No mention of the failed challenge?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He clearly got baited and was angry at the official which is why he slammed the challenge flag down. He also used abusive language which drew the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.
Not true. Garrett knew Cooper stayed in bounds and he planned to throw the flag all along. He saw it himself and he had his replay guys in his ear confirming it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not true. Garrett knew Cooper stayed in bounds and he planned to throw the flag all along. He saw it himself and he had his replay guys in his ear confirming it.

Cooper signaled to the sidelines that he was in bounds.

Rajveer

Reaction score
we've actually gotten some pretty favorable calls this year imo. Unfortunately just as many poor ones lol
The officiating in general this year has taken a turn for the worse. Bad calls all over the place. The problem is we were on the worse end of this to begin with anyway because our owner cannot keep shut. He rubs people the wrong way be it refs, other owners or the commissioner. Part of the hate for this team around the country is not only because of the previous success but also because of Jerry. After 22 years of failure, it would seem people would lighten up on us, but Jerry makes sure the hype is around his team. Keeps this team the most valued team in the world as well as the most underachieving team as well.

Techsass

Reaction score
yeah, and getting a roughing the passer call for a light tap on the helmet while running for a first down, qualifies. The play where Quinn jumped into the neutral zone and the O-linesman moved and got a false start qualifies. The play where A-rod tried to snap the ball before we could get situated but the refs declared it blown dead along with the snap that hit cobb and was recovered by GB but blown dead, both qualify.
You're killing me here. The loss was bad enough. Now you're telling me the refs were dong their best to get us the win.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Its hard to tell watching the video but I think your right. I think he was upset with the official before the missed catch by Amari.

I went back to listen to his radio interview on Monday. Garrett was angry about the unsuccessful challenge a couple of series earlier on the 39 yard PI call against Brown. That was a terrible challenge by Garrett because there was no way they were going to overturn that call. We all know the standard is very high for overturning PI calls, they don’t do it very often unless it’s extremely obvious. Garrett was still stewing over that challenge and it boiled over on the Cooper catch. He felt the officials blew the call against Brown and now they missed the catch that Cooper made forcing him to have to use another challenge. It took replay to see that Cooper clearly caught the ball in bounds. It’s pretty obvious that Garrett is starting to feel the heat of the hot seat he’s sitting on. Despite the closeness of the score we got our butts handed to us in a game where Aaron Rodgers didn’t throw a single TD pass. We were so worried about Aaron Rodgers we got dominated by a different Aaron.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Complete waste of time allowing coaches to challenge those calls. The egotistical refs will never overturn their own calls
They overturn their own calls all the time, just not on PI so far.

cwbyfn88

Reaction score
They overturn their own calls all the time, just not on PI so far.
I've watched a few games where former referees who are now in the booth said that calls should definitely be overturned and the refs refused to do so. now that we are almost halfway through the season I hope they cut back on the amount of calls they are making as far as PI

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've watched a few games where former referees who are now in the booth said that calls should definitely be overturned and the refs refused to do so. now that we are almost halfway through the season I hope they cut back on the amount of calls they are making as far as PI
I've also seen times where the former ref in the booth was surprised that a call was overturned when he thought it wouldn't, although I think it is more common the way you mentioned. In any case, my point wasn't that refs don't get some wrong, it was just that it's not accurate to say refs are unwilling to overturn their own calls at all.

aikemirv

Reaction score
yeah, and getting a roughing the passer call for a light tap on the helmet while running for a first down, qualifies. The play where Quinn jumped into the neutral zone and the O-linesman moved and got a false start qualifies. The play where A-rod tried to snap the ball before we could get situated but the refs declared it blown dead along with the snap that hit cobb and was recovered by GB but blown dead, both qualify.
Quinn was not in the neutral zone ....

Creeper

Reaction score
I think coaches are learning how replay works with PI calls. Its doesn't. They are not going to reverse ordinary PI calls no matter what the replay shows. Its going to have to be blatant PI not called, or a really bad call of PI. In Garrett's defense, he was trying to prevent GB from getting a huge play in a crucial spot in the game. That was a 37 yard penalty! It was also a bad call. Face guarding is not a penalty anymore so it has to be flagrant contact. On that play, there was contact but both players had position for the ball and it hit Brown in the back. Brown did turn for the ball at the last minute. I watched the replay and I have seen worse contact not called - like the mugging of Michael Gallup later in the game. On Gallup's TD catch, he was grabbed by the shoulder before the ball arrived and that wasn't called either. The Packers DB were playing pretty rough the entire game without getting called. So the call on Brown was inconsistent with the way they were calling the rest of the game.

ryanbabs

Reaction score
I swear our home field advantage should be that the officials look at the jumbotron and instantly correct their dumb calls. :laugh:

dckid

Reaction score
That was a very poor challenge call. There was no way it was going to get overturned. Because of that challenge, Garrett didn't have one available when Gallup was literally pulled down on the interception.
Jason doing Jason things. Please let me know the one time a pass interference call was reversed from the way it was called on the field.

The one that Jason could not challenge was just a missed opportunity.
To me this is an easy fix. Hire an analytics guy to put in the booth and let him/her decide what play to challenge. Jerry just pay him 250K or even 450K a year. A great investment .

If I had a 5 billion company I would not want JG to be in charge.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It took replay to see that he had both feet in.
It took replay for TV viewers, but the players and coaches see it from a different perspective in real time. Plus, there was the added benefit of the Cowboy coaches in the booth looking at replay and confirming it on the headset Garrett wears. Between Garrett’s own eyes, the eyes of other coaches and players, Cooper’s indication based on his actual participation in the play and the coaches in the booth confirming it with replay, it’s pretty silly to suggest Garrett had no idea and only threw the flag because the ref goaded him into it.

On top of that, he didn’t have to dig the flag out of his pocket to throw it after having words with the ref, he had already pulled it out. Add in the common sense that if Garrett didn’t actually know it was a bad call there would have been nothing to be mad about or confront the ref about ....

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It took replay for TV viewers, but the players and coaches see it from a different perspective in real time. Plus, there was the added benefit of the Cowboy coaches in the booth looking at replay and confirming it on the headset Garrett wears. Between Garrett’s own eyes, the eyes of other coaches and players, Cooper’s indication based on his actual participation in the play and the coaches in the booth confirming it with replay, it’s pretty silly to suggest Garrett had no idea and only threw the flag because the ref goaded him into it.

On top of that, he didn’t have to dig the flag out of his pocket to throw it after having words with the ref, he had already pulled it out. Add in the common sense that if Garrett didn’t actually know it was a bad call there would have been nothing to be mad about or confront the ref about ....

Like I said Cooper signaled to the sidelines that he caught it in bounds. If Garrett wanted to throw the challenge flag he would’ve thrown it instead of arguing with the official and having the ref tell him to challenge the call if he didn’t like it. If Garrett wanted to challenge the call he wouldn’t have slammed the challenge flag to the ground.