Video: Nick Wright thinks Dak is nuts not to take top 5 money

erod

Reaction score
If I'm Dak, I just keep milking and milking and then sign the best deal I can get in front of me in the week leading into the first game. Dragging things out only works in his favor. Then get the deal don prior to the games and lock in the guaranteed money.

Zeke, too, will probably take the best offer he can get and get into camp a week or two before the start of the season. Unless we just won't come up enough for a RB at all and it becomes an actual impasse. But I don't really see that happening.

Amari's the one who is going to wait. At least until Julio signs. Why wouldn't he? He's going to have a big year for his career this season, regardless. He just needs to show up and play and wait to see what other big WR contracts come down. Each big one helps him since he's not in Julio/Thomas' class. Big production makes his case for him.
Amari is making $14 million this year anyway, so he's in no hurry at all.

CWR

Reaction score
is there anyone here that reallly thinks if Dak was a FREE AGENT that any team would pay him 30 million? You think the Dolphins would give Dak a 4 year deal worth 120 million with 70 million guaranteed????

There's only a handful of teams that dont have a qb. Many of the teams that dont have a franchise qb have already spent significant draft capital on one and are in the process of developing that guy.

So out of that remaining handful would any of those teams pay Dak top 5 money?

Its a valid question. If Dak isn't willing to sign a mutually beneficial deal then make him play it out. We've seen good Dak and bad Dak. Whichever Dak shows up this season will be the one that gets paid.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only one of these guys who deserve top 5 money is Zeke b/c he is actually top 5 at his position if not the best. Amari can vault into the top 5 if he can continue his 2018 season. Dak is nowhere in the ballpark of top 5. Not sure what his agent is thinking.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
is there anyone here that reallly thinks if Dak was a FREE AGENT that any team would pay him 30 million? You think the Dolphins would give Dak a 4 year deal worth 120 million with 70 million guaranteed????

Bingo. We are bidding against ourselves. Nobody is paying Dak top 5 money. Very few around the league view him as an elite QB with the kind of arm talent that merits that kind of investment.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I would gladly let Dak go test the market.

What is the option if he gets his deal on the market?

First day of free agency, Bengals cut Andy Dalton, offer Dak 40 million a year. What is your move then? Cooper Rush and throw the Super Bowl window in the toilet? Do you think Demarcus knew you'd do that to the prime of his career before he signed? Will Amari be happy being a 700 yard/yr WR for the foreseeable future because the Jones's tried to get cheap with Dak and it backfired?

There are ALWAYS worse scenarios than the one currently presented.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don’t. But I’m the guy who didn’t think anyone would offer Cousins a guaranteed 28 million dollar a year contract. It just depends how desperate a team is.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Bingo. We are bidding against ourselves. Nobody is paying Dak top 5 money. Very few around the league view him as an elite QB with the kind of arm talent that merits that kind of investment.

If you have a DRew Brees, Rodgers type guy..... you kind of have the feeling that you have a shot against anyone, just because of their greatness. NOBODY thinks that is the case with Dak. He walked into the perfect storm. A rookie RB that was the BEST on day one. A top 3 Oline for sure. I agree 100%, we are beidding against ourselves.... BUT, I dont want to criticize the Jones' family, because it appears they are playing this 100% correctly. They have made a "Fair," offer to Dak. And they are well aware and willing to play the season out and Franchise Tag his arse if need be if he doesnt want to sign this "Fair," offer. This is what I have wanted for MONTHS. Id be willing to let this play out, and if Dak shows he is the top guy we want, then we will pay him, and pay him very well. But if we felt we had a top 5 qb, would anyone be butt hurt if he was paid? BUt.... and this is the kicker, if Dak just reverts back to year 2, he is gonna get paid like a 15-20 guy, and I am willing to take that shot...... even though I have no say...lol

Reid1boys

Reaction score

First day of free agency, Bengals cut Andy Dalton, offer Dak 40 million a year. What is your move then? Cooper Rush and throw the Super Bowl window in the toilet? Do you think Demarcus knew you'd do that to the prime of his career before he signed? Will Amari be happy being a 700 yard/yr WR for the foreseeable future because the Jones's tried to get cheap with Dak and it backfired?

Thats the point. I damn sure dont, and the Jones family damn sure doesnt think anyone is going to open the vault to gush over Dak. You think the Bengals would rush to get Dak? What games have I missed in the past 3 years?

CWR

Reaction score

I have trouble believing anyone will pay Dak like that, but yeah it only takes ONE.

Theres no rush now to pay him. Let him show the team what he's capable of without Zeke, and without a turnstile like Chaz Green. No excuses.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Draft and sign Dalton for cheap because he’ll give Dak like production.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

Andy Dalton. lol

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Exactly what we need. A QB who chokes in the playoffs.

That’ll get us over the divisional round hump.

I mentioned draft as well.

The move is to let Dak play this season and if he still doesn’t sniff 30 TD passes then you let him test the market and walk if someone is stupid enough to pay him.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chris Carter is closest to right on this one.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I mentioned draft as well.

The move is to let Dak play this season and if he still doesn’t sniff 30 TD passes then you let him test the market and walk if someone is stupid enough to pay him.

Signing Dalton is a pointless endeavor though. That’s the point. He is garbage in the playoffs. You’ll go nowhere with him.

Either way it’s a fruitless discussion. Dak is going to come down on his demands and sign. He’s just angling to get as much as possible before he signs on the dotted line.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
If you have a DRew Brees, Rodgers type guy..... you kind of have the feeling that you have a shot against anyone, just because of their greatness. NOBODY thinks that is the case with Dak. He walked into the perfect storm. A rookie RB that was the BEST on day one. A top 3 Oline for sure. I agree 100%, we are beidding against ourselves.... BUT, I dont want to criticize the Jones' family, because it appears they are playing this 100% correctly. They have made a "Fair," offer to Dak. And they are well aware and willing to play the season out and Franchise Tag his arse if need be if he doesnt want to sign this "Fair," offer. This is what I have wanted for MONTHS. Id be willing to let this play out, and if Dak shows he is the top guy we want, then we will pay him, and pay him very well. But if we felt we had a top 5 qb, would anyone be butt hurt if he was paid? BUt.... and this is the kicker, if Dak just reverts back to year 2, he is gonna get paid like a 15-20 guy, and I am willing to take that shot...... even though I have no say...lol

Even Brees wasn't that type QB at the start of his career, the Chargers drafted Eli then swapped Eli for Rivers, because they didn't believe Brees would turn out as good as he became. Brees was pretty average his first few years in the league. Probably a depressing "what if" for Chargers fans would have been...... what if they decided to let Brees develop and instead of drafting Eli and swapping Eli for Rivers, they could have drafted Larry Fitzgerald instead. That would have given them all in their primes Brees, Tomlinson, Gates and Fitzgerald! That offense could have re-written record books.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Even Brees wasn't that type QB at the start of his career, the Chargers drafted Eli then swapped Eli for Rivers, because they didn't believe Brees would turn out as good as he became. Brees was pretty average his first few years in the league. Probably a depressing "what if" for Chargers fans would have been...... what if they decided to let Brees develop and instead of drafting Eli and swapping Eli for Rivers, they could have drafted Larry Fitzgerald instead. That would have given them all in their primes Brees, Tomlinson, Gates and Fitzgerald! That offense could have re-written record books.

You mean QB’s can keep improving after 3 seasons?