No mention of the failed challenge?

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Was it irrefutable that Rodger’s fumble was a forward pass?

Heard someone say that the ball was already coming out of his grip before his sad attempt to push it just past his own feet.

Is that true?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was it irrefutable that Rodger’s fumble was a forward pass?

Heard someone say that the ball was already coming out of his grip before his sad attempt to push it just past his own feet.

Is that true?
The announcers initially thought that might be the case, but replay appeared to confirm that Rodgers had control

Verdict

Reaction score
Like I said Cooper signaled to the sidelines that he caught it in bounds. If Garrett wanted to throw the challenge flag he would’ve thrown it instead of arguing with the official and having the ref tell him to challenge the call if he didn’t like it. If Garrett wanted to challenge the call he wouldn’t have slammed the challenge flag to the ground.

He was pissed because the official clearly blew the call requiring him to challenge it.

starfan1

Reaction score
I thought it was a good challenge. That wasn't interference IMO. There is no face guarding in the NFL.. the WR initiated the contact with the DB and the ball hit the DB in the back, not even sure it was a catch-able ball, it was 3 yards short with the WR running the other way.

But either way, you don't hold that flag in case you lose and need it later. There are times you take your shot, if for no other reason to show your player you go their back. And I am not sure that the play you are referring to could even be challenged. I don't remember where the ball was when he was being molested, holding, illegal contact are not review-able and if the ball wasn't in the air, then it's not pass interference.

There may not be face guarding in the league but these officials call PI on the slightest contact with the Receiver. Brown did get there early it wasn't egregious but he got there early. My issue is apparently Richard is training these folks to play the receiver and not the ball and some of these backs are getting duped.

If they would just start playing the ball we would get less PI calls and more picks IMO

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
It wasn't. You can have contact. The ball hit him in the back. He did not impede the reciever.

from the NFL rulebook...

It is pass interference by either team when any act by a player more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage significantly hinders an eligible player’s opportunity to catch the ball. Pass interference can only occur when a forward pass is thrown from behind the line of scrimmage, regardless of whether the pass is legal or illegal, or whether it crosses the line.

Defensive pass interference rules apply from the time the ball is thrown until the ball is touched. See Article 2 for prohibited acts while the ball is in the air.

You were saying?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Garrett got baited into making that challenge by the official. He told Garrett if you don’t like the call then challenge it and Garrett proceeded to slam down the challenge flag. Just another poor coaching decision to add to Garrett’s resume.

To be accurate, Garrett didn't slam the flag down that time (that was later). This was the time where the official said to challenge if you want and Garrett threw the flag down in a "Well, by gosh golly I guess he's right so I'll gently toss it out there" way. He looked like a total wimp there, I must say.

Dre11

Reaction score
from the NFL rulebook...

It is pass interference by either team when any act by a player more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage significantly hinders an eligible player’s opportunity to catch the ball. Pass interference can only occur when a forward pass is thrown from behind the line of scrimmage, regardless of whether the pass is legal or illegal, or whether it crosses the line.

Defensive pass interference rules apply from the time the ball is thrown until the ball is touched. See Article 2 for prohibited acts while the ball is in the air.

You were saying?
HE DID NOT HINDER HIM FROM CATCHING THE BALL, THE BALL WAS SHORT AND HIT HIM IN THE BACK. again you're allowed contact. Now if the wr had tried to comeback to the ball and was impeded it's PI. That wasn't the case.

It's why they allowed contact on the pass to Cobb and Cooper.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
HE DID NOT HINDER HIM FROM CATCHING THE BALL, THE BALL WAS SHORT AND HIT HIM IN THE BACK. again you're allowed contact. Now if the wr had tried to comeback to the ball and was impeded it's PI. That wasn't the case.

It's why they allowed contact on the pass to Cobb and Cooper.

Here's how I know it was PI.

1) It was PI
2) It was called PI
3) It was not overturned on replay
4) The league reviewed it on Monday and agreed it was the correct call
5) Anthony Brown is a PI machine

and also, it was PI.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He was pissed because the official clearly blew the call requiring him to challenge it.

He was pissed because of the challenge he lost two series earlier on the 39 yard PI call on Brown. It took a replay to see that Cooper’s catch was a blown call.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
To be accurate, Garrett didn't slam the flag down that time (that was later). This was the time where the official said to challenge if you want and Garrett threw the flag down in a "Well, by gosh golly I guess he's right so I'll gently toss it out there" way. He looked like a total wimp there, I must say.

He was angry about the challenge he lost on the Brown 39 yard PI call and the fact that he had to use a challenge on the Cooper catch. He felt the officials blew both calls and that he shouldn’t have had to challenge either one.

Dre11

Reaction score
, f
Here's how I know it was PI.

1) It was PI
2) It was called PI
3) It was not overturned on replay
4) The league reviewed it on Monday and agreed it was the correct call
5) Anthony Brown is a PI machine

and also, it was PI.

Lol...no it wasn't. That ref just had a terrible day making calls. Just because it wasn't overturned doesn't mean it was PI. Just like the last int. To Gallup was PI and not called

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
, f

Lol...no it wasn't. That ref just had a terrible day making calls. Just because it wasn't overturned doesn't mean it was PI. Just like the last int. To Gallup was PI and not called

it was Ticky rack. But it was PI.

by the letter of the law it was PI. Terrible call but technically the correct one.

On another note, it is ridiculous that Garrett was flagged for that! But here is why he was- the refs don’t respect Garrett in the slightest and they see him as a beta male who has stabbed people in the back to get where he is.

That’s why that guy wasn’t taking anything from Garrett!

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
To Gallup was PI and not called
Missed call. Horribly missed call and had we not wasted a challenge on a fairly obvious PI (to almost everyone accept you and an agitated Jason Garrett), we would have likely got the call.

The league has also admitted it would have been overturned if reviewed.

The league is not out to get us.

Silverz1972

Reaction score
Maybe so but it shouldn’t have been called in the first place.

That was a very poor challenge call. There was no way it was going to get overturned. Because of that challenge, Garrett didn't have one available when Gallup was literally pulled down on the interception.

Dre11

Reaction score
it was Ticky rack. But it was PI.

by the letter of the law it was PI. Terrible call but technically the correct one.

On another note, it is ridiculous that Garrett was flagged for that! But here is why he was- the refs don’t respect Garrett in the slightest and they see him as a beta male who has stabbed people in the back to get where he is.

That’s why that guy wasn’t taking anything from Garrett!

Lol....thats ridicoulous. Garrett is well respected around the league. He's the one who stood up and gave the speech on instant replay that help get the rule for it to be able to challenge it. If anything that's why he could've got the flag

Dre11

Reaction score
Missed call. Horribly missed call and had we not wasted a challenge on a fairly obvious PI (to almost everyone accept you and an agitated Jason Garrett), we would have likely got the call.

The league has also admitted it would have been overturned if reviewed.

The league is not out to get us.

There has been no mention of the league admitting anything. Link?.

Also neither Aikman or Buck thought it was PI.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Lol....thats ridicoulous. Garrett is well respected around the league. He's the one who stood up and gave the speech on instant replay that help get the rule for it to be able to challenge it. If anything that's why he could've got the flag

right- very respected.

that’s why the refs talked down to him and told him to move and then threw a flag on him- stuff that has never happened before. Must be that they really respect him.