Nick Saban on zone defenses

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And he probably wouldn’t have. There was much support that he needed to go after the ‘64 season, but Clint responded with a contract extension (10 year if I remember right). It would be much worse in today’s social media world.

There was a bit of a difference though in that the Cowboys were starting a team from scratch at the time, so there were no immediate expectations of success.

Sydla

Reaction score
No it’s embarrassing that you think he’s a better coach than Garrett who coaches on a higher level, and had more success at the highest level. You look foolish to say otherwise. I can’t believe how anyone would say otherwise...lol

It's embarrassing that you think a guy who has coached 7 years in the NFL with one playoff win is a much better resume than a guy who simply high tailed it out of Miami when he knew he the team was screwed with no QB and the owner pulling power moves.

You make it sound like Saban was winning championships at Odessa High and Garrett was winning SBs in the NFL.

Dre11

Reaction score
It kind of does because COY doesn’t really indicate high quality long term coaching. Other winners of the AP COY are Dick Jauron, Lovie Smith, Mike Smith, Marvin Lewis.

You claiming those guys are great coaches?

I didn’t claim anyone was a great coach, what it does show is that they had some level of success at the highest level, something Saban couldn’t do in his stint on this level. It’s absolutely foolish to discredit that.

Dre11

Reaction score
It's embarrassing that you think a guy who has coached 7 years in the NFL with one playoff win is a much better resume than a guy who simply high tailed it out of Miami when he knew he the team was screwed with no QB and the owner pulling power moves.

You make it sound like Saban was winning championships at Odessa High and Garrett was winning SBs in the NFL.

You’re exactly right, Saban High tailed it out because he wasn’t up for the challenge, and yes one playoff win in the NFL is much better than a coach who retreated back to the easier side of the fence. You’re embarrassing to cowboy fans to argue that.

Sydla

Reaction score
You’re exactly right, Saban High tailed it out because he wasn’t up for the challenge, and yes one playoff win in the NFL is much better than a coach who retreated back to the easier side of the fence. You’re embarrassing to cowboy fans to argue that.

Because he found a better job. Its just that simple.

But sure, keep telling yourself that Jason Garrett gives this organization a better chance at winning than Nick Saban. LOL.

Dre11

Reaction score

But sure, keep telling yourself that Jason Garrett gives this organization a better chance at winning than Nick Saban. LOL.
No he found an easier job. He was cut out for the NF, he was cut out for the challenges and rigors of the NFL. It’s easier controlling boys who hasn’t made money yet.

Sydla

Reaction score
Was Ireland their GM then? Sounds like an Ireland move...

They made the determination after speaking with their team doctors that Culpepper, even with a bum knee, was a healthier option than Brees and his bum shoulder. They were desperate for a QB at that point.

Quite a screw up on their part.

Sydla

Reaction score
No he found an easier job. He was cut out for the NF, he was cut out for the challenges and rigors of the NFL. It’s easier controlling boys who hasn’t made money yet.

Again, you are making it out to be like Saban split the NFL to coach a girl's flag football team.

I don't think I've read anything more laughable on this board than the opinion that Jason Garrett is a better head coach than Nick Saban. That's going to be hard to top.

Dre11

Reaction score
Again, you are making it out to be like Saban split the NFL to coach a girl's flag football team.

I don't think I've read anything more laughable on this board than the opinion that Jason Garrett is a better head coach than Nick Saban. That's going to be hard to top.

No what’s laughable is you think a failed coach that tucked his tail and ran is better than a coach who had some success at the level he ran from. I don’t care where he went to coach, it’s on a lower level.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The bottom line is we don't know if he would or not. Success in the college game doesn't always translate to success in the pro game. Had Saban stuck around in the pro game longer, he may have proven to be very good, but he may have been mediocre or less. We can't know

phildadon86

Reaction score
No what’s laughable is you think a failed coach that tucked his tail and ran is better than a coach who had some success at the level he ran from. I don’t care where he went to coach, it’s on a lower level.
You realize Garrett never even coached in college right. Saban at least has success somewhere. Garrett still doesnt.

Dre11

Reaction score
You realize Garrett never even coached in college right. Saban at least has success somewhere. Garrett still doesnt.

He doesn’t have to coach college, that’s foolish, he ‘s had more success at the highest level of Football than Saban. Saban quit, because he couldn’t hack it. So your point?

Sydla

Reaction score
He doesn’t have to coach college, that’s foolish, he ‘s had more success at the highest level of Football than Saban. Saban quit, because he couldn’t hack it. So your point?

That's not what he said. He didn't say that Garrett has to coach college.

He said one coach has experienced high level success at some level. One coach hasn't experienced any great success at any level.

Which one you banking on to make you highly successful in the next 3-4 years? The guy who has had 7 in this very job and done squat or the guy who, yes, had a blah two year run in Miami but has won NCs in two different big time college programs?

Shoot, I'd take Urban Meyer over Garrett without even blinking too.

Dre11

Reaction score
That's not what he said. He didn't say that Garrett has to coach college.

He said one coach has experienced high level success at some level. One coach hasn't experienced any great success at any level.
I know,what he said and Garrett didn’t have to coach College, he coaches on a higher level and had more success than Saban on this level. It’s simple

Sydla

Reaction score
The bottom line is we don't know if he would or not. Success in the college game doesn't always translate to success in the pro game. Had Saban stuck around in the pro game longer, he may have proven to be very good, but he may have been mediocre or less. We can't know

Which one do you believe stands the better chance to make you highly successful in the next 3-4 years? The guy who has had 7 years in this very job and done squat or the guy who, yes, had a blah two year run in Miami a decade or so ago but has won NCs at two different big time college programs?

Shoot, I'd take Urban Meyer over Garrett without even blinking too.

Sydla

Reaction score
I know,what he said and Garrett didn’t have to coach College, he coaches on a higher level and had more success than Saban on this level. It’s simple

Think about what you are saying. You believe that a coach who has done pretty much zero in 7 seasons as the Cowboys coach would be a better coach for this team the next 3-4 years than a guy who has won national championships at two different major college programs, two programs that are basically NFL farm teams.

And your proof is, "well Garrett won one playoff game in 7 seasons and Saban, despite being arguably one of the 5 greatest college coaches of all time, lasted only two seasons in Miami a decade ago".

JustChip

Reaction score
There was a bit of a difference though in that the Cowboys were starting a team from scratch at the time, so there were no immediate expectations of success.

True. But even so, it didn't stop a large contingent from voicing that Landry had to go. I'm not lobbying for or against Garrett, or that he's a poor or great coach. I'm just saying that the majority of fans are emotionally unable to analyze and think critically. One of Landry's strengths is that he attempted to remove emotion from game planning and play. He knew that emotion would only carry so far; players, preparation and stability provided the best opportunity for success in every situation. I think the most emotion I ever saw from him was "no, Danny, no".