North vs South Senior Bowl Game Thread

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
dbair1967;3261448 said:
I think the right safety could definitely beat out Hamlin or Sensabaugh (assuming he's back) if the guy earns it and gets a fair shake.

Brooking and James both played well, but if we landed somebody like McClain, it wouldnt be a huge shock if he won a starting job.

Depending on what happens at DE, we could definitely land a starter there.

An OL starter is a long shot IMO, but someone could potentially start ahead of Kosier. He's a solid starter, but is certainly somebody that could be upgraded.

I totally agree with whoever it was that said drafting a guard prospect in round one and watching them ride the pine would be a disappointment. I know alot of people love that Iupati kid, but he looked like a project to me today. Could end up a good player down the road and could possibly start for some teams immediately, but I think it'd have to be on a really bad team. Based on what I saw today, I dont see him beating out Kosier as a rookie.
I don't think a rookie could beat out Hamlin (he gets everyone in the secondary lined up), or any of our ends. McClain could beat out Bradie, but I seriously doubt we even have a shot at him. If he fell to us we would have to take him without hesitation.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Cover 2;3261451 said:
I don't think a rookie could beat out Hamlin (he gets everyone in the secondary lined up), or any of our ends. McClain could beat out Bradie, but I seriously doubt we even have a shot at him. If he fell to us we would have to take him without hesitation.

Hamlin is painfully average, and thats giving him the benefit of the doubt. Honestly IMO he's awful and is arguably the worst starter on the team. His inability to make plays is hurting the defense.

As for DE, while its unlikely, we could easily lose a couple of DE's because Spears, Hatcher and Bowen are all RFA's. If Spears left, depending on who was selected in the first rd I could definitely see them win a starting job. Bowen has potential, but I think Hatcher is a JAG.

I think someone like McClain could beat out Brooking or James.

Reaction score
Cover 2;3261321 said:
I can't think of one position we have where a 1st rounder would start right away.

lol..wr? safety? OL possibly DL? that statement is the farthest thing from the truth :|

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
AustnIsMySaviour;3261496 said:
lol..wr? safety? OL possibly DL? that statement is the farthest thing from the truth :|
Name one person we could draft that would replace a starter. I can't remember the last time we had a 1st round rookie start. I'm drunk right now, so I can't think too far back, but I know it has been more than a couple of years.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Cover 2;3261506 said:
Name one person we could draft that would replace a starter. I can't remember the last time we had a 1st round rookie start. I'm drunk right now, so I can't think too far back, but I know it has been more than a couple of years.

Tebow > Roy. This time, the Stanback experiment will work.

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
bbgun;3261514 said:
Tebow > Roy. This time, the Stanback experiment will work.
:laugh2: Interesting, BB. Interesting. He's got all the leadership skills and intangibles to take us to the Super Bowl.

Here's a conundrum for you. If we draft Lord Tebow, does ESPN want us to win (since Teblow would be here), or want us to lose (for ratings)?

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
Bluestang;3261286 said:
Why are so many down on Kosier? (btw its spelled KOSIER) He missed an entire season with an injury and played good this year. He had some bad games too but which OL on our team didn't?

I have a problem with wasting a first rounder on a OG that will NEED time to develop. I don't think he will even challenge Kosier. He's bigger than Kosier but that doesn't mean he will beat him out on that feat alone. Our first round pick needs to be for someone that will make an impact immediately otherwise if we draft a guy so we can groom then it's a huge waste.

nobodys down on Kozier - it about getting who might the best OG to come out in years

I say give him a year - because Koziers contract is up next year - I take at 27 play him when we get some big leads - but I bet he could an will beat out Koizer by the 8 game

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Whether or not Iupati played great or horrible Dallas wasn't going to draft him on todays performance.

I trust that if we use our 1st on him than our scouts have done their homework and believe they can develop him into a starter for us.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Randy White;3261272 said:
If we're fortunate enough to get him at 27, I'd be disappointed if he doesn't beat out Kozier in training camp. The differences right now is that big, and it's not in favor of Kozier.

About the only explanation that I'd accept is that he'd have trouble learning the offense.

Kosiers not terrible and he may be our best linemen at pulling and blocking in space.

As much as we run the power play it helps having a guy like Kosier who can get out on blocks like he does.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Cover 2;3261451 said:

How many times have we seen this staff promote someone over a starter already in place? There's no reason to fool ourselves into thinking anybody who we bring in is going to start next season.

Jerry pretty much said it entering the off-season: This front-office/coaching staff believes we can win with what we've got ... nothing is going to change.

The draft will allow us to bring in competent backups who will one day assume starting roles, but no one we draft will be a starter from day one unless there is an injury (or he's a field-goal kicker).

This is not necessarily a bad thing because it gives the rookies time to develop and adjust to the pros.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
gimmesix;3261540 said:
How many times have we seen this staff promote someone over a starter already in place? There's no reason to fool ourselves into thinking anybody who we bring in is going to start next season.

Jerry pretty much said it entering the off-season: This front-office/coaching staff believes we can win with what we've got ... nothing is going to change.

The draft will allow us to bring in competent backups who will one day assume starting roles, but no one we draft will be a starter from day one unless there is an injury (or he's a field-goal kicker).

This is not necessarily a bad thing because it gives the rookies time to develop and adjust to the pros.

Yeah we pretty much redshirt guys around here.

I mean Felix Jones had to scrape and claw just to get on the field when he was clearly ready to be a big part of this team from the get go.

Our coaching staff has trust issues. So before you call someone we draft a bust always keep this in mind.

We still may not know that Miles Austin is an NFL superstar if not for injury.

What if he would've just had an ok game against KC? We may have never known.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I know I am late to the party, but I TIVOed the game and just finished watching it.

For all the hype he got, Iupati freaking sucked today. Not only did the guy get pushed backwards into his own backfield multiple times, he holds on almost every freaking play.

This guy would quickly replace Flo as the most penalized lineman in the league, virtually every freaking snap he grabs the DL by the shoulders. That will get called 90% of the time in the NFL, you know how many TD passes from Romo to Austin are going to get called back next year if we draft this guy!!!

Sorry, but no way in hell I draft Iupati with the 27th pick. He is going to need some serious time on the bench and working with a good o-line coach before he is ready to step on the field for a regular season NFL game.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Bluestang;3261286 said:
Why are so many down on Kosier? (btw its spelled KOSIER) He missed an entire season with an injury and played good this year. He had some bad games too but which OL on our team didn't?

I have a problem with wasting a first rounder on a OG that will NEED time to develop. I don't think he will even challenge Kosier. He's bigger than Kosier but that doesn't mean he will beat him out on that feat alone. Our first round pick needs to be for someone that will make an impact immediately otherwise if we draft a guy so we can groom then it's a huge waste.

Ridiculous. Are you saying that Felix Jones was a waste? Or Mike Jenkins?? Neither started as a rookie.

Joe_Fan

Continuity Is Overrated
Reaction score
BAT;3261599 said:
Ridiculous. Are you saying that Felix Jones was a waste? Or Mike Jenkins?? Neither started as a rookie.
Felix Jones has been a good play for us, fragile, but good.

It's a shame though to think of us picking him when Chris Johnson went two picks later and is an absolute beast that can do everything Felix does but better.

Here's hoping that Felix can shake the injury bug, get some better conditioning, and maybe produce similar to what Johnson can do.

Mike Jenkins has been great too (and our best corner currently), but its hard to justify trading up for him when we had a similar player in Brandon Flowers that was sitting there at our spot, has been every bit as productive, and wouldn't have cost us any additional picks to get him.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Joe_Fan;3261606 said:

It's a shame though to think of us picking him when Chris Johnson went two picks later and is an absolute beast that can do everything Felix does but better.

Here's hoping that Felix can shake the injury bug, get some better conditioning, and maybe produce similar to what Johnson can do.

Mike Jenkins has been great too (and our best corner currently), but its hard to justify trading up for him when we had a similar player in Brandon Flowers that was sitting there at our spot, has been every bit as productive, and wouldn't have cost us any additional picks to get him.

I was following you up until that. Brandon Flowers? When has his name been mentioned in the NFL? It's safe to assume he didn't have a Pro Bowl season in Kansas City. Mike Jenkins is light years ahead of Brandon Flowers right now.

Joe_Fan

Continuity Is Overrated
Reaction score
TheSport78;3261611 said:
I was following you up until that. Brandon Flowers? When has his name been mentioned in the NFL? It's safe to assume he didn't have a Pro Bowl season in Kansas City. Mike Jenkins is light years ahead of Brandon Flowers right now.
Brandon Flowers
http://www.nfl.com/players/mikejenkins/profile?id=JEN421854

2009 - 65 Tackles, 23 PDef, 2 FF, 5 INT
2008 - 69 Tackles, 13 PDef, 1 FF, 2 INT

Mike Jenkins
http://www.nfl.com/players/mikejenkins/profile?id=JEN421854

2009 - 49 Tackles, 19 PDef, 0 FF, 5 INT
2008 - 19 Tackles, 4 PDef, 0 FF, 1 INT

Yep, you're absolutely right.. he sure is light years ahead of Brandon Flowers. :rolleyes:

I made the point that we could have gotten a similar player, who didn't benefit from as good of a defense, without having to give up any additional picks to obtain.

And using the Pro Bowl argument? Ha! Give me a break.. Newman was called into the Pro Bowl before Jenkins and anyone with half a brain knows that's a crock of crap. We hear a lot about Jenkins because he plays for the Cowboys and they get a lot more exposure than the Chiefs does. Now I'm not knocking on Jenkins, I'm happy we got him, but again we could have gotten an incredibly good corner who doesn't get a lot of face time based upon where he plays without having to give up anything to get him.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3260950 said:
Speaking of what Adam said, I remember Parcells said he didn't like to draft offensive linemen from small schools because too often they dominated on physical talent and the O-line coach spent all his time teaching the less-talented kids.

I mean, the guy did play at Idaho. He probably never had to worry about his technique ever. Probably never played against anyone as good as Williams, either. This is why the scouts pay more attention to the practices than the games, to see if guys like him can take coaching and improve or not.

Sorry, but Parcells track record at drafting Olineman while at Dallas was putrid. Jason Rogers, Stephen Peterman, and Al Johnson were bad picks, so I would look elsewhere for a better source. As far as finding Olineman at small schools, Doug Free was nice find and he will challenge for a starting position next year. Going back to the 90's, Larry Allen came from a small school, that turned out pretty well don't yea think? You can find talent anywhere.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Joe_Fan;3261606 said:

Hindsight is always 50/50.....

Just keep in mind that virtually every analyst and scout had Felix Jones rated higher than Chris Johnson and that there were reports that Jeff Fisher and the Titans were going to draft Felix if he was on the board when they picked. Chris Johnson was actually the Titans backup plan if Felix was gone.

Like I said, hindsight is 50/50, but I cant fault the Boyz for taking the back that was universally considered better than Johnson. Trust me, if anybody had any idea Johnson was going to rush for 2000 yards, he would have been a top 5 pick.

burmafrd

Reaction score
90%+ of NFL O linemen come from BIg Schools. BP probably meant that unless the guy is a monster like LA was there is no point in putting a lot of time checking small school O linemen. LA and guys like that are the extreme exceptions. There is more film and tape and data on O linemen from big schools and they also go up against a lot more top talent then the little schools do. Exceptions prove the rule.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;3261627 said:
Hindsight is always 50/50.....

Just keep in mind that virtually every analyst and scout had Felix Jones rated higher than Chris Johnson and that there were reports that Jeff Fisher and the Titans were going to draft Felix if he was on the board when they picked. Chris Johnson was actually the Titans backup plan if Felix was gone.

Like I said, hindsight is 50/50, but I cant fault the Boyz for taking the back that was universally considered better than Johnson. Trust me, if anybody had any idea Johnson was going to rush for 2000 yards, he would have been a top 5 pick.

:hammer: