Nick Saban on zone defenses

Dre11

Reaction score
Y
Great. Doesn't change the fact he's a better coach than Garrett.

Saban also thought Lane Kiffin was a great coach too. The guy is not infallible.

And you’re crazy, he did nothing in the NFL and actually quit because he couldn’t...lol

Dre11

Reaction score
I don’t understand the logic when you claim one could easily argue Garrett is a better coach.

What is the basis for this? Because Saban flamed our in 2 seasons in the NFL compared to Garrett, who was handed a franchise QB to start and in 7 full seasons has just one playoff win?

I don’t think you’d find a heck of a lot of support outside of the Cowboys fan world for the argument that Jason Garrett is a better head coach than Nick Saban.

Lol it is easy, Saban quit, was terrible, Garrett compiled better records. Has won COY award, Saban?

Sydla

Reaction score
Lol it is easy, Saban quit, was terrible, Garrett compiled better records. Has won COY award, Saban?

Yeah Saban quit............ because he knew he had **** in Miami and could rebuild Alabama quicker. It's not like he ran off from Miami to take a job at Bumblebutt U. He took a job at one of the most elite college programs in history.

Garrett has one playoff win in 7 seasons. Yeah, big improvement over Saban's two year NFL career.

I sit here stunned, yet utterly entertained, at the length's people will go to claim Jason Garrett is better than he actually is.

Sydla

Reaction score
Y

And you’re crazy, he did nothing in the NFL and actually quit because he couldn’t...lol

The only crazy one here is the person who is trying to argue that Jason Garrett is a better head coach than Nick Saban.

If you offered up that opinion to any expert outside of Cowboys fandom land, you'd be laughed at. I might understand it if Garrett had some level of success here. But in 7 years, he has one playoff win. One. That might be more pathetic than the two year job Saban did in Miami considering the QBs Saban inherited and the fact Garrett was handed a Pro Bowl level franchise QB in Romo and did squat with him.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
2005 he had Gus Frerotte and Sage Rosenfelds at QB.
2006 was broken Dante Culpepper, Joey Harrington and Cleo Lemon.
With Scott Linehan as the OC(2005), and Garrett as the QB coach as a fun fact.

Not blindly defending Saban, as I was pissed that he bailed like that, but he was given turds at QB for 2 years.
Saban coached with JG, so that's legit praise for Garrett as he was under Saban for two years in Miami.

Were not fun years watching the Dolphins(if there ever was such a thing)
Saban had his opportunity to get Brees instead of Culpepper. That was his downfall.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I found a super-old video of Michigan State head coach Nick Saban at a coaching clinic, breaking down his 4-3 zone defenses. 1 hour long but hugely informative if you're a strategy wonk, and even a casual 5 minute viewing at some random timestamp will have you coming away with some great insights.

This has a relevance for the Cowboys because

-we play almost all the zone concepts that Saban discusses here.

-Saban, like Marinelli, is VERY focused on giving players simple and easy-to-digest assignments for every play. They've got the same mentality - think less, play fast. Richard did the same sort of thing in Seattle.

-Saban discusses the importance of playing man and forcing receivers off of routes, even in what would nominally be zone looks (he calls it pattern matching). "If you're going to sit back off the receiver and watch the quarterback's eyes, all you're going to see is him completing a pass." We've all been sick of seeing that since ~2012, and this is the year that that's all supposed to change.

So think of this as kind of a primer on the Cowboys 2018 defensive strategy.

Thing is, Saban was never a successful NFL coach. Maybe it was the defensive strategy that kept him down or maybe it was just the Fish like yimmy yohnson :facepalm::muttley:

Sydla

Reaction score
Saban had his opportunity to get Brees instead of Culpepper. That was his downfall.

Brees failed the Dolphins physical. Saban wanted him but after the physical, they backed off.

Obviously, a dumb move.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I don't know that any coach will ever duplicate what Saban has done in Alabama. He was not a good NFL coach. But he is an all time great recruiter, with one of if not the best alumni backing him (lots of MONEY). Alabama pretty much has their pick of talent in the south, with the all the ones they don't want, going to a different school. As an Auburn fan, it really sucks too. But you have to respect what he has accomplished and will continue to accomplish. College is his domain, the NFL never really suited him, as his strength is recruiting and getting the talent he wants, not hoping they fall to you in a draft. But he is a great coach, just more suited for college over NFL. I think Garrett would be an excellent college coach as I can see him being really good with the recruiting as well. Just so happens he pretty good NFL coach too. They both play very similar styles of football so trying to say one is better than the other is kinda silly. They both pretty much run the same philosophy of football.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The only crazy one here is the person who is trying to argue that Jason Garrett is a better head coach than Nick Saban.

If you offered up that opinion to any expert outside of Cowboys fandom land, you'd be laughed at. I might understand it if Garrett had some level of success here. But in 7 years, he has one playoff win. One. That might be more pathetic than the two year job Saban did in Miami considering the QBs Saban inherited and the fact Garrett was handed a Pro Bowl level franchise QB in Romo and did squat with him.
But all you have is an opinion because there is nothing factual in what you're saying. You don't know what JG would do in the college ranks, yet your are posting absolutes. And you don't know what the outside expert opinions would be. You're assuming.

Again, I'm not defending JG at all, I couldn't care less. But he's been more successful in the NFL. And has never been an HC in college. So no one "knows."

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Brees failed the Dolphins physical. Saban wanted him but after the physical, they backed off.

Obviously, a dumb move.
And yet they traded for Culpepper who was more physically shot his knee than Brees with his shoulder.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Chip Kelly was a decent colllege coach. Not good for NFL though.

Not defending anyone Saban or Garrett

visionary

Reaction score

Exactly
You take that COY award every single day over 6 college football championships

:oldcouple:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I like Saban and think he is an excellent HC I also think they dynamics are much different in the NCAA than the NFL. How many professions are there where the employee is getting paid more than the boss? College coaches have a bit more power in dealing with these kids who are hoping to make it to the NFL one day.

Sydla

Reaction score
And yet they traded for Culpepper who was more physically shot his knee than Brees with his shoulder.

Per the story I read, the Dolphins doctors believed Culpepper's knee was in better shape than Brees' shoulder.

I wonder if we employ any of those old Dolphins doctors?

Sydla

Reaction score
But all you have is an opinion because there is nothing factual in what you're saying. You don't know what JG would do in the college ranks, yet your are posting absolutes. And you don't know what the outside expert opinions would be. You're assuming.

Again, I'm not defending JG at all, I couldn't care less. But he's been more successful in the NFL. And has never been an HC in college. So no one "knows."

LOL. Of course no one can say with certainty but the idea that a coach who has one playoff win in 7 seasons in Dallas would go to Alabama and basically recreate what Saban did is a complete long shot. I mean, of course, a meteor could hit Fort Worth tomorrow. Anything is possible, but how likely?

And yeah, I think it's a pretty safe assumption that most people outside Dallas wouldn't say Jason Garrett is a better head coach than Nick Saban. I mean if you want to cling to the slight possibility, I might be wrong, have at it.

Sydla

Reaction score
Chip Kelly was a decent colllege coach. Not good for NFL though.

Not defending anyone Saban or Garrett

Pete Carroll was a good college coach and won a SB in the NFL. Switzer was a great college coach. Won a SB in Dallas.