NNL - Romo Most Underrated QB

ufcrules1

Reaction score
And how have these "elimination games" worked out for Dalton?

Not well but he has a much shorter career too. The point is he has lead his team to the post season every year he has been there so far and it is looking like it is going to happen again.

Ring Leader

Reaction score
Not well but he has a much shorter career too. The point is he has lead his team to the post season every year he has been there so far and it is looking like it is going to happen again.

Amazing isn't it - what a solid team can do for a quarterback's perception, elimination games or not.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Check back in a couple of years for what? To see if Romo has post season success without choking? Also, Dalton isn't so bad. He has led that team to the playoffs every year since he has been there.

I guess one could say Kapernick choked in the Super Bowl. His numbers were far below his regular season numbers. Wilson won one game. Dalton isn't in Romos class.
So you wanted to draft Colin and Wilson. Very insightful. Not many knew they'd be good.
Also weren't they on far superior defensive teams? I think so. I think that makes a difference.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Just because he has a high rating in the 4th quarter in games doesn't mean he is great under pressure. Pressure doesn't just come in the 4th quarter. He could play like crap for 3 quarters and then show up big in the 4th quarter with 2 touchdowns and lots of yards and then throw an untimely interception at the end that loses the game for us. He had huge stats last year vs the Commanders and Giants in the 4th quarter but he played pretty bad for most of the game before that. He started tearing it up once those teams went into prevent mode. Again, this is where people don't fully understand that stats alone doesn't account for untimely mistakes at crucial moments of games. It's been hashed out here a million times now.

Heck, he literally threw away the game last season vs the Commanders and there were plenty of fans that just knew he was going to choke in that game. Why? Because the division and playoffs were on the line. He played terrific football in the two games leading up to the Washington game but then absolutely wilted away against the Commanders, who had a 28th ranked passing defense! Looked like he had zero confidence in himself out there.

I can tell you that a large portion of the fan base has zero confidence in Romo to play lights out football in a win and you're in game or through 3 consecutive playoff games and a super bowl. As much as you love Tony, I bet even you have doubts he can do it. You won't admit it here, but deep down I would bet you do. Deep down in those tight games with everything on the line, you just know that stupid mistake is coming.
What a large portion of a particular group of people believe has no bearing on whether or not they're right. A lot of popular opinion is uninformed or unreasoned, and often both. You're saying a lot of things that don't make sense.

You actually said that being great in close games in the 4th quarter isn't being great under pressure. Simply makes no sense. In an attempt to prove your point, all you really did was show that it isn't the only way to be great under pressure. That there are other definitions of pressure. Then you pointed to a couple of games to try to show how Romo has come up short in situations that might fit one of those definitions. Okay. I suppose I could come up with a couple more that show just the opposite and we could go back and forth meaninglessly.

You use anecdotal evidence of Romo playing poorly through 3 quarters in some games, and then playing well at the end. Okay. You're talking about a guy with a career 93.4 rating through 3 quarters. That's not a couple of games I just decided to mention, it's his entire career.

I've watched Brady and Roethlisberger go 6-2 in the postseason when they have ratings in the 60's or lower. Despite our often simplistic notions, it wasn't their magic that won those six games. Those are six games that even you must believe Romo would have won.

dstovall5

Reaction score
What a large portion of a particular group of people believe has no bearing on whether or not they're right. A lot of popular opinion is uninformed or unreasoned, and often both. You're saying a lot of things that don't make sense.

You actually said that being great in close games in the 4th quarter isn't being great under pressure. Simply makes no sense. In an attempt to prove your point, all you really did was show that it isn't the only way to be great under pressure. That there are other definitions of pressure. Then you pointed to a couple of games to try to show how Romo has come up short in situations that might fit one of those definitions. Okay. I suppose I could come up with a couple more that show just the opposite and we could go back and forth meaninglessly.

You use anecdotal evidence of Romo playing poorly through 3 quarters in some games, and then playing well at the end. Okay. You're talking about a guy with a career 93.4 rating through 3 quarters. That's not a couple of games I just decided to mention, it's his entire career.
I've watched Brady and Roethlisberger go 6-2 in the postseason when they have ratings in the 60's or lower. Despite our often simplistic notions, it wasn't their magic that won those six games. Those are six games that even you must believe Romo would have won.

I still don't understand how people can't comprehend it takes a TEAM to win games, just look at New England this year. Their QB play has been atrocious for the most part of this year (not all on Brady), yet they still have a 7-2 record in the NFL. Geez, I wonder why. I wonder if their top 10 defense/running game has anything to do with it, not to mention they have one of the best coaches in the league.

We're starting to see what these so called "Champion QBs" or even "elite QBs" are doing with a supporting cast equivalent to Romo's. Joe Flacco? Terrible. Eli Manning? Terrible. Ben Roethlisberger? Meh. It's funny that once their supporting cast went away, so did their success. It just makes what Romo has done that more impressive.

Also, I remember people would always say if we had Flacco/Ben/Eli (a supposedly better QB) then we would have FAR more success, boy did that theory get blown out of the water this year.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The posters that don't know the word TEAM, is probably because they have not played on a team. Maybe tennis or golf? But, I doubt if they have ever been in a locker room.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Amazing isn't it - what a solid team can do for a quarterback's perception, elimination games or not.

That solid team didn't do jack before Dalton arrived did it? All the sudden Dalton shows up and he leads them to the post season. Does he play a big role in leading that team? You bet he does.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
I guess one could say Kapernick choked in the Super Bowl. His numbers were far below his regular season numbers. Wilson won one game. Dalton isn't in Romos class.
So you wanted to draft Colin and Wilson. Very insightful. Not many knew they'd be good.
Also weren't they on far superior defensive teams? I think so. I think that makes a difference.

Yeah, one could say Kap choked in the super bowl but that person would look like a ****** because Kap didn't choke. He was one throw away from winning the super bowl in his first year as a starting QB. I would say that was rather impressive.

Dalton is certainly on Romo's level. You may have put Romo on a higher pedestal but that doesn't mean Dalton isn't right there with him. I don't think our team would do any worse with Dalton as the starting QB.

btcutter

Reaction score
Didn't Romo beat Dalton last year? I mean Cowboys beat Bengles in Cinn? Oh, Romo brought the Boys back from 9 points down in 4th Q to win the game by 1. 20 to 19 Romo (I meant Cowboys).

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I don't think our team would do any worse with Dalton as the starting QB.
Oh, it would do worse.

The Bengals win with defense, period. In Dalton's three years, Cincy's offense has ranked 20th, 14th, and 15th in points per drive. Their defense has ranked 9th, 6th, and 5th. Average offense, playoff defense. Over those same three years, Dallas' offense has ranked 8th, 10th, and 10th, while the defense has ranked 19th, 26th, and 17th.

You take a guy with a career passer rating 10 points lower than Romo's, and put him on a team whose defense is nowhere near the caliber of the Bengals' defense, that only adds up to more losses.

KB1122

Reaction score
Even if Romo has been in the top 10 for all of his years, he's never been higher than 4th, I believe. He's only finished the season over 100 one time. He's the definition of good, not great.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Even if Romo has been in the top 10 for all of his years, he's never been higher than 4th, I believe. He's only finished the season over 100 one time. He's the definition of good, not great.
He's on his way to 7 consecutive top 10 seasons. These are the only QB who have done that.

13 Montana (1980-90, 93-94)
13 Manning (1999-2010, 2012)
11 Brady (2001-07, 09-12)
8 Dawson (1964-68, 70-72)
8 Fouts (1978-85)
8 Young (1991-98)
7 Graham (1949-55)
7 Griese (1970-71, 73-74, 76-78)

If Romo makes this list, he's either "great" or someone will have to invent a new category, because he's close to doing something that no other "good" QB has ever done.

dupree89

Reaction score
I cant take the QB Ratings seriously because I am not prepared to give in and say the following:

Daunte Culpepper is better than Dan Marino and Brett Favre.
Neil O'Donnell is better than Troy Aikman.
David Garrard is better than Joe Flacco.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
What Tony has done within a vacuum of talent is nothing short of amazing.

Given the same scenario, Aikman would have had a Steve Pelluer career.
I hate to agree with you in that respect because Troy is my favorite player but you are totally correct. Aikman would've blew up with this mess put in front of Tony on a regular basis. Aikman had the wits and arm, but not the demeanor to deal with the lazy and casual attitude brought forth either through effort or coaching/culture. Not saying everyone on the O is lazy, numbers don't lie. Execution at critical times, and awareness seems to be consistently lacking in understanding the importance of certain drives and the momentum of the games. How many times has this O blown opportunities to simply convert a simple 3rd and 1, or gone incomplete at the opponents 40 when a 5 yard pass would pretty much guarantee 3 points. Little stuff like that would've had Aikman showing utter disgust (Rivers like) with this team's current culture.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I cant take the QB Ratings seriously because I am not prepared to give in and say the following:

Daunte Culpepper is better than Dan Marino and Brett Favre.
Neil O'Donnell is better than Troy Aikman.
David Garrard is better than Joe Flacco.
That's why you look at the rankings and not the raw ratings.

Top 10's
Marino 12 -- Culpepper 3
Aikman 6 -- O'Donnell 2

dupree89

Reaction score
That's why you look at the rankings and not the raw ratings.

Top 10's
Marino 12 -- Culpepper 3
Aikman 6 -- O'Donnell 2

explain this to me again. I am not always too bright. Tell me more and do you have a link. I seriously want to learn what you are saying.

dupree89

Reaction score
Even if Dallas beat Wash and Romo led them down for the win, it would have been "so what, it was a regular season game". Next up is a first round win, so what, it wasn't the second round, so on and so forth. He will not get his due unless he gets a ring. Even then, it might be because Dallas got lucky with a helmet catch or we somehow developed a run game. There will always be an excuse for the haters, Tony might need two friggin rings, IDK.

I agree with how you summed it up and its not fair...but thats how QBs are judged. Its not just Dallas fans; as you know, all over the league Super Bowl rings always come into play when discussing QBs. Again, it isnt fair necessarily but it wont change IMO. Elway and Peyton took heat for a looong time. They finally get a ring and the negative talk ceases. Can you begin to imagine how people would talk about Marino today if he won a ring? But because he didnt, through no real fault of his, he usually isnt ranked with Brady and Montana.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
explain this to me again. I am not always too bright. Tell me more and do you have a link. I seriously want to learn what you are saying.
The ratings are skewed by era. Staubach ranks 33rd in career passer rating, while Chad Pennington ranks 13th. But Staubach was the highest-rated passer of all time when he retired. He just played in an era of low passer ratings.

The rankings tell you how well a QB performed compared to the other players of his era. Staubach led the league in passer rating four times.

So this stat is meaningless:
Career Passer Rating
Pennington 90.1
Staubach 83.4

And this one is meaningful:
Seasons Ranked Among Top 10 in Passer Rating
Staubach 7
Pennington 2