No mention of the failed challenge?

Dre11

Reaction score
right- very respected.

that’s why the refs talked down to him and told him to move and then threw a flag on him- stuff that has never happened before. Must be that they really respect him.

Either you've been sheltered or you have watched sports for long. Refs and coaches go at each other in all sports. You're golden...lol the ref actually got his feelings hurt, which is why he threw his flag

TheHerd

Reaction score
He still made contact with the receiver before the ball got there and didn't get his head around. If he got his head around then it would have been clean.
We coach our DBs to never turn their head around.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
That was a very poor challenge call. There was no way it was going to get overturned. Because of that challenge, Garrett didn't have one available when Gallup was literally pulled down on the interception.

yes the PI was a bad challenge but had the refs not blown the Gallup catch, he never would have had to use his second challenge.

I also don't know if he could won a challenge on the Gallup one as it was illegal contact, not PI. When the play was reviewed on the turnover, they could have called PI iirc, but did not.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
yeah, and getting a roughing the passer call for a light tap on the helmet while running for a first down, qualifies. The play where Quinn jumped into the neutral zone and the O-linesman moved and got a false start qualifies. The play where A-rod tried to snap the ball before we could get situated but the refs declared it blown dead along with the snap that hit cobb and was recovered by GB but blown dead, both qualify.

the one on the Cobb fumble was the right call, it was a false start. Rodgers was trying to snap it but the refs had not given the all clear signal, right call. Quinn did not make the OT jump.

Proof

Reaction score
the one on the Cobb fumble was the right call, it was a false start. Rodgers was trying to snap it but the refs had not given the all clear signal, right call. Quinn did not make the OT jump.

ive already been beaten into submission

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
yes the PI was a bad challenge but had the refs not blown the Gallup catch, he never would have had to use his second challenge.

I also don't know if he could won a challenge on the Gallup one as it was illegal contact, not PI. When the play was reviewed on the turnover, they could have called PI iirc, but did not.

It looked like both could have been called to me as King was fouling the whole route. I've seen conflicting reports on whether it was automatically reviewed because it was a turnover. However, looking at this source from the NFL website, I don't think that play would be automatically reviewed for pass interference.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2019-rules-changes-and-points-of-emphasis/
"BOOTH REVIEWS
In addition to pass interference, owners voted to expand the number of plays subject to booth reviews to include:

• If a penalty flag is thrown that would negate a touchdown, the play will be reviewed first to determine if there was a score before the defense elects to enforce the foul.
  • All two-point conversion reviews will now be initiated by the Replay Official. The plays are no longer challengeable by a coach. This is true regardless of the call on the field."
The pass interference section makes no mention of being reviewed automatically on turnovers, and the play in question didn't fit either of bullet points above for being reviewed by the booth.

HungryLion

Reaction score
He still made contact with the receiver before the ball got there and didn't get his head around. If he got his head around then it would have been clean.

Agreed. If he gets his head around it’s actually an easy interception.

But of course, it’s too much to ask for Brown to actually look for the damn ball.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was pissed because of the challenge he lost two series earlier on the 39 yard PI call on Brown. It took a replay to see that Cooper’s catch was a blown call.
It took a replay for the refs and TV viewers, but that doesn't mean Garrett, Cooper and the Cowboy coaches weren't convinced of it when the flag was thrown.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It took a replay for the refs and TV viewers, but that doesn't mean Garrett, Cooper and the Cowboy coaches weren't convinced of it when the flag was thrown.

They were convinced of it after they saw it on replay. Cooper was the only one who knew it was a catch before it was viewed on replay. It took replay to confirm it.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Yeah, screw Garrett for not having a crystal ball to tell the future. :rolleyes: Some of you people are just ridiculous.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They were convinced of it after they saw it on replay. Cooper was the only one who knew it was a catch before it was viewed on replay. It took replay to confirm it.
If by "they", you mean the refs, I agree. Your comment on this, however, has been that Garrett had no idea and only threw the flag because the ref goaded him into it. As I said in another post, between what Garrett believed himself, and what Cooper indicated, and what the coaches in the booth thought, Garrett clearly knew he was going to throw the flag. Otherwise he wouldn't have had the flag already out before the exchange with the ref and he wouldn't have angrily confronted the ref and slammed down the flag.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Garrett got baited into making that challenge by the official. He told Garrett if you don’t like the call then challenge it and Garrett proceeded to slam down the challenge flag. Just another poor coaching decision to add to Garrett’s resume.

You're confusing the challenges. It was the second challenge, on Cooper's sideline catch, that
Garrett slammed the red flag. The first one, he tossed it, looking like he knew he'd lose the
challenge.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Some of need to change how you're following the game.
It's as if you never saw it.

Stop going to the local sports bar. Lock yourselves in your private domains
and watch and listen. Rewind plays and watch them again.
Then, and only then, will you stop looking like fools in the 'Zone.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You're confusing the challenges. It was the second challenge, on Cooper's sideline catch, that
Garrett slammed the red flag. The first one, he tossed it, looking like he knew he'd lose the
challenge.

Right, I was referring to the first challenge on the PI call on Brown. That was a poor decision because there was no way they were going to overturn that call. We all know the standard that has been set on PI calls even Garrett said the standard is very high. It was a stupid challenge and it ended up costing us a time out. Garrett was still stewing over that and it boiled over on the Cooper catch. He felt the officials should have gotten the call right on the field so he didn’t have to use a challenge.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If by "they", you mean the refs, I agree. Your comment on this, however, has been that Garrett had no idea and only threw the flag because the ref goaded him into it. As I said in another post, between what Garrett believed himself, and what Cooper indicated, and what the coaches in the booth thought, Garrett clearly knew he was going to throw the flag. Otherwise he wouldn't have had the flag already out before the exchange with the ref and he wouldn't have angrily confronted the ref and slammed down the flag.

As soon as Garrett got confirmation that the catch was good he should have just thrown the challenge flag instead of arguing with the official. He didn’t throw until the official told him if you don’t like the call then challenge it. That’s when Garrett slammed the challenge flag down. If you want to keep arguing this go ahead.

J-man

Reaction score
that official was being a dick and he definitely bated JG to throw that challenge flag knowing full well he wouldn't win. JG should have known better but he was so pissed I don't blame him. He should have decked him later when they were nose to nose after he got the unsportsmanlike call. Would have been ejected and suspended but the team would have loved it

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As soon as Garrett got confirmation that the catch was good he should have just thrown the challenge flag instead of arguing with the official. He didn’t throw until the official told him if you don’t like the call then challenge it. That’s when Garrett slammed the challenge flag down. If you want to keep arguing this go ahead.
The official was walking the other direction and Garrett yelled at him and got his attention and was throwing the flag down as the official turned back to walk toward him. I’m wondering if you are still getting the two challenges confused.

What you are saying make a no sense anyway. Why would Garrett have been mad to begin with if he wasn’t upset about the call? Do you think it was just a random fit of anger and not prompted by the play?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The official was walking the other direction and Garrett yelled at him and got his attention and was throwing the flag down as the official turned back to walk toward him. I’m wondering if you are still getting the two challenges confused.

What you are saying make a no sense anyway. Why would Garrett have been mad to begin with if he wasn’t upset about the call? Do you think it was just a random fit of anger and not prompted by the play?

Garrett and the official got into it earlier during the Anthony Brown 39 yard PI call. Listen to Troy Aikman in the video. That happened about two series before the Cooper catch. Garrett was still upset that he lost the challenge on the Brown PI call and it came to a head after the Cooper catch. Garrett felt they missed both calls forcing him to have to use two challenges. They clearly missed the Cooper catch but it took slow mo replay to see that he dragged the other foot in bounds. Garrett is lucky he didn’t say anything bad to the female official.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Why would Garrett have been mad to begin with if he wasn’t upset about the call? Do you think it was just a random fit of anger and not prompted by the play?

Like I said he was still mad about the unsuccessful challenge on the 39 yard PI call on Brown a couple of series earlier. Listen to Aikman and Joe Buck in the video I posted. The official told Garrett if he wasn’t happy with the call on Brown to challenge it. Garrett challenged it but it was a terrible challenge because it was debatable. We all know, even Garrett should’ve known by the standard that has been set that they wouldn’t overturn that call. That unsuccessful challenge cost us a time out. The butt whipping we were taking and that unsuccessful challenge had Garrett stewing and it boiled over on the Cooper catch. There was bad blood between Garrett and the ref that had been brewing.