Video: Nick Wright thinks Dak is nuts not to take top 5 money

Asklesko

Reaction score
Dak has all the leverage too. He would be mad to take less than top 1 money.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
What are the numbers for top 5. I know Wilson is 35 so that's the top. Wentz is 32, I think but not sure where he falls in terms of top 5.

I said all off-season 25-28 million but then the market went up because of Wilson, Ben, Brady and Wentz getting deals. We need to sign him for as less as possible but he has done more than Wentz so he is getting at least 32, I think in the end will be around 33-34. In a year or two that won't even be top 10 salary

erod

Reaction score
I think there's genius at work here.

Stephen knows what Dak wants, so why not offer to overpay Dak, yet offer what he knows Dak won't accept?

He looks like he's genuinely trying, but might get the prove-it year he really wants anyway.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Well, if he turns down top 5 money, he better hope Moore really is a genius.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree . Dak is lucky to get a top5 offer.
He is great, but not near the top 10 .
& amari is not top10 either .

It even seems stunning to make those offers .

Remember that salary is not a position ranking. The only way it could be is if every player at the same position negotiated a new contract in the same year under the same market conditions, and even then exactly how they rank and how much gap should be between each would be open to some interpretation. That's not realistic though, so because players contracts come up at different times and they negotiate under different market conditions, there will always be a disparity between salary and position rank.

Last edited:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Top 5 is excellent for all three. As good as Zeke is, don’t make him #1 either.
Top 5 in money doesn’t mean you are a top 5 player. Top 5 now will more than likely be top 10 by next offseason and top 15 halfway through the contract. Philly overpaid Wentz, but in two years, that contract will be middle of the road.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I'm Dak, I just keep milking and milking and then sign the best deal I can get in front of me in the week leading into the first game. Dragging things out only works in his favor. Then get the deal don prior to the games and lock in the guaranteed money.

Zeke, too, will probably take the best offer he can get and get into camp a week or two before the start of the season. Unless we just won't come up enough for a RB at all and it becomes an actual impasse. But I don't really see that happening.

Amari's the one who is going to wait. At least until Julio signs. Why wouldn't he? He's going to have a big year for his career this season, regardless. He just needs to show up and play and wait to see what other big WR contracts come down. Each big one helps him since he's not in Julio/Thomas' class. Big production makes his case for him.

CWR

Reaction score
I mean the whole reason you pay a player early is to keep them off the open market.

That said, how many teams would pay Dak 35mpy?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I am so glad the Cowboys are being smart. I love the fact they are talking or letting it out they could let dak play this year out and Franchise him if need be. And even though I think we have a real shot at a SB THIS year if we have all the team available, I am for Jerry not bowing down and letting Zeke dictate terms when he still has 2 years left. The rules of the CBA are what they are, and the TEAM has the leverage. The only leverage the players have, is Jerry's desire to win a SB. Thats it.