No African-American Coaches Hired Yet

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
This whole thing is stupid. MLK JR wanted a level playing field. Not one slanted one way or the other. Not to favor whites and not to favor blacks. He said he wanted his children judged by the content of their CHARACTER, not the color of thier skin. If he wanted Black people to have an advantage then he would be the worlds biggest hypocrite. I don't think he was.

But some of the militant Blacks in this country have taken his message an *******ized it to fit their own agenda. I talk of screwballs like Jessie "Shakedown" Jackson, Al "Twana Brawley" Sharpton. They use this as a means to gain money for themselves on the backs of honest Black Americans.

There should be no advantage for Blacks other than what THEY make through education, desire and determination. The same should apply to Whites, Yellows, Reds and Tans. No difference.

Coaching in the NFL should be the same.

Mol Mol

Benched
Reaction score
Name me 1 black coach who deserves the job over anyone else that got hired ! Why does an African American deserve a HC job just becuase hes African American ?

sportsman said:
Herm Edwards who actually just switched teams does not count.

With coaches that have little coaching experience it is hard to believe that not one African-American coach did not or will not be offered a head coaching job.

Not much has changed.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
I think the NFL's biggest race problem, by far, is that they continue to allow the team in Washington DC to use a blatantly offensive racist nickname.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Danny White said:
I think the NFL's biggest race problem, by far, is that they continue to allow the team in Washington DC to use a blatantly offensive racist nickname.

Ahhhhh, any thread is immediatley upgraded when we collectively take a shot at the skins. :skins:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
DOOMSDAYREBORN said:
No one is saying that an NFL team should hire an African American( their original roots came from Africa and had no choice in coming here, unlike your "REAL" AA) just because he is an African American. Just allow them to be part of the process. How else would you find out if they are qualified. If pressure had not been put on the NFL you would not have the African American coaches that you have now.

It's makes absolutely no sense that some of you say, why is no one asking about Chinese, Hispanics or women. Exactly how many of them are playing in the league or trying to be head coaches? Also to say, why are there not more caucasian players? These players are scouted in college and some are not able to take it to the next level. If an African American is not allowed to be part of the process, how do you know if he is ready to be part of the NFL?

Peace

I guess you find out about their qualification just as you do with other coaches by what they have done at their other job. Both Pats coordinators where hired as HC last year? Why? Color or their skin? Or was it the fact that they produced as coordinators? Guys like Herm Edwards, Tony Dungy proved themselves as Coordinators as well which is why they were given a chance. Produce and the opportunities will present themselves

Ashwynn

Reaction score
abersonc said:
the only thing more tiresome than hearing about this "racism crap" is having folks continually deny that it exists. if you honestly believe that minorities have more opportunities in this country then i feel sorry for your ignorance.
Man, Aber. Do me a favor. Find a grant for a white man, married, eduated, has a job. There are none that I qualify for, yet if I were merely a women I would qualify for 13 grants, If I were a black man, same situation as the white man, I would qualify for over 20 grants. If I were an american Indian in the same situation, I would qualify for over 20 grants.

If you cant see the shift in thinking about this affirmative action, you are not watching. The minorities have discovered a gold mine of money, and who pays for it. The white man with a job and a family to support.

We have made it so the if your a minority at all, you can have America and we will pay for it. They have housing breaks, auto breaks, Educational breaks. They have preferential treatment in getting jobs, and infact have to be hired while I am not even guarenteed an interview.

The Minorities have abused the system put in place to help pple that really need help. They take advantage of our generosity. Then all the while, taking the help I pay for, they call me racist and demand more.

A lot of pple are tired of this whole affirmative action thing. Its racial reversism and enable and allows bigots to propogate their hatred.

conner01

Reaction score
seems like a really stupid post when you consider half the coaches hired so far this year have been black.there's only been 2 kc, and gb
last time i looked herm was black.
me personally, i think it would be very insulting to me that i was hired soley because of the color of my skin and not the content of my work.

jja050575

Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
Man, Aber. Do me a favor. Find a grant for a white man, married, eduated, has a job. There are none that I qualify for, yet if I were merely a women I would qualify for 13 grants, If I were a black man, same situation as the white man, I would qualify for over 20 grants. If I were an american Indian in the same situation, I would qualify for over 20 grants.

If you cant see the shift in thinking about this affirmative action, you are not watching. The minorities have discovered a gold mine of money, and who pays for it. The white man with a job and a family to support.

We have made it so the if your a minority at all, you can have America and we will pay for it. They have housing breaks, auto breaks, Educational breaks. They have preferential treatment in getting jobs, and infact have to be hired while I am not even guarenteed an interview.

The Minorities have abused the system put in place to help pple that really need help. They take advantage of our generosity. Then all the while, taking the help I pay for, they call me racist and demand more.

A lot of pple are tired of this whole affirmative action thing. Its racial reversism and enable and allows bigots to propogate their hatred.

thank you!!!

jja050575

Reaction score
conner01 said:
seems like a really stupid post when you consider half the coaches hired so far this year have been black.there's only been 2 kc, and gb
last time i looked herm was black.
me personally, i think it would be very insulting to me that i was hired soley because of the color of my skin and not the content of my work.

thats the stuff i'm talking about! why won't anyone understand it?

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Best person should get the job regardless of race.

Wonder if KC will be facing a fine because they didnt interview any white candidates (that I know of).

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SkinsandTerps said:
Best person should get the job regardless of race.

Wonder if KC will be facing a fine because they didnt interview any white candidates (that I know of).
They interviewed their OC, Al Saunders.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SkinsandTerps said:
Thats right. Thanks. Talk about a loophole.
Especially considering I'd read early on when the Vermeil retirement rumors came out that they never really considered him a HC candidate.

But at least he got an interview. It's more than alot of folks can say.

notherbob

Reaction score
Danny White said:
Indians don't count. Tribal members make up less than 1/2 of one percent of the population. They don't have the votes to influence any election so you may stomp them any way you wish. :eek::

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
If we are to analyze each coaching hire and say why haven't people like ???? been hired, why not do the same with players? To be honest and not politically correct you see decisions based on race all of the time in football. My son plays football and although I do not think he will be in the NFL he is just as clumsy as anyother kid out there.:D But the coaches seperate the black children and put them on the first string on day 1. The unstated belief in our society is that if you are black that you are a better athelete than if you are non-black.

is this racism? Is it even true? if you look at the ethnic makeup of the NFL (by the way black/white are not races based on science) it is way out of whack. While I and others accept this without questioning, someone looking for something to complain about could definately make hay here. I believe there are still issues of ethnic tensions in our society but I don't think that coaches are being denied an opportunity to apply or be considered. As black atheletes believe that they can be coaches you see more and more being hired. History has stopped many people from believing they could do things and that is flat out wrong. I believe that it is becoming obvious that there are no differences between white/black coaches. They all can be very good or very bad depending on the man inside.

Off the soap box :D

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
But some of the militant Blacks in this country have taken his message an *******ized it to fit their own agenda. I talk of screwballs like Jessie "Shakedown" Jackson, Al "Twana Brawley" Sharpton. They use this as a means to gain money for themselves on the backs of honest Black Americans.

There people go again with name calling, being all judgemental and character assasination again.

Al Sharpton, Jessie Jackson and alot of other Black Leaders who have been despised have done alot of good in their life. They are flawed and have their own faults but just to make a statement like that to suggest that that is what those men are all about is very misleading and extremely wrong. Just go ask the Miners he spoke up for years back, speaking out against racial profiling, leading peacful demonstrations in the Middle East, the hostages helped freed, and helping 450 Students in New Orleans at Xavier University among other things.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
There people go again with name calling, being all judgemental and character assasination again.

Al Sharpton, Jessie Jackson and alot of other Black Leaders who have been despised have done alot of good in their life. They are flawed and have their own faults but just to make a statement like that to suggest that that is what those men are all about is very misleading and extremely wrong. Just go ask the Miners he spoke up for years back, speaking out against racial profiling, leading peacful demonstrations in the Middle East, the hostages helped freed, and helping 450 Students in New Orleans at Xavier University among other things.

Sorry to break this news to you, but they have no credibility with me at all. I lived in Williamsport, Pa for many years. Just 20 miles from where I lived is a little town called Lock Haven. There was a paper Mill there. The town had fallen on hard times. But Jessie thought he would ride to the rescue. He came in talking about how the union should stick together because the Paper Mill was talking about cutting some benefits and wages to stay afloat.

Many of these workers were struggling but at least they had a job. But Jessie gave his speech, said about how they should not waiver from their position of not taking any cuts and to stick it out.

At the end of his speech guess what he did????

He took a collection for his rainbow push coalition. These guys are looking at major cuts in their income and Jessie wants their money! He is a hypocrite and nothing more. Just as is Sharpton.

And one more thing. It's not an assasination if you shoot yourself. And that is what they did to their own character.

BTW, why did you ignore the rest of the post?

marsbennett

Mars Man
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Only fools think they can define merit fairly.
Only people who deny merit will be sitting around crying that can't get a job in the future......while their cohorts move forward and up in life.

kartr

Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:
Lovie Smith, Marvin Lewis, Tony Dungy, Herman Edwards, Dennis Green, Romeo Crenell.

I agree that there is probably racial bias in the hiring of coaches, but it also all depends on how you look at it.

If you want to look at it in terms of the overal population, where according to the US Cencus Beaurau, the African American population is 13%, the NFL has an African American Head coaching percentage of 18.75%.

Compared to the US population, African American coaches are well represented in the NFL, however if you reference the fact that ~65% of the NFL's players are African American, one might infer that there is some bias in the hiring of coaches.

I do think that it is a bit emberassing that no African American, or other minority candidates for that matter, are being mentioned for the vacancies....however, I do feel that the hiring of coaches should involve looking at who is the most qualified, not the color of their skin.

You should be a candidate for a vacancy if you are qualified, not because the league forces a team to interview a certain number of minortie candidates.

And by the way, I think that African American coaches have more than proven that they are just as qualified to coach as anyone else, as this list of current NFL coaches clearly proves.

It does strike me as a bit odd that not 1 person of minority status has been seriously considered for these vacancies.

Both Tim Lewis and Jerry Gray have been coordinators longer than Mangini.

kartr

Reaction score
chinch said:
You and the NFL need to give it a rest.

Any Japanese, American Indian, Dominican, Chinese, venezuelan, etc. coaches hired?

Nevermind purple, green or blue, Herm is an inept gameday coach and yet he was still hired. LOL.

Herm can at least get his team to the playoffs which is more than I can say for Jim Haslett. How many of those other minorities even play football. Your post was rediculous.