NNL - Romo Most Underrated QB

ufcrules1

Reaction score
The only other QB who have done it more times than Romo are Hall of Famers.

It can't be considered a freak occurrence, since it happens every year.

I don't think the debate is over if he is a good QB that puts up good stats. I think the debate is, how does he play in "win or go home" games. Does he show up and play outstanding when you need him most? Can you count on him? Last year when the team needed him most he floundered the game away and everyone just knew he was going to do it. The pressure was just too high, and I'm not talking about the pressure from the defense.

NJ22

Reaction score
I like how the term "win or go home" was made up just for Romo! lol When he clinched the playoffs, in 06 was that not big? When he clinched the 1 seed in the NFC in 07 was that not big? When he beat Philly 2 weeks in a row in 09 were they not big? It seems only his loses were big games for some reason.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
He needs a better D more than a running game. The two biggest factors are well you pass the ball and how well you defend the pass. We do one extremely well and one extremely bad. As soon as the extremely bad get to at least average, we will win more games, whether we run the ball more or not.

Yep, Dallas needs better Defensive play. No doubt.. Actually, they have needed both for years..

Zordon

Reaction score
What Tony has done within a vacuum of talent is nothing short of amazing.

Given the same scenario, Aikman would have had a Steve Pelluer career.

SMH some of you guys have really jumped off the deep end with this Romo lovefest. It's to the point that its the norm for you guys to belittle our legends...you know the ones that actually brought super bowl trophies to Dallas. I never see this anywhere but on CZ.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
SMH some of you guys have really jumped off the deep end with this Romo lovefest. It's to the point that its the norm for you guys to belittle our legends...you know the ones that actually brought super bowl trophies to Dallas. I never see this anywhere but on CZ.

I stand up for Romo all the time because I think he gets unfairly criticized on the forum by some, but I definitely agree with you here. No reason to rag on a former great player just to try and elevate another. Aikman was great and was what was needed for that team at that time. I'd personally always take Aikman over Romo if both were in their primes.

erod

Reaction score
Can you imagine Troy running for his life here these past few years?

dstovall5

Reaction score

And some of you have jumped off the deep end with the Romo hate. It goes both ways you see, there may be some here that have a "lovefest" for the dude, but there's also people here who NEVER give the guy props even though he's balling out as a top 5 QB this year.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I don't think the debate is over if he is a good QB that puts up good stats. I think the debate is, how does he play in "win or go home" games. Does he show up and play outstanding when you need him most? Can you count on him? Last year when the team needed him most he floundered the game away and everyone just knew he was going to do it. The pressure was just too high, and I'm not talking about the pressure from the defense.
You're basing an opinion on anecdotal evidence. If there is any real, intelligent "debate" in this regard, please show me where it is. I don't subscribe to the "win-or-go-home" media creation, its accompanying armchair psychiatry, or anything else based on pure speculation, for that matter. You say "the pressure was just too high," and yet you're talking about one of the highest-rated 4th-quarter QB in the history of the league in close games.

Can you count on him? You can count on a top 10 season from him every time he plays. Does he show up when you need him most? Look at how he's played in the losses the last three years:

Last 3 seasons (losses only)

Romo 20 losses 92.5
Rogers 9 losses 92.5
PManning 10 losses 86.8
Brees 14 losses 81.5
Roethlisberger 16 losses 81.3
Stafford 21 losses 81.3
Ryan 15 losses 81.1
Griffin 11 losses 79.0
Rivers 21 losses 78.9
Brady 9 losses 76.8
Wilson 6 losses 75.1
EManning 20 losses 73.4
Flacco 15 losses 71.5

dstovall5

Reaction score
You're basing an opinion on anecdotal evidence. If there is any real, intelligent "debate" in this regard, please show me where it is. I don't subscribe to the "win-or-go-home" media creation, its accompanying armchair psychiatry, or anything else based on pure speculation, for that matter. You say "the pressure was just too high," and yet you're talking about one of the highest-rated 4th-quarter QB in the history of the league in close games.

Can you count on him? You can count on a top 10 season from him every time he plays. Does he show up when you need him most? Look at how he's played in the losses the last three years:
Last 3 seasons (losses only)
Romo 20 losses 92.5
Rogers 9 losses 92.5
PManning 10 losses 86.8
Brees 14 losses 81.5
Roethlisberger 16 losses 81.3
Stafford 21 losses 81.3
Ryan 15 losses 81.1
Griffin 11 losses 79.0
Rivers 21 losses 78.9
Brady 9 losses 76.8
Wilson 6 losses 75.1
EManning 20 losses 73.4
Flacco 15 losses 71.5

Romo shows up when it counts, but it does no good because the team is no where to be found. I think half the time his defense misses the plane, or at least that's the way it seems. :D

TrailBlazer

Reaction score

I've never seen it before either. It's like ppl don't understand that qb's are graded, ranked, and even remembered by their PLAYOFF performances. But hey, if the season was shorter and the Super Bowl was played in November, romo would have multiple rings.

btcutter

Reaction score
I like how the term "win or go home" was made up just for Romo! lol When he clinched the playoffs, in 06 was that not big? When he clinched the 1 seed in the NFC in 07 was that not big? When he beat Philly 2 weeks in a row in 09 were they not big? It seems only his loses were big games for some reason.

This is so true.
In reality the only way Romo can ever quiet the critics is by winning the SB. By definition unless you win it all then you would have lost the last game (which would be the win/go home game).

Saying Romo is better than Aikman is going a bit far. They played in different era where passing game isn't given the amount of freedom it has now. Unfortunately for Romo, unless he has a few rings he can't be compared to Aikman.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
It's on soon, Numbers Never Lie on ESPN2. One of their drawing segments specifically about Romo.

People will always say that he doesn't have a Super Bowl ring. That whole SB thing is a bunch of crap. By that standard, Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer are better quarterbacks than Jim Kelly and Dan Marino... and Eli is better than Peyton. Um, no.

Coy

Reaction score
I love Romo, the snap at Seattle unfortunately started this lie about him being a choker and an average QB, he is an elite QB, top 6 or 7 IMO. I am also a realist, I am not saying, he is Brady, Manning, Rodgers or Brees but he is one of the top guys in the next group, he has had his share of bad moments in “Big” Games but he has had much more great games than most but unfortunately that never seems to get mentioned. The thing that makes it more frustrating is that he will never be able to change his rep unless he wins a SB and that is a very difficult task because as most people don´t seem to know, this is a team sport, this is not Tennis or Golf or even Basketball where you are the only one on the court or one of 5 on it, you have 53 guys who really need to contribute in order to achieve that goal. Anyway, outside of the real important things in life there are not many things I´d rather live thorough than to watch Romo hold the Lombardi Trophy in front of the whole world to see, well that and seeing most of my friend´s faces while I enjoy the moment haha.

Zordon

Reaction score
Can you imagine Troy running for his life here these past few years?

no i can't, you know why? b/c this team (specifically this oline) wouldn't be built like this if aikman was the qb.

jerry is on record saying that romo and his escapibility allows the team to focus less resources on the oline.

dstovall5

Reaction score
no i can't, you know why? b/c this team (specifically this oline) wouldn't be built like this if aikman was the qb.

jerry is on record saying that romo and his escapibility allows the team to focus less resources on the oline.

All those extra resources went to bad contracts, smh. :(

ufcrules1

Reaction score
You say "the pressure was just too high," and yet you're talking about one of the highest-rated 4th-quarter QB in the history of the league in close games.

Just because he has a high rating in the 4th quarter in games doesn't mean he is great under pressure. Pressure doesn't just come in the 4th quarter. He could play like crap for 3 quarters and then show up big in the 4th quarter with 2 touchdowns and lots of yards and then throw an untimely interception at the end that loses the game for us. He had huge stats last year vs the Commanders and Giants in the 4th quarter but he played pretty bad for most of the game before that. He started tearing it up once those teams went into prevent mode. Again, this is where people don't fully understand that stats alone doesn't account for untimely mistakes at crucial moments of games. It's been hashed out here a million times now.

Heck, he literally threw away the game last season vs the Commanders and there were plenty of fans that just knew he was going to choke in that game. Why? Because the division and playoffs were on the line. He played terrific football in the two games leading up to the Washington game but then absolutely wilted away against the Commanders, who had a 28th ranked passing defense! Looked like he had zero confidence in himself out there.

I can tell you that a large portion of the fan base has zero confidence in Romo to play lights out football in a win and you're in game or through 3 consecutive playoff games and a super bowl. As much as you love Tony, I bet even you have doubts he can do it. You won't admit it here, but deep down I would bet you do. Deep down in those tight games with everything on the line, you just know that stupid mistake is coming.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
People will always say that he doesn't have a Super Bowl ring. That whole SB thing is a bunch of crap. By that standard, Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer are better quarterbacks than Jim Kelly and Dan Marino... and Eli is better than Peyton. Um, no.

Agreed. At this point right now, I would settle for him playing great football in a win and you win the division game and playing well in the playoffs.

NJ22

Reaction score
This is so true.
In reality the only way Romo can ever quiet the critics is by winning the SB. By definition unless you win it all then you would have lost the last game (which would be the win/go home game).

Saying Romo is better than Aikman is going a bit far. They played in different era where passing game isn't given the amount of freedom it has now. Unfortunately for Romo, unless he has a few rings he can't be compared to Aikman.

I would never say he is better than Troy.

dropdeadfred5

Reaction score
Just because he has a high rating in the 4th quarter in games doesn't mean he is great under pressure. Pressure doesn't just come in the 4th quarter. He could play like crap for 3 quarters and then show up big in the 4th quarter with 2 touchdowns and lots of yards and then throw an untimely interception at the end that loses the game for us. He had huge stats last year vs the Commanders and Giants in the 4th quarter but he played pretty bad for most of the game before that. He started tearing it up once those teams went into prevent mode. Again, this is where people don't fully understand that stats alone doesn't account for untimely mistakes at crucial moments of games. It's been hashed out here a million times now.

Heck, he literally threw away the game last season vs the Commanders and there were plenty of fans that just knew he was going to choke in that game. Why? Because the division and playoffs were on the line. He played terrific football in the two games leading up to the Washington game but then absolutely wilted away against the Commanders, who had a 28th ranked passing defense! Looked like he had zero confidence in himself out there.

I can tell you that a large portion of the fan base has zero confidence in Romo to play lights out football in a win and you're in game or through 3 consecutive playoff games and a super bowl. As much as you love Tony, I bet even you have doubts he can do it. You won't admit it here, but deep down I would bet you do. Deep down in those tight games with everything on the line, you just know that stupid mistake is coming.

love how you throw out the 4th quarter stats. But then that is you. Proud #1 Romo hater in all of the Zone.