Twitter: Nolan comes to Jaylon Smith defense

MyFairLady

Reaction score
The team is watching the film together and the team is rotting away because the film doesn't matter. Next week will be the exact same thing.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Jaylon is like some of the others. He don’t know the scheme or system. Isn’t he the one responsible for calling the Defense or the coverage. If so then if he don’t know what to call then the DBs won’t know what to do or they will be out of position.

Reactions: BAT

McKDaddy

Reaction score
perfect opportunity to say everyone has to play better & lay some calm but clear messages on the players ears. instead try to convince the masses that what they see is wrong. if only he could change the historic amount of yards & points to convince us everything is alright.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Well....there's your problem with this defense. 54 DOES play hard most of the time. The problem is his inability or lack of interest in filling his gap.

After (finally) rewatching the last 2 games, 54 does make some plays but for the most part he is being driven away from his gap. Rather than taking on his blockers, he is trying to go around them an it's leaving creases for running backs to exploit and gain massive yardage.

His coverage isn't terrible for the most part but it's far from good. He's slow to react and drive towards his assignment which is leaving just enough room for any decent QB to fit the ball in.

I'm not saying he hasn't made some plays, he has, but he's a liability out there. His missed assignments have led to too many first downs, big plays, and scores. He needs to be held accountable. Coddling through the media is the last thing his DC should be doing.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
I've never seen a football team so unwilling to believe what they put on the field, from top to bottom. From Jerry saying you just gotta "trust the scheme", to Stephen saying now isn't the time to think about [improving the team] "things like that", to the players saying, "no, really, we're good!" The era of no accountability and make-believe continues, and it actually might be worse this year.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Jaylon is my favorite player on the team. If you are on our defense you are the problem.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I think you started seeing it last year with Jaylon. Other teams were targeting him in the passing game for a reason. They also know they can run right at him. If other teams are doing that it means they see something on film. Not a good sign.

Great story, and i hope he turns it around. However it could be that the knee was just never the same for him, or he like alot of talented players played elite football one or two years and went downhill after that.
I think the nerve damage ruined his explosiveness and running ability to the point where he is getting picked on. His knee is probably fine but when he runs he looks like he intentionally picks his feet up high so he doesnt trip. He just doesnt look right!

AbeBeta

Reaction score

Good lord folks.

Here's what MM is saying. Jaylon is playing as he is supposed to in the scheme. Other players are not and that is making Jaylon look out of position. Totally consistent with his comments about how players were reverting to older schemes. I expect that's the whole of the DL - save for Hill whose increased snaps tell me he's doing what the staff wants and likely Smith who is likely designated to freelance and disrupt.

Me, I'd trust that someone who knows the scheme.

JayFord

Reaction score
No DC is going to throw any player under the bus

im pretty sure in meetings he’s more than likely informed Smith just like the rest of the D that the effort and results are inexcusable

any DC who wants to win would say that

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score
im still a fan of Jaylon.
good dude.
hustles.
he takes alot of heat...some of it warranted...some not.
but i dont think i've ever seen him quit...or not try.
he guesses alot...but you know what...id rather have a guy who tries hard than not.
Lmao these dudes are getting payed millions to underachieve, and you people will still fanboy over them. Jaylon is trash. Defense is trash.

sacase

Reaction score
I think the Jaylon issue is over blown. The scheme sucks, the DL sucks which impacts the LB, I think Jaylon is trying to do too much instead of what he is "supposed". Remember when the fatties are getting blown off the ball, the DE cant get a pass rush, the LB are not going to look good. As bad as it sounds I wish Rod were here.

No he was having these same problems last year. The problems on the DL this year are just making him look even worse than he did last year.