He wanted no part of Larry Allen and probably respected him more than any opponent. Allen was a great, great player.

On the same topic I think Erik Williams is massively underrated. In his era he had to go up against a Bruce Smith and Reggie White. Williams routinely dismantled great players.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Ever seen Usain Bolt run the 100m? He's never out front after the first 40 yards. There are a 100 guys who could beat him in a 40 yard dash. But he builds speed as the race goes and when he finally gets to top speed, nobody can touch him. Point is that the 40 is more about explosion and acceleration than speed. You can't compare a guys 60 yard or 100M time and project it to a 40 yard time.

Bob Hayes was fast for his era but track and field is progressive. Hayes couldn't touch Carl Lewis in a 100M dash. Carl Lewis wouldn't have even made the US track team as a sprinter last olympics. Dudes are just getting faster.
Bob Hayes would be fast in this era as well. He ran a 10.06 at the Olympics on what looked like a dirt track wearing loose clothing. If he had run on the new high tech tracks, with the body suits that sprinters wear now, along with the training that they receive today, no doubt he could shave .3-.5 off his time and be right there with Bolt and others.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Those John Randle clips were awesome. Randle was a man amoung men DT with a mouth. He wanted no part of Larry Allen and probably respected him more than any opponent. Allen was a great, great player.
Two of my favorite LA plays. LA is playing LT, fully engaged with his man. LB has a huge gap & looks like he is going to plant Aikman. LA puts his big right paw right in his chest and stones him all while stoning the other guy with his left hand. (I believe it was Hardy Nickerson from Tampa Bay) I remember it was a big, good LB accelerating & he literally lifted him off his feet to a dead stop.
Next was in the SB vs Steelers. First offensive series, he pulls from RG & pancakes Greg Lloyd (who was about 260 I believe) to free Emmitt around the left side. I think the Steelers thought Lloyd was going to be their ace and the play set the tone that we had the eraser.

On the same topic I think Erik Williams is massively underrated. In his era he had to go up against a Bruce Smith and Reggie White. Williams routinely dismantled great players.
no doubt. if he doesn't have the car wreck, who knows how high his star would have gotten. Although I respected Reggie's talents, I never really cared for him. After Erik whooped him & he started complaining all the time, I respected him even less.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score

If not for the wreck, and resulting injuries, he might have been just as great as Allen. He was a wrecking machine in 1994, pre car crash. Just destroying people.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

If he hadn't had that accident, there's no question in my mind he'd be in the NFL Hall of Fame right now.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It is one thing having the speed as Bob did and while a guy like Bolt is faster the big question can he catch a football because speed without ability is just speed and will not work in the NFL. You got to catch it. lol

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Apparently you are unaware that Bob Hayes was the reason zone defenses were created. Nobody could stick with him one on one, so they had to find ways to give help.

There are a lot of players like that. I’m well aware of Bob Hayes, and I’m also aware there were corners in the nfl that could reasonably keep up with him

GMO415

Reaction score
Bob was so fast the NFL defenses came up with zone coverages because no one was able to stay with him one on one. Bob was not just the fastest man in the NFL at that time he was the fastest man in the world.
Just more Dallas hate I think.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are a lot of players like that. I’m well aware of Bob Hayes, and I’m also aware there were corners in the nfl that could reasonably keep up with him
This goes to your comment that Hayes didn’t look like he was breaking away from people, and that’s a ridiculously false statement. The man averaged 20 yards per catch over his career - 26.1 yards per catch in 1970. That doesn’t happening without consistently breaking away from opponents.

And no, there aren’t a lot of players that by themselves forced opponents to create a new defensive form to defend specifically against them. That happened precisely because Hayes was consistently blowing past and breaking away from opposing defenses. Nobody in the game at that time was even close to being able to run with him.

Last edited: