Nick Saban on zone defenses

JustChip

Reaction score
In saying that you don’t think Saban would have done a better job you are saying Garrett is his equal or maybe better.

Are you also saying Jimmy Johnson wouldn’t have done a better job than Garrett too? In other words, Garrett is also Johnson’s equal?
No, I’m saying it’s possible they wouldn’t have done a better job in these circumstances. It’s like comparing great players from different generations - fun to talk about but largely immaterial because of the circumstances.

Dre11

Reaction score
LOL.

The difference between HS and college is entirely different than between a major college program and the NFL.

The fact you think that’s a fair comparison is hilarious.

You absolutely ridiculous, because when you compare major HS programs to college it’s no comparison, just as a major college program is no comparison to NFL.

Sydla

Reaction score
No, I’m saying it’s possible they wouldn’t have done a better job in these circumstances. It’s like comparing great players from different generations - fun to talk about but largely immaterial because of the circumstances.

I could see arguing that they couldn’t win a SB with these conditions but to suggest they couldn’t at least do a better job than Garrett has is kind of insulting to what these other guys have accomplished.

Sydla

Reaction score
You absolutely ridiculous, because when you compare major HS programs to college it’s no comparison, just as a major college program is no comparison to NFL.

Yes because the leap from HS to college is much greater than the leap from a major college program to the NFL.

Dre11

Reaction score
Yes because the leap from HS to college is much greater than the leap from a major college program to the NFL.

Actually the jump to college is much easier than the jump from college to NFL. The amount of players that make it to the nfl is far less than the players that make it from HS to college. Are you serious?

HungryLion

Reaction score
No it’s embarrassing that you think he’s a better coach than Garrett who coaches on a higher level, and had more success at the highest level. You look foolish to say otherwise. I can’t believe how anyone would say otherwise...lol

Lol more success.

One playoff win in 7 years is more success.

Garrett is a mediocre head coach who has accomplished practically nothing of note. Why are we even arguing about whether he is better than Saban or not.

Sydla

Reaction score
Actually the jump to college is much easier than the jump from college to NFL. The amount of players that make it to the nfl is far less than the players that make it from HS to college. Are you serious?

Simply because of numbers. There are hundreds of college football programs around the country, spread across various levels. There are 32 NFL teams. So of course less players will go from college to the pros compared to high schoolers to college. If you think this somehow proves your point, then we might as well stop.

The stud LB from Alabama who is a first round lock and has trained in a NFL-style training program, in a multi-million dollar training facility likely sees far less culture shock going to the NFL then the LB coming from a high school to play at Alabama. It's bizarre that you can't see that.

Actually it's not bizarre at all. I've long come to realize that in order to defend Garrett, people will come up with some really crazy rationalizations.

Verdict

Reaction score
I really appreciate that video! A lot of great info packed in there.

Unfortunately, it has become impossible for anyone to post anything of value around here without an alarming amount of people glossing over anything substantive that might have been shared and instead spouting the same sarcastic rhetoric we've all heard a million times before, which without fail derails the entire thread into the repetitive, mundane arguments you see on every other thread regardless of how the original post was intended. It's boring as hell.

There's a time and place for sarcasm, but a lot of people around here need a refresher course on how and when. Sarcasm needs to be fresh and creative in order to be effective and what people have been passing off around here never was one of those things and stopped being the other a long time ago.

It's called idiocy. Be careful. It's an epidemic around here.

Dre11

Reaction score
Lol more success.

One playoff win in 7 years is more success.

Garrett is a mediocre head coach who has accomplished practically nothing of note. Why are we even arguing about whether he is better than Saban or not.

Saban has none at this level. Because that’s what the conversation was about.

Dre11

Reaction score
Simply because of numbers. There are hundreds of college football programs around the country, spread across various levels. There are 32 NFL teams. So of course less players will go from college to the pros compared to high schoolers to college. If you think this somehow proves your point, then we might as well stop.

The stud LB from Alabama who is a first round lock and has trained in a NFL-style training program, in a multi-million dollar training facility likely sees far less culture shock going to the NFL then the LB coming from a high school to play at Alabama. It's bizarre that you can't see that.

Actually it's not bizarre at all. I've long come to realize that in order to defend Garrett, people will come up with some really crazy rationalizations.

You’re crazy and wrong, it’s absolutely easier transition from HS to College hands down. It’s not even a debate....lol

HungryLion

Reaction score
Saban has none at this level. Because that’s what the conversation was about.

I feel better already knowing that Garrett is a better NFL coach than somebody who doesn’t coach in the league.