NFL's most valuable running back: Ezekiel Elliott? Le'Veon Bell?

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Truth is no1 is ever gonna know until these guys step on the field. How many "can't miss" prospects have come out and not succeeded.

In Zeke's case yes he has all the measurables. However he has something that is imperative at his position and that is vision. His vision is what separates him in my opinion. The ability to find the hole quickly and then use his natural ability is what makes him great. I do think barkley becomes a great running back, plus he def seems like a high character type guy.

That being said regardless of what barkley does i'm just hoping Darnould becomes a star across town for the Jets. I hope it haunts the giants the next 15 years for passing on him.

This, the CRAZY gnats turns down a chance to get possible franchise QB for a rb and then tries to patch up the OL for him, when there QB starting now is about 40.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Based on the fact he did it at Ohio State and has the talent to do it in the NFL. We've already seen him take two screens all thew way to the house. Right now he isn't used properly in the passing game like they should.
He.....didn't do it at Ohio State. That's....kind of the point.

aria

Reaction score
Why is “who’s better” such an issue for some of you? Who cares? I just want the win. Some of you act like one of these hundreds of sports “analysts” pulled a Dez on your momma because they say Barkley is better than Zeke, the Cowboys are ranked lower then you think they should be or they don’t give Dake enough credit.

Who friggin cares? Let the results speak for themselves. I couldn’t care less if Zeke has more or less yards than Barkley, that still doesn’t prove who is better. I don’t care who catches more balls, that doesn’t prove who’s better either. I don’t care if Zeke gets 2 ypc as long as we win win win.

ghst187

Reaction score
we're also forgetting Gurley and David Johnson....
who's absolute 1? who cares, they are all fantastic and you are splitting hairs to compare them, they all change game dynamics significantly.
I wouldn't trade Zeke for any of them and their fans probably wouldn't trade their RB for Zeke. If I didn't have Zeke, I'd desperately want one of any of those guys though.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Elliott might not be the best but is without a doubt the most valuable because we don’t have a chance without him.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Meh. People constantly bring up total yards but fail to mention how Zeke carries the ball ~5-6 more than almost (possible most) every other RB. Take an avg of 4 YPC (it’s actually more) so thats 24 more yards per game x 16 which is 384 more yards per season which is a ton.

*Edited above based on rough estimates

Also have to factor in the O line, we have one of the best, if not the best. IMO, there’s too many variables to single one of them out, they’re all very good and have similar but different skill sets. I don’t see how anyone can objectively say one is better than the other.

As Casserly points out, Zeke has far less help than any of these guys but still produces better on the ground than they do. Zeke may get more carries but he's also targeted less in the passing game. Zeke runs behind a great OL but more than any of these other RBs he's also the focus of every defense he faces.

I'm more optimistic about the Dallas air attack than most people. I think the switch to an emphasis on precision and detail will be a good thing and we're going to see Dak and Zeke both have banner years.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think Barkley will be the best RB in football. I think Bell is currently the best in football. I think arguing it is useless. It's all opinion. Zeke is really good.
I'd rather have Barkley over Zeke. I'd rather have Zeke over Bell. And I think Bell is currently the best RB in football and I think Zeke is the 2nd best RB in football currently.

Bell, Gurley, Johnson are the best RB's in football. Because of the all around nature of them. If Zeke shows that versatility, which I think he can, then he gets in that circle.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We can debate the merits of the best RB’s in the league. They all have varied skills they bring to the table.

That being said. Ask yourself this question.

Games on the line, it’s 4th and 1. You need that 1 yard to keep the drive alive and a chance to score. Is there any RB in the league you trust more than Zeke to pick up that yard?

Zeke is lethal in short yardage situations. He gets the tough/dirty yards better than any of the other top RB’s in the league.

All 4 would get that yard. Zeke also plays behind the best line in football. If they didnt get a 2 yard push off the ball, would his smash mouth style work with guys getting in the backfield? Probably, but doubtfull it would be as good as the other guys. All 3 of those guys has done more for longer with bad to average Olines. Most of them did it by catching a lot of balls when the running lanes werent there. But then again, none of those guys had the predictable, boring, dont throw it to your RB's head coach like Garrett is.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Zeke will separate from the pack this year. It’ll be more clear he’s the best.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I think Barkley will be the best RB in football. I think Bell is currently the best in football. I think arguing it is useless. It's all opinion. Zeke is really good.
I'd rather have Barkley over Zeke. I'd rather have Zeke over Bell. And I think Bell is currently the best RB in football and I think Zeke is the 2nd best RB in football currently.
You have nothing to base that on other than maybe wishful thinking for some reason.......Zeke has already proven he can succeed at a high level in the NFL while your favorite player has yet to take a snap in a regular season game.......and that doesn't even mention he'll be behind probably a third tier OL..

Swanny

Reaction score
Bell, Gurley, Johnson are the best RB's in football. Because of the all around nature of them. If Zeke shows that versatility, which I think he can, then he gets in that circle.
I forgot about Johnson. I cant argue with you saying those 3 are better.

Swanny

Reaction score
You have nothing to base that on other than maybe wishful thinking for some reason.......Zeke has already proven he can succeed at a high level in the NFL while your favorite player has yet to take a snap in a regular season game.......and that doesn't even mention he'll be behind probably a third tier OL..
Are you talking about Barkley? Obviously I have nothing to base that on. It's a prediction and an opinion. It's not a fact. My favorite player? Far from it. I don't like RBs. I like me some meat. Tyron and Beard are my favorite players. Favorite all time is probably Dat Nguyen though. I know weird but I just loved Dat

Hardline

Reaction score
I don't care that a lot of people use the Cowboys offensive line as a feather in Zekes cap. It doesn't take away the fact that he is the best RB in the league.
The ONLY reason he doesn't have the passing stats is because he's rarely thrown to.
What we do know is he is the best pure rusher and the best blocking RB right now.and he is doing it against defenses that are selling out to stop him.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Any legit conversation has to include David Johnson. Between Zeke, Bell and Johnson there isn't a right or wrong answer. It's all subjective.

Fwiw, I'm very happy Zeke is our guy. Johnson would be my second choice for this team.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
58 receptions
449 yards
7.7 average.

He kinda did do it at Ohio state.
Averaged like 2 receptions a game. Just about what he's averaged in Dallas. Just about the same amount if yards per completion also.

How you compare this meager production....which he's matched here in Dallas....to what Bell does is a joke.