Nick Foles buying out his contract to become free agent

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's still 30-20 as a starter, 4 career playoff wins, 4.3% to 2.1% TD to INT ratio, and has a reputation as an aggressive downfield passer. He doesn't have to be Aaron Rodgers, he just has to be a noticeable upgrade to Bortles or Keenum.

Okay, so he averages 4.3 wins and 2.9 losses a season as a starter ... As for the postseason stats you posted, that just supports what I said about the love being built mostly on one strong postseason over an otherwise very ordinary 7 year career. Take out the Super Bowl season and his postseason record is 1-2, he averaged 221 yards per game, and he had 5 total TDs and 4 total INTs. The one Super Bowl post season was outstanding, and dramatically elevated the perception people have of him, but his overall career is much more mundane.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah thanks!

We were worse off last year, then we traded for Michael Bennet, signed Mike Wallace & Haloti Ngata and gave Foles a raise. We have a pretty good cap guy.

And those prior risks have now come home to roost.

Everybody knows that Foles has to come off your books.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Okay, so he averages 4.3 wins and 2.9 losses a season as a starter ... As for the postseason stats you posted, that just supports what I said about the love being built mostly on one strong postseason over an otherwise very ordinary 7 year career. Take out the Super Bowl season and his postseason record is 1-2, he averaged 221 yards per game, and he had 5 total TDs and 4 total INTs. The one Super Bowl post season was outstanding, and dramatically elevated the perception people have of him, but his overall career is much more mundane.

Take out Dak's first three years and he hasn't done anything. Why are you taking out achievements to prove that he has none?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Take out Dak's first three years and he hasn't done anything. Why are you taking out achievements to prove that he has none?

You need to read closer, because I clearly did not take out achievements to say he has none, and in fact my entire premise, and much of what I have written, is specifically based on how outstanding he was in the 2017 playoffs. The reason I took those out was to say that without that one postseason his 7 year career is very ordinary, and that much of the love he receives now is based on those 3 playoff games without regard for the totality of his career.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
You need to read closer, because I clearly did not take out achievements to say he has none, and in fact my entire premise, and much of what I have written, is specifically based on how outstanding he was in the 2017 playoffs. The reason I took those out was to say that without that one postseason his 7 year career is very ordinary, and that much of the love he receives now is based on those 3 playoff games without regard for the totality of his career.

But what you did do is remove 3 playoff games so you could cite 3 other playoff games. You literally had to remove half his resumé to make your point.

Sydla

Reaction score
The problem is trading for Foles would be trading for a player that isn't even under contract. It would take having to make a trade based on having the ability to have him franchised for a year without knowing if a longer term deal could be worked out. How much would a team trade for that?

It's actually two years. He'd be tagged this year and then the team could tag him in the 2020 season.

Sydla

Reaction score
But what you did do is remove 3 playoff games so you could cite 3 other playoff games. You literally had to remove half his resumé to make your point.

He didn't actually take it out. You need to comprehend what you are reading. He said Foles gets a lot of mileage out of his last SB run BUT his other playoff experience consists of one win and two losses. He's not taking it out, his pointing out that Foles has limited playoff success beyond one magical run season.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yeah thanks!

We were worse off last year, then we traded for Michael Bennet, signed Mike Wallace & Haloti Ngata and gave Foles a raise. We have a pretty good cap guy.

Ehhh, you didn't head into last year's 2018 league year $18 million under the cap, with the potential free agent losses you might be facing this year.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
He didn't actually take it out. You need to comprehend what you are reading. He said Foles gets a lot of mileage out of his last SB run BUT his other playoff experience consists of one win and two losses. He's not taking it out, his pointing out that Foles has limited playoff success beyond one magical run season.

Take out the Super Bowl season and his postseason record is 1-2, he averaged 221 yards per game, and he had 5 total TDs and 4 total INTs

He made no citation whatsoever for 2017. Why only cite the other games if you're including all postseason games to make your point?

Last edited:

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Ehhh, you didn't head into last year's 2018 league year $18 million under the cap, with the potential free agent losses you might be facing this year.

In 2017, we lost our best CB, our best RB, a DT role player and a DE starter. This year it'll be our best CB, a DE starter (not the best one in 2018), and our best RB. Pretty sure we'll resign Hicks.

With Nick off the Cap, we'll be just under. Last year we went into the offseason 2m$ under.

Sydla

Reaction score
In 2017, we lost our best CB, our best RB, a DT role player and a DE starter. This year it'll be our best CB, a DE starter (not the best one in 2018), and our best RB. Pretty sure we'll resign Hicks.

With Nick off the Cap, we'll be just under. Last year we went into the offseason 2m$ under.

Your best CB, which I assume was Robinson, was making peanuts. Your best RB, I assume that's Blount, also wasn't making that much. And you lost your starting DE because he was grossly overpaid and not all that good. So lets not act like you lost a bunch of high priced, upper echelon type players prior to the 2018 season.

And again, you weren't ($18MM) over the cap prior to any roster management either prior to the 2018 season.

So no, you weren't in worse shape last year.

Sure, with Nick off the books you'd be just under. But the fact is you have to be under BEFORE the league starts and you can trade Foles. So that's going to involve more cuts and restructures.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Your best CB, which I assume was Robinson, was making peanuts. Your best RB, I assume that's Blount, also wasn't making that much. And you lost your starting DE because he was grossly overpaid and not all that good. So lets not act like you lost a bunch of high priced, upper echelon type players prior to the 2018 season.

And again, you weren't ($18MM) over the cap prior to any roster management either prior to the 2018 season.

So no, you weren't in worse shape last year.

This point is only valid if you believe Nick will remain on our cap. Which no one does.

And Robinson was far more valuable to our scheme than Darby, who missed most of our super bowl year and wasn't all that good in 2018 when he wasn't injured. Darby is also making peanuts, btw. Blount was also still making more than Ajayi, and clearly played better in Philly. We also aren't losing a bunch of high priced, upper echelon players this year either. The only one you could claim is Graham, whom isn't making more than Curry was, and didn't exactly have his best season in 2018. The guy we traded a 5 to Seattle for was noticeably superior.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
His point was simple for anyone that doesn't have a brain deficiency.

That outside of 2017, he's had a pedestrian playoff run.

He's started fewer regular season games than Dak Prescott, he doesn't have a large sample size. You're basing the entirety of a QB's career on 3 total games. Really think about that.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
They won't have to, because the Eagles will be the team that's stuck. Over the cap, forced to cut other players, and unable to resign any of their own or anybody else's.

Oh, and with an obvious quarterback controversy.

Yeah, I'll take that bet every time.
:thumbup:

So you wanna bet the Eagles will be able to move him?

Sydla

Reaction score
This point is only valid if you believe Nick will remain on our cap. Which no one does.

And Robinson was far more valuable to our scheme than Darby, who missed most of our super bowl year and wasn't all that good in 2018 when he wasn't injured. Darby is also making peanuts, btw. Blount was also still making more than Ajayi, and clearly played better in Philly. We also aren't losing a bunch of high priced, upper echelon players this year either. The only one you could claim is Graham, whom isn't making more than Curry was, and didn't exactly have his best season in 2018. The guy we traded a 5 to Seattle for was noticeably superior.

I don't believe he will be on the cap either but what you seemingly miss is the Eagles have to be under the cap prior to the start of the league year. They can't say, "well, we are going to trade Foles anyway so the cap space issue is a non-starter". It is. Because the Eagles have to be under the cap by $25MM when they tag him. And they can't get him under the cap with a tag right now unless they cut more guys, restructure some guys, etc. Because right now, after the McLeod restructure and then the savings on Foles option, they are only sitting at like $11-13MM in cap space. They need $12-14MM more to tag Foles.

You guys have cap issues. Its idiotic to deny otherwise. And to make this whole Foles trade work out, they are going to have to trim even more somewhere either in cutting a guy (like Peters), restructuring others, or have a guy like Kelco and/or Long retire.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I don't believe he will be on the cap either but what you seemingly miss is the Eagles have to be under the cap prior to the start of the league year. They can't say, "well, we are going to trade Foles anyway so the cap space issue is a non-starter". It is. Because the Eagles have to be under the cap when they tag him. And they can't get him under the cap with a tag right now unless they cut more guys, restructure some guys, etc.

You guys have cap issues. Its idiotic to deny otherwise. And to make this whole Foles trade work out, they are going to have to trim even more somewhere either in cutting a guy (like Peters), restructuring others, or have a guy like Kelco and/or Long retire.

I never disputed we have cap issues. We've had cap issues every year since the Chip Kelly spending spree. But we have Howie Roseman. And we may renegotiate or cut players, but we won't do it specifically to cater to the Nick situation. Either we don't franchise him and let him walk, or we have something planned. To cut multiple starters just to get a mid round pick isn't logical. If you question the methods, let's wait and see.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't believe he will be on the cap either but what you seemingly miss is the Eagles have to be under the cap prior to the start of the league year. They can't say, "well, we are going to trade Foles anyway so the cap space issue is a non-starter". It is. Because the Eagles have to be under the cap by $25MM when they tag him. And they can't get him under the cap with a tag right now unless they cut more guys, restructure some guys, etc. Because right now, after the McLeod restructure and then the savings on Foles option, they are only sitting at like $11-13MM in cap space. They need $12-14MM more to tag Foles.

From what I'm reading, they have to be under the cap by March 12th, the start of the new league year. And they're currently $16 million over.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With Nick, whom no one expects us to hold on to.

Including every other NFL team that people somehow think will still give up a 3rd round draft pick.

So, if "no one expects you to hold onto him", they also don't expect to pay draft compensation for a guy you can't afford to keep.