Nick Saban on zone defenses

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Pete Carroll was a good college coach and won a SB in the NFL. Switzer was a great college coach. Won a SB in Dallas.

Carroll 1st stint in the NFL did not go very well in New England. Coaches like Lou Holtz was very successful in college but did not translate into success in the Pros. You never know

cern

Reaction score
it's really about changing up the Marinelli defense. in particular, the inability to stop teams from converting on third and long. we're the worst at this.

cern

Reaction score
to be considered great, you have to shine in the spotlight. that defines a coach or a player. it was romo's downfall. when on his biggest stages, garrett did not shine. to judge garrett, one need only rely on fait accompli.

KDM256

Reaction score
Saban left Miami because of his inquiring of Drew Brees inthe offseason was vetoed by the front office who went with Culpepper due to Doctors saying Drew Brees was basically damaged goods.

A Frustrated Saban left Miami because he didn't have full control of the program and made sure at his next destination he had full control of the program, which Alabama granted his wish..

If Drew Brews goes to Miami instead of New Orleans, Nick Saban is probably still inthe NFL instead of ruling College Football with an Iron fist.

Sydla

Reaction score
Saban left Miami because of his inquiring of Drew Brees inthe offseason was vetoed by the front office who went with Culpepper due to Doctors saying Drew Brees was basically damaged goods.

A Frustrated Saban left Miami because he didn't have full control of the program and made sure at his next destination he had full control of the program, which Alabama granted his wish..

If Drew Brews goes to Miami instead of New Orleans, Nick Saban is probably still inthe NFL instead of ruling College Football with an Iron fist.

Bama got a bit lucky that things kind of fell apart in Miami. People forget that Bama first approached Saban who turned them down. Bama then offered the job to Rich Rodriguez who publicly turned them down. Then Bama got embarrassed with Mike Riley, an alum, also turned them down. They crawled back to Saban, who was having doubts then about staying in Miami, and gave him what he wanted and he took the job.

History might be different if RichRod or Riley had taken that job first.

Dre11

Reaction score
Yeah Saban quit............ because he knew he had **** in Miami and could rebuild Alabama quicker. It's not like he ran off from Miami to take a job at Bumblebutt U. He took a job at one of the most elite college programs in history.

Garrett has one playoff win in 7 seasons. Yeah, big improvement over Saban's two year NFL career.

I sit here stunned, yet utterly entertained, at the length's people will go to claim Jason Garrett is better than he actually is.

He’s better than Saban in the NFL . I don’t care how try and discredit that.

Dre11

Reaction score
The only crazy one here is the person who is trying to argue that Jason Garrett is a better head coach than Nick Saban.

If you offered up that opinion to any expert outside of Cowboys fandom land, you'd be laughed at. I might understand it if Garrett had some level of success here. But in 7 years, he has one playoff win. One. That might be more pathetic than the two year job Saban did in Miami considering the QBs Saban inherited and the fact Garrett was handed a Pro Bowl level franchise QB in Romo and did squat with him.

Did he do better than Garrett in the NFL? Simple question. Say yes and watch how crazy you look...lol

Sydla

Reaction score
He’s better than Saban in the NFL . I don’t care how try and discredit that.

It’s simple.

Jason Garrett is not a better head coach than Nick Saban. It’s embarrassing for anyone to try to argue differently.

In other words, if you had to chose one to coach the Cowboys for the next 4 years, choosing Garrett would be hilarious.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yep, because it means nothing in the NFL

It kind of does because COY doesn’t really indicate high quality long term coaching. Other winners of the AP COY are Dick Jauron, Lovie Smith, Mike Smith, Marvin Lewis.

You claiming those guys are great coaches?

cern

Reaction score
Seems we got away from zone defenses which stink. Wade phillips, greg Williams, buddy ryan didn't run zone defenses.

NotForLong

Reaction score
The only crazy one here is the person who is trying to argue that Jason Garrett is a better head coach than Nick Saban.

If you offered up that opinion to any expert outside of Cowboys fandom land, you'd be laughed at. I might understand it if Garrett had some level of success here. But in 7 years, he has one playoff win. One. That might be more pathetic than the two year job Saban did in Miami considering the QBs Saban inherited and the fact Garrett was handed a Pro Bowl level franchise QB in Romo and did squat with him.
:huh: very confusing because you would think that Cowboy fandom land would be the ones who undeniably know Garrett sucks and is a puppet.

The most ironic thing I ever saw in football was Garrett getting coach of the year while benching a franchise QB in favor of a rookie with bad footwork and terrible mechanics

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It’s simple.

Jason Garrett is not a better head coach than Nick Saban. It’s embarrassing for anyone to try to argue differently.

In other words, if you had to chose one to coach the Cowboys for the next 4 years, choosing Garrett would be hilarious.
You are certain Saban would do a better job the next 4 years than if JG remained in place?
As up and down as JG has been as a HC it doesn't seem unrealistic to have either opinion to be honest.

Sydla

Reaction score
You are certain Saban would do a better job the next 4 years than if JG remained in place?
As up and down as JG has been as a HC it doesn't seem unrealistic to have either opinion to be honest.

Absolutely. I wouldn't even have to think for a second.

Now would Saban be my first choice to replace Garrett? Of course not. But there's no question in my mind Saban is a much better football coach than Garrett and I'd rather ride with him for the next 4 years than Garrett. Garrett has had 7 years here and has accomplished very little. Why are the next 4 years going to be much different?

So I'll take my chances on a guy that has dominated college football for the last 5-7 years over the guy who has one playoff win in 7 years in the NFL.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Absolutely. I wouldn't even have to think for a second.

Now would Saban be my first choice to replace Garrett? Of course not. But there's no question in my mind Saban is a much better football coach than Garrett and I'd rather ride with him for the next 4 years than Garrett. Garrett has had 7 years here and has accomplished very little. Why are the next 4 years going to be much different?

So I'll take my chances on a guy that has dominated college football for the last 5-7 years over the guy who has one playoff win in 7 years in the NFL.
I think it's an interesting debate. Again, I'm not siding with JG, but when it comes to a successful college coach going to the NFL and being successful, it's not a real long list.
Those that bombed:
Chip Kelly
Greg Schiano
Steve Spurrier
Butch Davis
Bobby Petrino
Mike Riley
Dennis Erickson
Lane Kiffen
And of course Nick Saban

Those that did well:
Jimmy Johnson
Tom Coughlin
Jim Harbaugh

That's it! So, it's not unrealistic to assume Saban wouldn't do any better. One, he already had a shot (Which again, JG hasn't in college). And two, only a small few did well.

That being said, I could make an argument that Saban, because he's such a great college HC, could very well be on the short list. And, if he had 7 seasons with a franchise he could be great. Not unrealistic at all.
But I wouldn't necessarily bet either way because no one knows. I would probably go with the numbers and create the odds.
And I wouldn't call it embarrassing or hilarious to side with either opinion.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think it's an interesting debate. Again, I'm not siding with JG, but when it comes to a successful college coach going to the NFL and being successful, it's not a real long list.
Those that bombed:
Chip Kelly
Greg Schiano
Steve Spurrier
Butch Davis
Bobby Petrino
Mike Riley
Dennis Erickson
Lane Kiffen
And of course Nick Saban

Those that did well:
Jimmy Johnson
Tom Coughlin
Jim Harbaugh

That's it! So, it's not unrealistic to assume Saban wouldn't do any better. One, he already had a shot (Which again, JG hasn't in college). And two, only a small few did well.

That being said, I could make an argument that Saban, because he's such a great college HC, could very well be on the short list. And, if he had 7 seasons with a franchise he could be great. Not unrealistic at all.
But I wouldn't necessarily bet either way because no one knows. I would probably go with the numbers and create the odds.
And I wouldn't call it embarrassing or hilarious to side with either opinion.

You forgot to name some successful coaches who did well in college and then had success in the pros. Carroll had success at USC after bombing out in NE and then won a SB with Seattle. Switzer won a SB after being a hugely successful college coach. Granted, he had a pretty talented Dallas team, but he didn't screw it up. Bill Walsh, his first job as a head coach was at Stanford and had a good two year run before turning the 49ers into a power. Go back even further, Don Coryell had San Diego State on a run before eventually winning AFC titles with the Chargers. Dick Vermeil's first head coaching gig was at UCLA. Had a successful two year run including beating undefeated Ohio State in the 1976 Rose Bowl.

There are more people that have made the transition that people want to believe.

We might be having a different discussion if we were say talking about a Garrett who had only been on the job a couple of years and there were some signs of improvement. But we aren't. We are talking about a guy who has had 7 full years, one playoff win and heading into his 8th season, we aren't even sure he has a team still that can compete for a SB. So I'd take the guy who has dominated college football the last decade or so and isn't one of this college coaches running crazy offenses like Chip Kelly.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
You forgot to name some successful coaches who did well in college and then had success in the pros. Carroll had success at USC after bombing out in NE and then won a SB with Seattle. Switzer won a SB after being a hugely successful college coach. Granted, he had a pretty talented Dallas team, but he didn't screw it up. Bill Walsh, his first job as a head coach was at Stanford and had a good two year run before turning the 49ers into a power. Go back even further, Don Coryell had San Diego State on a run before eventually winning AFC titles with the Chargers. Dick Vermeil's first head coaching gig was at UCLA. Had a successful two year run including beating undefeated Ohio State in the 1976 Rose Bowl.

There are more people that have made the transition that people want to believe.

We might be having a different discussion if we were say talking about a Garrett who had only been on the job a couple of years and there were some signs of improvement. But we aren't. We are talking about a guy who has had 7 full years, one playoff win and heading into his 8th season, we aren't even sure he has a team still that can compete for a SB. So I'd take the guy who has dominated college football the last decade or so and isn't one of this college coaches running crazy offenses like Chip Kelly.
I left out Carroll and Switzer. Caroll bombed and did great later, separate list.
I refuse to use Switzer. He not only inherited a SB team, but the players basically coached themselves.