Not on Weeden but on the game plan

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
It was the consensus hear, I belief, before the game that the plan was to give the ball to Murray. Manys manys time.

How hard was that?

If Murray had 40 yards at havetime, I say let him pound the ball relentlessly ALL game and the rest of the game.
With 2 minute left in the already lost game, he was on the sidelines. For his sake at least let him rip a couple of long runs to keep his record going for this proud player. The genuses on the sideline should have let him carry all day long and discourage Weeden from thowing too much.

Romo dodged a bullet by the name of the Cardinals defense and he should thank Weeden that he took all the pressure this week while maybe Romo can relatively cruise next week in London. I think the bravados in him will make him play.

But the game plan should be so few passes that Murray could pound it as the blitz came on anyway.

Weeden gave it his best but the game plan failed him with Dez and Murray relatively marginalized. Weeden turned in a sorry performance but so did many other cowboys including our secondary so knock off the Weeden bashing. It was not him exclusively and yous knows it.:mad:

Reactions: BAT

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
It was the consensus hear, I belief, before the game that the plan was to give the ball to Murray. Manys manys time.

How hard was that?

If Murray had 40 yards at havetime, I say let him pound the ball relentlessly ALL game and the rest of the game.
With 2 minute left in the already lost game, he was on the sidelines. For his sake at least let him rip a couple of long runs to keep his record going for this proud player. The genuses on the sideline should have let him carry all day long and discourage Weeden from thowing too much.

Romo dodged a bullet by the name of the Cardinals defense and he should thank Weeden that he took all the pressure this week while maybe Romo can relatively cruise next week in London. I think the bravados in him will make him play.

But the game plan should be so few passes that Murray could pound it as the blitz came on anyway.

Weeden gave it his best but the game plan failed him with Dez and Murray relatively marginalized. Weeden turned in a sorry performance but so did many other cowboys including our secondary so knock off the Weeden bashing. It was not him exclusively and yous knows it.:mad:

It was him exclusively. Arizona loaded up with 9 in the box and we took shots with one on one coverage that Weeden just couldn't complete. The pick at the 10 yardline cost us at least 3. I believe they would have run Murray til the end but when youre down 2 scores with 6 minutes to go you have to throw

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
I agree, game plan was weak. 9 in the box definitely leaves openings. Weeded couldn't connect. He seems to have very little touch, just fast balls every where.

Lazyking

Reaction score
Murray had to earn every one of those yards. The gameplan only failed because it wasn't alot of quick throws, Weeden sucks but he was asked to sit back and read. He can't do that.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Oh, Gimme. The gameplan was fine outside of a few calls (like the 5 wide set and the punt on 4th down in the second half).

The only problem was Linehan had faith in his QB to play at an NFL level, whereas at this point I doubt he could even walk on at Oklahoma St.

Beasley was wide, and I mean wide open, at least 3 times, two for first downs and one for a TD, but Weeden threw the ball into the first row of the bleachers instead.

If Weeden plays another game I'm keeping his pass attempts under 15.

ThrowuptheXDez88

Reaction score
Weeden's eyes never left his first option ... The guy was clueless when it came to reading the defense. Also what's wrong with Linnehan!!??? He has called 2 screen plays back to back weeks & they went for huge gains, but he never goes back to it later in the game, especially against those 2 teams who love to blitz & to keep some pressure off Weeden.

TonyRomo17

Reaction score
It was him exclusively. Arizona loaded up with 9 in the box and we took shots with one on one coverage that Weeden just couldn't complete. The pick at the 10 yardline cost us at least 3. I believe they would have run Murray til the end but when youre down 2 scores with 6 minutes to go you have to throw
Beasly was wide open on that play too

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Some of it was gameplan. I don't think this team put him in the best position to succeed. That being said, its also on Weeden. He was terrible. There's something about Weeden. I don't know if he's a football player. Like I feel like he's playing football because he can or for a check. I don't see much of a competitor in him.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Oh, Gimme. The gameplan was fine outside of a few calls (like the 5 wide set and the punt on 4th down in the second half).

The only problem was Linehan had faith in his QB to play at an NFL level, whereas at this point I doubt he could even walk on at Oklahoma St.

Beasley was wide, and I mean wide open, at least 3 times, two for first downs and one for a TD, but Weeden threw the ball into the first row of the bleachers instead.

If Weeden plays another game I'm keeping his pass attempts under 15.

The point is/was/remains: Oh, gmoney, why did the braintrust espect Weeden to come out slinging like a 2013 Romo?
Pound the ball a whey lot more, is what I asked for. Don't make him stand up to the blitz and pressure and espect him to have sync with Beasley, Dez and Williams all of the sudden. Murray was the prudence option and that did not happen enough or more this game.

Genus on the sideline espected a Romo and even when that failed they stuck to this awful game plan. Not defending Weeden. I am saying that many things went, Murray should have more carries to get momentum and if the gameplan was not working do it differently.

gmoney112

Reaction score
The point is/was/remains: Oh, gmoney, why did the braintrust espect Weeden to come out slinging like a 2013 Romo?
Pound the ball a whey lot more, is what I asked for. Don't make him stand up to the blitz and pressure and espect him to have sync with Beasley, Dez and Williams all of the sudden. Murray was the prudence option and that did not happen enough or more this game.

Genus on the sideline espected a Romo and even when that failed they stuck to this awful game plan. Not defending Weeden. I am saying that many things went, Murray should have more carries to get momentum and if the gameplan was not working do it differently.

I think they just expected him to be Kyle Orton, instead he was Scooter from Farmer's Branch who won a 2A playoff game 35 years ago.

Tenkamenin

Reaction score

On several occasions Weeden tried to force passes to Dez when there were better options available. I'm sure someone will post the gifs from the All-22's this wk. Weeden was late all day with his throws, the int by Mathieu was a great example.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Just speculating, but maybe the gameplan was put together based on Weeden's ability? He showed the world he isn't very good, maybe the coaches knew this before gametime? Am i giving this coaching staff too much credit? :p

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Weeden, smh. He just has no savvy for the QB position. His throwing is like he's throwing a baseball. Zero touch, very little accuracy, tunnel vision. This guy didn't start playing the position yesterday, he knows when to let some off the fast ball, he knows to look off the safety, and how to throw, but I guess he's used to throwing at a sitting target. Also, the play calling is just puzzling. I don't get an empty set with an inaccurate QB or on a 3rd and 2. Or still refusing to run, or using a bunch formation on 4th down, the list goes on.

Seems like even when they bring assistants in here, they still call plays like Garrett.

Zman5

Reaction score
Both game plan and Weeden sucked.

How is that Deadskins Cleveland reject 3rd string QB can look good and beat us yet our Cleveland reject 2nd string QB can't even complete a pass to a WR until garbage time?

How is it that a backup QB that has gotten probably more reps than any backup QB in the league look so bad?

I'm curious to know how he looks in practice.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
No. Definitely on poor QB play.

Not sure what you wanted the coaches to draw up. 1 on 1 coverage and Weeden is simply missing throws.

If he connects on routine passes suddenly the gameplan looks a lot better.

No one can simply just run it into a 9 man box and say to hell with everything.

You guys are silly.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How is it that a backup QB that has gotten probably more reps than any backup QB in the league look so bad?
That is a great question. Aikman commented about that just before kickoff. Then in the 4th quarter he mentioned it again and openly questioned how Weeden could look so bad given that condition. Clearly some players were wondering the same thing.

Reactions: BAT