Not on Weeden but on the game plan

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Did you even watch the game? Weeden was off all day and even the cardinals said they come out in the second half focusing on stopping murray and forcing weeden to beat them. Someone should of put beasely in a hunters vest across the middle. They were playing 8 in the box and daring us to throw. He played poorly.

Weeden had a bad day. again, the game plan should not half kept him passing and instead should half had him handing the ball off almost ever time. A shame Murray was 20 yards away from a 100-yard game. I felt for him.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
The gameplan was installed with the assumption there was a competent QB under center. I don't usually side with Garett and the coaching staff, but you have to expect your QB to be able to throw a football.

This was on Weeden. Dwayne Harris could have been behind center and ran/pitched every time with a greater effect than Weeden.

Maybe the Dallas braintrust half not heard of the word "adjust"?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
No offensive coordinator/game plan can compensate for the quarterback missing on so many passes.

I guess we could have pounded Murray into a wall because it probably wouldn't have turned out much worse, but if you're trying to actually win the game you've got to be able to throw it some with success.

You make good points. I am over the game now. Let us consider this a lesson. And let me make this points:

1. We need to draft a marquee QB in the first first. A QB with one playoff win in his history and who is now a chronic back-pain sufferer is not our long-range ticket.
2. We need to keep the O line together.
3. Keeping Murray will be expensive but it is needed. HE IS A KNOWN COMMODITY.
3. Coach marinade is working wonders with this terrible defense. He needs to be compensated enough to keep him here a long time. I dont care if we keep Garrett or not. but I do care that we keep Marinade for a long time. He is that good.
4. Dez need to grow up. Shoulding at his teammate is not something that will motivate. he need to think of his team more and his cap-slapping self less.
5. Games in London are silly. If London want a infusion of $50 million, let it get it the old fashion way, but colonizing and working people in other countries very hard to enrich itself.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
sorry but Cards did a good job vs the run, Dallas stayed with the run until the 6 min mark and 2 scores down. As for keeping him in once the cards were up by 11 points why? 1 running at that stage was not going to win the game and 2nd why risk him when the game was over. I seem to recall Joey Galloway got hurt in a game that was already over and fans had a fit.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Weeden had a 24.4 passer rating late in the game, he was terrible.

Yes, terrible. so was the game plan to make him a passing fool like Romo.

And ax yoself this: Why did not Garrett/jerra make adjustments? Why did they choose to extend that terrible streak?

Derinyar

Reaction score
The game plan was fairly balanced until the last drive when there was zero reason to run the ball. The issue really was Weeden locking onto one WR coming out of the huddle and never looking away from that player. Could you have had a better game plan? Sure, there's always a better game plan in hindsight. Weeden would have stunted pretty much any game plan because of his lack of accuracy, touch, and reading the field. The game plan in the first half had a mix of run and pass on 1st and 2nd downs. Things started changing with 6 minutes left to go when we were down 11, but at that point you have to start being more aggressive if you're going to try and win the game.

As to why Weeden is here as the backup, I swear the plan was for Orton to be our backup this year but he decided to be a whiny little..... Once he basically throws his fit you have to cut him. So at that point we're left with what we have basically.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The game plan was fairly balanced until the last drive when there was zero reason to run the ball. The issue really was Weeden locking onto one WR coming out of the huddle and never looking away from that player. Could you have had a better game plan? Sure, there's always a better game plan in hindsight. Weeden would have stunted pretty much any game plan because of his lack of accuracy, touch, and reading the field. The game plan in the first half had a mix of run and pass on 1st and 2nd downs. Things started changing with 6 minutes left to go when we were down 11, but at that point you have to start being more aggressive if you're going to try and win the game.

As to why Weeden is here as the backup, I swear the plan was for Orton to be our backup this year but he decided to be a whiny little..... Once he basically throws his fit you have to cut him. So at that point we're left with what we have basically.

I agree and had Dallas been able to run for 1 yard on 4th and 1 we likely would have continued to run. Once we failed and they scored again then only chance even small chance was to air it out.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Yes, terrible. so was the game plan to make him a passing fool like Romo.

And ax yoself this: Why did not Garrett/jerra make adjustments? Why did they choose to extend that terrible streak?

This is the problem. When there is ZERO threat to run the ball, you're done as an offense. They could have run Murray 20 more times...and 20 more times he would have run into a brick wall. Weeden singlehandedly destroyed any and all options we had.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
This is the problem. When there is ZERO threat to run the ball, you're done as an offense. They could have run Murray 20 more times...and 20 more times he would have run into a brick wall. Weeden singlehandedly destroyed any and all options we had.

Yes it do go against conventional ovens and good football theory. The alternative to just running the ball Sunday would be to continue Weeden's meltdown. Which be worse?

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Yes it do go against conventional ovens and good football theory. The alternative to just running the ball Sunday would be to continue Weeden's meltdown. Which be worse?

Running Murray would have been worse. Because he was getting destroyed out there. At least Weeden is a throw away player, if he gets destroyed, it doesn't really matter. I really think the coaching staff was looking to preserve Murray's health after awhile.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Cards were not going to back off until or unless Dallas could force them to with the pass. Only upside of running Murray with 6 min left and 2 score down would be to end the game quicker since in the end all you will manage to do is run the clock off on your own.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It was the consensus hear, I belief, before the game that the plan was to give the ball to Murray. Manys manys time.

How hard was that?

If Murray had 40 yards at havetime, I say let him pound the ball relentlessly ALL game and the rest of the game.
With 2 minute left in the already lost game, he was on the sidelines. For his sake at least let him rip a couple of long runs to keep his record going for this proud player. The genuses on the sideline should have let him carry all day long and discourage Weeden from thowing too much.

Romo dodged a bullet by the name of the Cardinals defense and he should thank Weeden that he took all the pressure this week while maybe Romo can relatively cruise next week in London. I think the bravados in him will make him play.

But the game plan should be so few passes that Murray could pound it as the blitz came on anyway.

Weeden gave it his best but the game plan failed him with Dez and Murray relatively marginalized. Weeden turned in a sorry performance but so did many other cowboys including our secondary so knock off the Weeden bashing. It was not him exclusively and yous knows it.:mad:

AZ has the best run defense in the league. they were going to stop murray and that's how they game planned. usually when to strengths meet, it ends up somewhere in the middle and that's how it ended. we needed to make some pass plays and we didn't. we didn't have one pass completed to the WR until middle of 3rd quarter. that's awful. that plays into the hands of the defense and they were putting 8-9 in the box to stop the run.

so, no its not that simple. unfortunately law of averages doesn't apply to a game plan like all fantasy players would like it to.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
AZ has the best run defense in the league. they were going to stop murray and that's how they game planned. usually when to strengths meet, it ends up somewhere in the middle and that's how it ended. we needed to make some pass plays and we didn't. we didn't have one pass completed to the WR until middle of 3rd quarter. that's awful. that plays into the hands of the defense and they were putting 8-9 in the box to stop the run.

so, no its not that simple. unfortunately law of averages doesn't apply to a game plan like all fantasy players would like it to.

Aint nothing fantasy about coaches adjusting when something (like passing) is not working. And maybe not even abandon passing. Maybe just tweaks and different schemes. But nooooooo, not any adjustmens that i saw. Just keeping on doing the same old things and seeing Weeden wilt.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Aint nothing fantasy about coaches adjusting when something (like passing) is not working. And maybe not even abandon passing. Maybe just tweaks and different schemes. But nooooooo, not any adjustmens that i saw. Just keeping on doing the same old things and seeing Weeden wilt.

Was Beasley supposed to be more open than he was all day? Did he need 20 yards of separation, rather than the 10 he was consistently getting? They were doing the same things because those things were freeing up receivers left and right.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Don't forget that Jacksonville has a defense coming up along with it's offense now.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Don't forget that Jacksonville has a defense coming up along with it's offense now.

True they are 3rd in the NFL in sacks and for all the struggle Bortles has had he did go 22 of 33 and 2 TD vs Cinn and gave them a run for their money. Pretty much Jags have nothing to lose and all pressure is on Dallas to snap that 2 game losing streak.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
It was the consensus hear, I belief, before the game that the plan was to give the ball to Murray. Manys manys time.

How hard was that?

If Murray had 40 yards at havetime, I say let him pound the ball relentlessly ALL game and the rest of the game.
With 2 minute left in the already lost game, he was on the sidelines. For his sake at least let him rip a couple of long runs to keep his record going for this proud player. The genuses on the sideline should have let him carry all day long and discourage Weeden from thowing too much.

Romo dodged a bullet by the name of the Cardinals defense and he should thank Weeden that he took all the pressure this week while maybe Romo can relatively cruise next week in London. I think the bravados in him will make him play.

But the game plan should be so few passes that Murray could pound it as the blitz came on anyway.

Weeden gave it his best but the game plan failed him with Dez and Murray relatively marginalized. Weeden turned in a sorry performance but so did many other cowboys including our secondary so knock off the Weeden bashing. It was not him exclusively and yous knows it.:mad:

Weeden couldn't execute any game plan.

Next... Jagwires!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

so passing is not working. when the WRs drop balls. and QB can't hit side of a truck while standing next to it. what coaching adjustments can they make? plays are called. execute. plays called were simple execution plays. lots of quick throws and he continuously missed them. should they work on his throws and stare downs during the game. lets just agree that weeden sucked. that was the bottom line. oh yeah I forgot, even weeden said he sucked. his WRs were screaming at him on the side line. you can't make filet mignon out of a pile of shiet by putting a piece of parsley next to it and putting in on a nice plate. you need some meet to at least pass it as filet!!!!