No African-American Coaches Hired Yet

sportsman

Reaction score
Herm Edwards who actually just switched teams does not count.

With coaches that have little coaching experience it is hard to believe that not one African-American coach did not or will not be offered a head coaching job.

Not much has changed.

neosapien23

Reaction score
What are you talking about? Lovie Smith, Tony Dungy, and maybe Tim Lewis. The NFL has gotten much better at hiring minorities.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
So what? If strict merit rules on the field, then the same should apply to the sidelines or front office.

sportsman

Reaction score
2 of 3 guys you mentioned are already current HC. There were at least 10 openings this offseason. Zero African-American coaches hired as of yet.

There are 32 teams in this league and all you can mentioned is 2 coaches who already are HC. Tim Lewis hasn't been hired, so we can't count him.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
African Americans make up 12.1% of the American population

Of the 27 head coaching jobs currently filled 6 are filled by African Americans

6 of 27 is 22.2%

So actually it is working just great

neosapien23

Reaction score
I don't think it has anything to do with race. The best canidates are hired.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
sportsman said:
2 of 3 guys you mentioned are already current HC. There were at least 10 openings this offseason. Zero African-American coaches hired as of yet.

There are 32 teams in this league and all you can mentioned is 2 coaches who already are HC. Tim Lewis hasn't been hired, so we can't count him.

Lovie Smith, Marvin Lewis, Tony Dungy, Herman Edwards, Dennis Green, Romeo Crenell.

I agree that there is probably racial bias in the hiring of coaches, but it also all depends on how you look at it.

If you want to look at it in terms of the overal population, where according to the US Cencus Beaurau, the African American population is 13%, the NFL has an African American Head coaching percentage of 18.75%.

Compared to the US population, African American coaches are well represented in the NFL, however if you reference the fact that ~65% of the NFL's players are African American, one might infer that there is some bias in the hiring of coaches.

I do think that it is a bit emberassing that no African American, or other minority candidates for that matter, are being mentioned for the vacancies....however, I do feel that the hiring of coaches should involve looking at who is the most qualified, not the color of their skin.

You should be a candidate for a vacancy if you are qualified, not because the league forces a team to interview a certain number of minortie candidates.

And by the way, I think that African American coaches have more than proven that they are just as qualified to coach as anyone else, as this list of current NFL coaches clearly proves.

It does strike me as a bit odd that not 1 person of minority status has been seriously considered for these vacancies.

sportsman

Reaction score
I new this topic would draw attention.

The 12.1 is something I have to take your word on. On your logic the NFL as a hold league including the players should have a makup of African-Americans of 12.1%.

As MLK would have it we all can now and or able to have freedom to express our opinions.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
sportsman said:
Herm Edwards who actually just switched teams does not count.

With coaches that have little coaching experience it is hard to believe that not one African-American coach did not or will not be offered a head coaching job.

Not much has changed.
You and the NFL need to give it a rest.

Any Japanese, American Indian, Dominican, Chinese, venezuelan, etc. coaches hired?

Nevermind purple, green or blue, Herm is an inept gameday coach and yet he was still hired. LOL.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
sportsman said:

The 12.1 is something I have to take your word on. On your logic the NFL as a hold league including the players should have a makup of African-Americans of 12.1%.

As MLK would have it we all can now and or able to have freedom to express our opinions.

No no. I was just making the argument that that is 1 way to look at it.

Notice how I say that there is something odd about having a league that is 65% African American but has such a low proportion of head coaches who are African American. I was just comparing the NFL to the USA, and then comparing the NFL to itself.

Dont even get started on minority owners...that would get into a whole other debate about the real make up and attitude of this country.

I hope you didnt take what I wrote and interpreted it as racist..I just presented you all with 2 logical ways of looking at make up of the NFL.

I for one also find it odd that relatively, so few HCs are African American...and that so few are considreded for head coaching vacancies....especially with the success that ones already in the league have had.

No one questions the knowledge of guys like Crenell, Smith, and Lewis, just to name a few...

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
sportsman said:

Now where did you get that the NFL as a "hold" league should be 12.1 %?

Compared to the Arican American population as realated to coaching jobs in existence the NFL is very good at hiring minoritys

What % of the league players are African American and is it racist that there is not a more comparative number of whites to African Americans players in the NFL?

Should there be a Andy Rooney Rule?

CowboysFan02

Degree or Bust
Reaction score
What about Hispanics, Asians, and those of mixed races?

Skin color should not matter one iota in such decisions. It should be based entirely on merit, experience, knowledge and how said candidate fits into the situation of the job opening.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
I will say that the word racist gets thrown around way to liberally these days.

I really don't see what is going on in the NFL as racism. At least not real racism. My uncle is African American, you should ask his mother about real racism, because growing up in the South in the 1950's, that was real racism.

It goes for players like it goes for coaches: The best man gets the job.

I gotta agree with Big D Fan, if there's a big fuss about African American coaches, then why wouldn't people cry about the lack of Caucasian players in the league. Though I will say, it is alot easier to evaluate a players perfomance than a coaches.

Is there some bias in the hiring of coaches in the NFL, I dont know, it's quite possible. I can definately see how some folks would be opposed to the idea of giving authority to an African American (yes this type of thinking still exists even today).

To restate what I have been saying, if you are a well qualified coach, you will get a chance to coach. No one can argue that this country has made strides towards equality, and it goes for the NFL as well. Just look at the increase of African American QB's AND Coaches in the NFL. Again, I believe the best man should get the job...

TEK2000

Reaction score
I say just get rid of the "players to coaches ratio" discussion... the best players don't always make the best coaches.

Lou Holtz never played football in his life (I believe)

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
CowboysFan02 said:
What about Hispanics, Asians, and those of mixed races?

Skin color should not matter one iota in such decisions. It should be based entirely on merit, experience, knowledge and how said candidate fits into the situation of the job opening.

:hammer:

NYCowboy22

Reaction score
This thread is ridiculous, stop trying to turn everything into racism. Every team wants to win and the best candidates were and will be hired.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
This thread is funny....all the polar extremes represented in one thread....

- Mike G.

CowboysFan02

Degree or Bust
Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:
I will say that the word racist gets thrown around way to liberally these days.

I really don't see what is going on in the NFL as racism. At least not real racism. My uncle is African American, you should ask his mother about real racism, because growing up in the South in the 1950's, that was real racism.

It goes for players like it goes for coaches: The best man gets the job.

I gotta agree with Big D Fan, if there's a big fuss about African American coaches, then why wouldn't people cry about the lack of Caucasian players in the league. Though I will say, it is alot easier to evaluate a players perfomance than a coaches.

Is there some bias in the hiring of coaches in the NFL, I dont know, it's quite possible. I can definately see how some folks would be opposed to the idea of giving authority to an African American (yes this type of thinking still exists even today).

To restate what I have been saying, if you are a well qualified coach, you will get a chance to coach. No one can argue that this country has made strides towards equality, and it goes for the NFL as well. Just look at the increase of African American QB's AND Coaches in the NFL. Again, I believe the best man should get the job...

:hammer: Agreed Billy, and all the over liberal use of the word racism, is actually detracting from the true meaning of the word and it's horrid nature. While as you said none of us can say with any certainty that no racism exists in the hiring practices of the NFL FO's.

But to bring it up at a time such as this, where such claims are unfounded, is an attempt to stir the pot(intentional or un intentionally). It just goes to show how much further this country must still go when such claims are brought to the front with such frequency.

If we are to continue making strides to an America where everything is TRULY un-racist, and it is beyond reproach. We must start to place some trust in those who have begun to show improvement, and not label everyone unknown in a bad light. If we continue to label everyone racist if it is true or not we might as well lock good American’s up in internment camps such as we did when there was the slight inkling.(And yes I know they are in large completely separate and unrelated.)

KINGBRICE_28

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
I don't think it has anything to do with race. The best canidates are hired.

I don't care if one of MY coordinators is Iraqi if we win games......