Twitter: No QB could win with this defense

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
It's a team game can ppl stop with the idiotic post . Rodgers won it by himself ? Yea Rodgers is really tearing it up this year . Fact is Rodgers is poor in clutch situations he is only good when up by double digits .

Rodgers won a Super Bowl with the 32nd ranked defense.

Wonder what it feels like to have a truly elite QB like Rodgers.
a

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
New England was 17th in passer rating allowed and 12th in yards per pass attempt allowed.
I don't understand why people continue to use the outdated volume stats to rate defenses. It would be like classifying our offense purely on the basis of passing yardage.

Personally I hate using stats but this is what people use to convince me that Romo is great, when I argue that a man that can't win anything other than regular season games against inferior teams isn't a Great QB. No mater what stats say.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
It's a team game can ppl stop with the idiotic post . Rodgers won it by himself ? Yea Rodgers is really tearing it up this year . Fact is Rodgers is poor in clutch situations he is only good when up by double digits .

a

Was it a team game when Rodgers went down? That same team that was winning, can't win now. Surely one person can't be responsible for one player going down. It's a quarterbacks game, and quarterbacks who are great, usually has their team in contention year after year. We're NEVER in contention.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Not absolving Romo or anyone on offense from blame. But you simply can't win when your defense has no ability whatsoever to make stops. They can't stop traffic. Just poor across the board. It's unbelievable how inept this group has been all year. Sadly we are probably 2-3 games better in the standings with Rob Ryan still calling the defense.

And no we are not GB and Romo is not Aaron Rodgers, who was playing at an all-time level that season. Please stop making that comparison.

kramskoi

Reaction score
The defense is an excuse for Tony Romo. He always has an excuse. Yesterday, he could not carry this team at any point in the game. If the running game had not been on par, we would've been obliterated. 07, 08, 09 we were a top ten defense, what did we accomplish? Last year when Baltimore won the Super Bowl, they were 17th in total defense we were 19th and couldn't even make the playoffs. Last year, 4 teams had worse defenses than the Cowboys, who, incidentally, made the playoffs. Let that sink in. So they had no excuses with worse defenses that made the playoffs.

2 years ago, New England barely lost the Super Bowl, guess what their defensive ranking was? 31st. Guess where Dallas' defense was ranked? 14th. Guess where the Super Bowl champs defense ranked that year? 27th
We didn't even make the playoffs that year.Guess how many teams made the playoffs that year with worse defenses than Dallas? 6. And guess who had the 32nd ranked defense that year, GREEN BAY. They were in the playoffs.

Shall I go on? I can if you need me to.

Yes, go on and enthrall us all with your less than judicious use of sophistry. Green Bay and New England pass defenses never even resembled the one that Dallas currently fields. When was the last time that Green Bay and New England went entire games without forcing a punt? Man you are in the black hole of hyperbolic hogwash today!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Actually I think they ran the ball to try and end the game as quickly as they could since it was obvious we were going to lose.

There was over 12 minutes to play you don't give up with that much time left but that's the type of team the Cowboys have.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
We have an enept coach and the worst defense in nfl history . I hear Eli and Big Ben are " elite " they are contending yearly right ?

Was it a team game when Rodgers went down? That same team that was winning, can't win now. Surely one person can't be responsible for one player going down. It's a quarterbacks game, and quarterbacks who are great, usually has their team in contention year after year. We're NEVER in contention.
The packers didn't impress me with or without Rodgers this year . You want to see bad let's have romo sit out and we are winless this year with exception of rams game . Romo has to bring this team back every single game and win it in the 4th quarter

burmafrd

Reaction score
There was over 12 minutes to play you don't give up with that much time left but that's the type of team the Cowboys have.

actually it makes a strange kind of sense. Run the ball and end the game and try and get away with no more injuries.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
actually it makes a strange kind of sense. Run the ball and end the game and try and get away with no more injuries.

As important as that games was It made no sense with that much time left. You never give up on a game with almost an entire quarter left unless you have a playoff birth wrapped up. With that much time left anything can happen in the NFL. That loss put the Cowboys in a tough spot they may have to win out to make the playoffs.

Coy

Reaction score
The defense is an excuse for Tony Romo. He always has an excuse. Yesterday, he could not carry this team at any point in the game. If the running game had not been on par, we would've been obliterated. 07, 08, 09 we were a top ten defense, what did we accomplish? Last year when Baltimore won the Super Bowl, they were 17th in total defense we were 19th and couldn't even make the playoffs. Last year, 4 teams had worse defenses than the Cowboys, who, incidentally, made the playoffs. Let that sink in. So they had no excuses with worse defenses that made the playoffs.

2 years ago, New England barely lost the Super Bowl, guess what their defensive ranking was? 31st. Guess where Dallas' defense was ranked? 14th. Guess where the Super Bowl champs defense ranked that year? 27th
We didn't even make the playoffs that year.Guess how many teams made the playoffs that year with worse defenses than Dallas? 6. And guess who had the 32nd ranked defense that year, GREEN BAY. They were in the playoffs.

So you are arguing that Romo should not be compared with Brady or Rodgers, guess what, you are correct but that doesn’t mean Romo isn´t capable of winning it, he just needs a better team around him, it´s not only about the Defense, Running game and Offensive line matter, e.g. Roethlisberger, Eli, Flacco.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
So you are arguing that Romo should not be compared with Brady or Rodgers, guess what, you are correct but that doesn’t mean Romo isn´t capable of winning it, he just needs a better team around him, it´s not only about the Defense, Running game and Offensive line matter, e.g. Roethlisberger, Eli, Flacco.

In your eyes, what makes Romo great to you?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score

These players you mention below, Eli, Flacco, Roethlisberger, at points in their careers, they played great. They played great enough to win multiple super bowls. The giants had one of the worse defenses in the league the last time Eli won the super bowl. He also had an average offensive line. So how was he able to still win? You will never win this debate, history "don't" lie.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Yep. Romo needs to bust out that magic that allows him to make sure the offense scores every single time it touches the ball.

Outside of that this team has zero shot of winning anything cause their defense is most certainly going to allow the other team to score every single time they touch the ball.

85Cowboy85

Reaction score
Personally I hate using stats but this is what people use to convince me that Romo is great, when I argue that a man that can't win anything other than regular season games against inferior teams isn't a Great QB. No mater what stats say.

It's one thing to use stats. It's another thing to use the right stats.

The point is that stat is not really indicative of how good their defense is. We know this because the pure yardage numbers are a poor indicator of wins and losses.

There is no superbowl winner that I know of that won it with a passer rating allowed in the bottom third of the NFL. This is what we have had each of the past four years.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score

http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2013/8/23/4648848/nfl-defense-wins-championships

According to this list not one Champion has won the Superbowl with the 32nd ranked defense in anything since 2003. In fact that Greenbay defense everyone is claiming was so bad that was not only 5th in yards per game was also 2nd in points per game allowing only 15. Pretty easy to win games when your defense is giving up 15 points a game.

Another interesting thing here is that 6 times in those years the team that won had a defense ranked in the top 10 in INT's including 4 of the last 5. The one exception was the Ravens last year at 19th in that catagory. So those defenses do share one thing in common with Dallas defense this year, they got turnovers.

The worst defense in that run, yards per game wise, was the Giants a couple years ago averaging allowing 376.4 yards per game. Which is also the lowest ranking for a Superbowl champion in that catagory at 27th. 6 of those ten times the winner had a top 10 defense in this catagory as well.

5 of those ten times the winning team had a top 10 defense scoring allowed as well. For example the two times the Patriots won during this time their defense was 1st and 2nd in scoring allowing 14.9 and 16.2 points per game. The Steelers two wins in this time they gave Ben a defense that was 3rd and 1st in scoring defense allowing 16.1 and 13.9 points per game for those winning years.

Again it's pretty easy to win a lot of games, especially championship games, when your defense is allowing 14-16 points per game. By comparison just this year the Cowboys defense is allowing 426+ (32nd) yards per game, 26.8 (26th) points per game, 298.5 passing per game (32nd), and 128+ rushing per game (28th).

So, yeah, none of those QBs you're slobbering over won Superbowls with defenses playing anything close to the clip that the Dallas defense is playing at this year. With more time I could break down the Cowboys defense from each year in comparison to the teams that everyone is talking about playing so horrible on defense and I have zero doubt that I'd find that those 'horrible' defenses were quite likely playing far better than the Dallas defense was playing that year, and certainly light years better than this years trash version.

85Cowboy85

Reaction score
These players you mention below, Eli, Flacco, Roethlisberger, at points in their careers, they played great. They played great enough to win multiple super bowls. The giants had one of the worse defenses in the league the last time Eli won the super bowl. He also had an average offensive line. So how was he able to still win? You will never win this debate, history "don't" lie.

Flacco and Roethlisburger both had top 5 defenses. Eli's defense were middle of the pack but 16th in passer rating allowed is better then anything we have had the past 6 years. Also they got a strong postseason performance from their defense.

Reactions: Coy

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
So, yeah, none of those QBs you're slobbering over won Superbowls with defenses playing anything close to the clip that the Dallas defense is playing at this year. With more time I could break down the Cowboys defense from each year in comparison to the teams that everyone is talking about playing so horrible on defense and I have zero doubt that I'd find that those 'horrible' defenses were quite likely playing far better than the Dallas defense was playing that year, and certainly light years better than this years trash version.
I'm slobbering over teams that have bad defense yet they can continually make the playoffs. Forget about Super Bowls, this QB will NEVER EVER even come close to touching a Super Bowl. I've completely lowered my standards for Romo and this franchise. But if he can at least make the playoffs every year, I'm happy. You guys are the one's who slobber over mediocrity, continue slobbering while I hope for a QB who can lead us past the Raiders in a regular season "who cares" game.

DFWJC

Reaction score
If you would have told me we were to going to go on the road in frgid tempertures but
Rush for over 200 yards
Pass for 3TDs
Have zero turnovers

I would think at the very least, the game would be very close. And normally, I'd think, that is a sure win.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Flacco and Roethlisburger both had top 5 defenses. Eli's defense were middle of the pack but 16th in passer rating allowed is better then anything we have had the past 6 years. Also they got a strong postseason performance from their defense.
Use stats however you want, you live by stats while I live by my God-Given eye balls. Do you just sit at your computer and wait for the stats to come in to see who won? How do you measure clutch? How do you measure Heart? Romo has none of those mentioned. The proof is in the past 8 years of mediocrity.

wileedog

Reaction score
I'm slobbering over teams that have bad defense yet they can continually make the playoffs. Forget about Super Bowls, this QB will NEVER EVER even come close to touching a Super Bowl. I've completely lowered my standards for Romo and this franchise. But if he can at least make the playoffs every year, I'm happy. You guys are the one's who slobber over mediocrity, continue slobbering while I hope for a QB who can lead us past the Raiders in a regular season "who cares" game.

This is like complaining about the food on the Titanic.