North vs South Senior Bowl Game Thread

Randy White

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3261255 said:
I corrected it, but didn't you hear during the telecast today that teams aren't sending boatloads of scouts to the Combine anymore because of the NFL Network's coverage?

Just because NFL teams can have their people watch the Senior Bowl on TV, and it's cheaper to do that, than pay for them to stay an extra day or 2, doesn't mean the game is irrelevant

Ok, you corrected it and there IS a difference.

There's a difference between sending 15 scouts as opposed to 10 ( for example ). Yes, I do see how the NFL Network coverage has helped some in that department, you don't need 2 scouting personel for each position anymore, but the NFL Network coverage does not show every single player doing every single drill, which is why they still need to send scouts.

Bluestang

Reaction score
Randy White;3261260 said:
Who was he holding ? The NG he was double teaming before he got to the LB or the LB ?

I will admit that I didn't see the holding penalty, started watching the game right before Blount scored the TD, but even if he did, that doesn't take away from anything he's accomplished during the entire weeil.

On the North's first series they moved the ball down the field and Pike hit Gresham on a seam route for a TD but it was negated because Iupati was flagged for holding.

On Blount TD run he could have been flagged for holding the DT or the LB.

Randy White

Reaction score
UnoDallas;3261257 said:
I still draft him at 27

he raw yes but give a college kid that is not ?

he will start over Kozier by game 8

If we're fortunate enough to get him at 27, I'd be disappointed if he doesn't beat out Kozier in training camp. The differences right now is that big, and it's not in favor of Kozier.

About the only explanation that I'd accept is that he'd have trouble learning the offense.

Joe_Fan

Continuity Is Overrated
Reaction score
UnoDallas;3261257 said:
I still draft him at 27

he raw yes but give a college kid that is not ?

he will start over Kozier by game 8
Same. I'll gladly draft him at 27 and not think twice about it.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
I corrected it, but didn't you hear during the telecast today that teams aren't sending boatloads of scouts to the Combine anymore because of the NFL Network's coverage?

Just because NFL teams can have their people watch the Senior Bowl on TV, and it's cheaper to do that, than pay for them to stay an extra day or 2, doesn't mean the game is irrelevant

I think Mayock got a little to mouthy - with that statement

trying a little to hard - hell the coverage last year was terrible

you don't get to watch every guy on every drill

you only see half the drills

trying to make himself the draft Guru

there no reason to send boatloads to the combine - but you better send some one

Randy White

Reaction score
Bluestang;3261270 said:
On Blount TD run he could have been flagged for holding the DT or the LB.

This is what the question was directed at and it's completely nuts. That play was absolutely terrific if simple. He's zone blocking the NG, driving him to his ( NG's ) right and back, the LB hesitates for a second and by the time he realized the play was going outside, Iupati was on top him.

He didn't held anybody..

Bluestang

Reaction score
Randy White;3261272 said:
If we're fortunate enough to get him at 27, I'd be disappointed if he doesn't beat out Kozier in training camp. The differences right now is that big, and it's not in favor of Kozier.

About the only explanation that I'd accept is that he'd have trouble learning the offense.

Why are so many down on Kosier? (btw its spelled KOSIER) He missed an entire season with an injury and played good this year. He had some bad games too but which OL on our team didn't?

I have a problem with wasting a first rounder on a OG that will NEED time to develop. I don't think he will even challenge Kosier. He's bigger than Kosier but that doesn't mean he will beat him out on that feat alone. Our first round pick needs to be for someone that will make an impact immediately otherwise if we draft a guy so we can groom then it's a huge waste.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Bluestang;3261286 said:
I have a problem with wasting a first rounder on a OG that will NEED time to develop. I don't think he will even challenge Kosier.

If we draft any OL, the reality is the player is not going to challenge for a starting job this season. In fact, I'm not sure any player we draft is going to challenge for a starting role.

But we do need to develop depth that's ready to step in and seize the opportunity if an injury happens.

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score

Bob, I have the utmost respect for you after your dating service thread with Bobby Petrone, but I'm gonna have to say you're wrong.

The game isn't as important as the practices, because the players are using new technique and playing with people they've never played with before. It's not an accurate guage about what their true abilities are. You get a better idea of the kind of player they are in practice. The game is irrelevent for the most part; the practices are what matter.

Bluestang

Reaction score
gimmesix;3261298 said:
If we draft any OL, the reality is the player is not going to challenge for a starting job this season. In fact, I'm not sure any player we draft is going to challenge for a starting role.

But we do need to develop depth that's ready to step in and seize the opportunity if an injury happens.

The thing is that this guy was touted as someone who can come in and start right way. That may be true for another team that has serious holes in the O-Line but if Dallas nabs him in the first IT WILL BE EXPECTED for him to start right away.

I would rather see a first round pick go to someone that can contribute to the team right away.

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
Bluestang;3261315 said:
The thing is that this guy was touted as someone who can come in and start right way. That may be true for another team that has serious holes in the O-Line but if Dallas nabs him in the first IT WILL BE EXPECTED for him to start right away.

I would rather see a first round pick go to someone that can contribute to the team right away.
I can't think of one position we have where a 1st rounder would start right away.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Bluestang;3261315 said:

Then, the best bet for that criteria is a safety. He might not start but could possibly contribute in the nickel or dime.

A corner is going to be fourth in the pecking order. A linebacker won't see the field. An offensive lineman won't see the field. A receiver will likely be fourth or fifth in the pecking order.

A nose tackle could contribute in a rotation with Ratliff, but I don't think Dallas considers getting one a priority.

Would love to get a pass-rushing 3-4 DE to add to the mix, but we don't lose any of our contributors there if no CBA is reached.

Whoever we draft is most likely just a backup this season, with the skill players contributing just on special teams probably.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Cover 2;3261321 said:
I can't think of one position we have where a 1st rounder would start right away.
Place kicker. :D

And no, in absolutely no way am I advocating we draft one.

dwmyers

Reaction score
Cover 2;3261312 said:
The game is irrelevent for the most part; the practices are what matter.

No, the game pays for the whole ritual, so yes it is important. Further, it is the primary way the fans see these players and make their opinions of their skills.

You might as well tell me that most Dallas fans attend practices and nothing else.

Fans aren't scouts, don't think like scouts, don't give a hoot if a player practices like Max McGee as long as he plays like Max McGee.

Finally, check out the list of Senior Bowl MVPs and think how about many of those MVPs end up as All-Pro players.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Cover 2;3261312 said:
Bob, I have the utmost respect for you after your dating service thread with Bobby Petrone, but I'm gonna have to say you're wrong.

The game isn't as important as the practices, because the players are using new technique and playing with people they've never played with before. It's not an accurate guage about what their true abilities are. You get a better idea of the kind of player they are in practice. The game is irrelevent for the most part; the practices are what matter.

the game is not irrelevant if you want to see how a small school guy translates those practices to a big-time game situation

which is why we saw Iupati in all but a series or 2 today

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
LeonDixson;3261335 said:
Place kicker. :D

And no, in absolutely no way am I advocating we draft one.
I would certainly hope not :laugh1:

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
dwmyers;3261369 said:
No, the game pays for the whole ritual, so yes it is important. Further, it is the primary way the fans see these players and make their opinions of their skills.

You might as well tell me that most Dallas fans attend practices and nothing else.

Fans aren't scouts, don't think like scouts, don't give a hoot if a player practices like Max McGee as long as he plays like Max McGee.

Finally, check out the list of Senior Bowl MVPs and think how about many of those MVPs end up as All-Pro players.
I meant from a scouting perspective.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Cover 2;3261321 said:

I think the right safety could definitely beat out Hamlin or Sensabaugh (assuming he's back) if the guy earns it and gets a fair shake.

Brooking and James both played well, but if we landed somebody like McClain, it wouldnt be a huge shock if he won a starting job.

Depending on what happens at DE, we could definitely land a starter there.

An OL starter is a long shot IMO, but someone could potentially start ahead of Kosier. He's a solid starter, but is certainly somebody that could be upgraded.

I totally agree with whoever it was that said drafting a guard prospect in round one and watching them ride the pine would be a disappointment. I know alot of people love that Iupati kid, but he looked like a project to me today. Could end up a good player down the road and could possibly start for some teams immediately, but I think it'd have to be on a really bad team. Based on what I saw today, I dont see him beating out Kosier as a rookie.