Noah Brown, The steal of the Draft?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Noah Brown is a Redshirt Sophomore.

I think he made a horrible mistake leaving college for the NFL.

We'll see. He wasn't very productive at tOSU and looks like a practice squad at best kind of guy.

I'm more excited about Andy Jones TBH.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Your first post you said that the only way he could be the steal of the draft was if he had the same career as Jerry Rice. Which, is simply not true and honestly a stupid thing to say if you really believed it..

It's called HYPERBOLE!!!! Look up the definition.
Second, I explained what I meant in a subsequent post.

Besides that, everyone evidently knew what the OP meant except you. Someone defended the OP and you felt the need to post your calculus report (borrowed from a a latter poster).
Actually, it was I who offered the Calculus report. :)
Second, the OP took exception to my statement and instead of inquiring what I meant, got offended.
Third, this is a DISCUSSION BOARD. I can write to whatever length that suits me. If you don't like it, don't read it. But if you have trouble comprehending Calculus or are too bored to consume it, you know what you can do. You're a big boy capable of making decisions about what you read and what you don't read.

I used Michael Irvin as an example to try and illustrate that it was just semantics and we were still just trying to talk football.
If you were interested in "just trying to talk football" you wouldn't have engaged me in a lengthy conversation about condescension. Instead, I hurt your feelings because you didn't like the way I responded to your friend, so here we are.

You asked if this was going to turn into an argument and I declined.
And yet you're back. :rolleyes:

You seem to want to argue for no reason but nobody wants to argue.
Then why are you continuing to argue? :rolleyes:

We aren't interested in semantics, calculus or even math for that matter.
I know. Trust me, I know. :)

I could care less what you know that I don't know.
It's couldn't care less. But I guess that's what you would call semantics. :laugh:

I do know that he doesn't have to be as good as Jerry Rice to be the steal of the draft.
So let's get back to football matters. How would you qualify him as being the steal of the draft? How would you measure that compared to other players drafted lower? I'd like to hear your reasoning, if you're indeed interested in talking football.

So if you are being condescending and you aren't even trying, that pretty much makes you a, well I'm sure you have heard it before.
Oh, I'm not trying to be condescending. I AM being condescending. And I save my condescension for posters who offer it first. You don't want to be condescended to then stay on the discussion of football. Don't immediately take offense to a post you interpret as negative. Don't jump into other people's conversations trying to school them. Ask follow up questions of a football nature. You know the stuff that people wanting to talk football do because if you don't, well, I'm sure you know what they call that. ;)

Last edited:

NotForLong

Reaction score
Your first post you said that the only way he could be the steal of the draft was if he had the same career as Jerry Rice. Which, is simply not true and honestly a stupid thing to say if you really believed it..

Besides that, everyone evidently knew what the OP meant except you. Someone defended the OP and you felt the need to post your calculus report (borrowed from a a latter poster). I used Michael Irvin as an example to try and illustrate that it was just semantics and we were still just trying to talk football. You asked if this was going to turn into an argument and I declined.
You seem to want to argue for no reason but nobody wants to argue. We aren't interested in semantics, calculus or even math for that matter. I could care less what you know that I don't know. I do know that he doesn't have to be as good as Jerry Rice to be the steal of the draft.

So if you are being condescending and you aren't even trying, that pretty much makes y
https://imgflip.com/i/1oatvp

Last edited:

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
After watching highlights, Noah Brown plays a lot like Terrell Owens. They have similar body types (Noah Brown 6'2" 223: Terrell Owens 6'3" 224). Some reports have Brown listed at 6'3" as well. Owens has a faster 40 time at 4.45 while Brown came in at 4.56. I'm not saying that Brown will put up the type of numbers that Owens put up, but in terms of body size and playing style, they are similar.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
It's ok, I told him that I could care less what he thought, and he felt the need to tell me it's "couldn't care less."

Funny thing, I woke up this morning and I did care less. So I was right after all. I could care less.

So you're telling me there's a chance? :D

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Hey, I'm all good.

There is still the possibility I could wake up tomorrow and couldn't care less.

So you could care less or you couldn't care less. Get it, got it.

Brown and his 4.56 might make the PS. Hope he can anyway.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
So you could care less or you couldn't care less. Get it, got it.

Brown and his 4.56 might make the PS. Hope he can anyway.
His chances of making the 53 are slim and none. I think he will make the practice squad with no problems. He is still a project but he hasn't come close to his ceiling. If the Cowboys really like him they can pay him xtra to stay on the PS.

rkell87

Reaction score
An aggressive blocker and red zone threat. I think he makes the team.

cmoney23

Reaction score
Oh, my communication was effective. You just didn't understand it. But my explanation made perfectly good sense. I can't help if your reading and comprehension levels are merely past the third grade.
You pop off but don't understand words and their meaning.
The title of the thread is "Noah Brown, the Steal of the Draft"?
The title uses an article - "The". The article "the" is specific. It only has one designation. If it were to apply to a non-specific player, it would be "Noah Brown: 'A' steal of the draft."
Therefore, the original poster, if he is being precise with language, is saying that Noah Brown will be THE steal of the draft.
So how do you measure THE steal? It would have to be a player who was taken lower but made the greater contribution or had the greater accomplishments based on his draft position.
Last year, it was Dak. Why? Because Dak was taken in the fourth round, but he had as his accomplishments:
1. Starting Day 1.
2. Leading his team to a 13-3 record, tying Roethlisberger's record.
3. Breaking Tom Brady's record for passes without an interception.
4. Winning the Rookie of the Year award.

No other player drafted lower than Dak accomplished more. Therefore, he is THE steal of the draft - at this moment.
Your argument focuses on a general definition when the phrase "The Steal of the Draft" speaks about a specific player.

That's why I said Noah Brown would have to be Jerry Rice to be the steal of the draft, especially in a draft as deep as this one. His accomplishments would have to be more pronounced than any of the players taken below him. Jerry Rice stats would just about do that.

Now, before you go running your mouth - or pounding your fingers - about who doesn't make sense, you might want to go back to school and learn grammar, vocabulary, definitions and how to use words. Because if anyone doesn't understand, it's you.

Hope that helps. ;)

Man, you are not smart. I know, I know... it is hard for you to hear that because, gosh darn it, your mom told you that you were special. But I'm sorry, you're not.

Let me walk you through this and hopefully you will understand. (I doubt it, but you never know)
I was asking the question. Is Noah Brown the steal of the draft? I wrote it in a Headline format. My use of the word "the" was to signify him being the singular steal of the draft for us, the Dallas Cowboys. Not for the entire NFL. This was confirmed later when another poster mentioned (I'm paraphrasing here) this conversation was happening on 31 other team boards and I replied with they are probably right. Because I'm sure every team had a player that will end up being a steal of their draft.

See the term Draft can be used to signify the entire NFL Draft, ie: "The Draft is on tonight" or it can be used to signify a specific teams selections, ie: "we had a great draft".

My contention that your comprehension skills are of below average ability have been confirmed moreover by the fact that every other poster on this board seemed to completely understand the post and topic, except you.
So, if everyone can comprehend the post, except you, is it my communication or your comprehension?

(that question was rhetorical)

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Man, you are not smart. I know, I know... it is hard for you to hear that because, gosh darn it, your mom told you that you were special. But I'm sorry, you're not.

Please. My intelligence isn't up for discussion or dispute. And you don't even believe what you just said. You're just trying to save face. So we'll move right along to your next point.

Let me walk you through this and hopefully you will understand. (I doubt it, but you never know)
I was asking the question. Is Noah Brown the steal of the draft? I wrote it in a Headline format. My use of the word "the" was to signify him being the singular steal of the draft for us, the Dallas Cowboys. Not for the entire NFL.

Skreeetttcch!!! Brakes applied.

First, no, that's not what the headline states or implies. I used to write headlines and have them written for me. And I was taught you make the headline as accurate as possible albeit brief. Your statement would be interpreted by many - if not most - as talking about the entire draft. If you were talking about the Cowboys alone, you should have used the prepositional phrase for the Cowboys, i.e., Noah Brown: Steal of the draft for the Cowboys? That is more accurate, if indeed what you're saying is true, and I have my doubts.

Second, what's so funny about this is you criticized me for not communicating effectively, but you apparently don't understand basic forms of grammar and how they're applied in language. "for the Cowboys" is a KEY prepositional phrase needed to understand your thought. Without it, the average person would interpret the headline to mean the entire draft.

Third, the explanation you're now giving isn't what you said in your initial response to me. I guess after a few days you thought you found an excuse. Fortunately, some of us know the appropriate use of language. ;)

This was confirmed later when another poster mentioned (I'm paraphrasing here) this conversation was happening on 31 other team boards and I replied with they are probably right. Because I'm sure every team had a player that will end up being a steal of their draft.

But the poster was saying that every team board is talking about a player they drafted as "the steal of the draft" not just the "steal of the draft for their team."

Nice try twisting what was said to fit your belated explanation/excuse.

See the term Draft can be used to signify the entire NFL Draft, ie: "The Draft is on tonight" or it can be used to signify a specific teams selections, ie: "we had a great draft".

Please stop. The context of your sentence defines "the draft." In the first example, we know that the "draft" being talked about is the entire draft because the entire draft was on television, not just an individual team's draft. In the second example, the pronoun "we" defines what is being discussed in the sentence. But YOUR headline DOES NOT give enough information to understand it any way other than it applying to the entire draft.
You're trying to con a grammarian. :laugh:
You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

My contention that your comprehension skills are of below average ability have been confirmed moreover by the fact that every other poster on this board seemed to completely understand the post and topic, except you.
So, if everyone can comprehend the post, except you, is it my communication or your comprehension?

Sigh.

Follow the bouncing ball of logic.
1. My initial comment was based on your headline.
2. You got offended by my comment about your headline and my hyperbolic statement about Jerry Rice.
3. The discussion disintegrated from there.
Whatever yours or other posters' point beyond that, I have no idea. So if they support you or don't isn't really my concern.

You merely had to say, "Tyke1doe, I didn't mean the entire draft but just the steal for the Cowboys." Problem solved. But you did not. Instead, you took offense and started talking about how I'm not communicating effectively - an ironic statement considering how you're NOW trying to explain what you meant.

Second, consensus does not determine correctness. At one point in American history, consensus supported slavery. Pointing to what everyone does or what most do is not the sole way to determine right or wrong.

Third, my point beyond my definition of steal was a grammatical one. And I am absolutely, unequivocally, emphatically correct as it relates to the use of the article the, the inappropriate and incomplete nature of your headline and the use of the phrase "the steal of the draft". Ask any English teacher, professor, PhD candidate and they will tell you the same thing I've told you. Now, whether you or your friends understand this is another matter. But I am absolutely certain of my position on this.

But you seek validation from consensus, which, in the case of this board, can be fickle and bias. I seek validation based on established truth, in this case, the appropriate use of grammar and language and the analytical way we would determine who or what determines "the steal of the draft."

Maybe next time, you should be a bit more careful with your headlines/language and less sensitive to criticism. ;)

Last edited:

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Jones or brown (both of them) need to take butlers spot. If they can't beat him out then they deserve to be dangled before being put on the practice squad.

NotForLong

Reaction score
If you've never been called out of your name, you've never lived let alone ruffled a few feathers.
Besides, name calling is simply the domain of the frustrated. :)
I really wasnt trying to call you a name.

It was my way of just pointing out the fact thats what you are.( kind of like when someone, who is an ***, is talking and everyone else in the room are rolling there eyes at him as he speeks.)

You perfected the persona of being an *** so well I just figured you were proud of the label.

Be honest you must hear it every where you go