Not on Weeden but on the game plan

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
It was him exclusively. Arizona loaded up with 9 in the box and we took shots with one on one coverage that Weeden just couldn't complete. The pick at the 10 yardline cost us at least 3. I believe they would have run Murray til the end but when youre down 2 scores with 6 minutes to go you have to throw

Weeden was bad, horrible in fact....but that doesn't let the coaches off the hook. Again the Coaches called a pass on 3rd and 2. Abandoned the run and passed...then 4 and 1 a drive that really decided the game was again a stupid call by the Coaches...Cardinals had 9 or 10 players in the box to stop the run......ran right up the gut and lost yards....Did the Coaches help Weeden out.... no....Did the Coaches call a play to spread out the defense... no...they simply lined up in a goal line play and tried to manhandle the first down against the #1 run defense in the NFL.....epic fail.....Play action could of been a 1st down, a big play or even a TD. Cowboys got out coached....and did not have Weeden ready to play.....that or falsely believed he would not need the help.

Weeden was horrible....but the coaching was just as bad.....How many points did the coaches leave on the field.....6 to 9 easily..

Game plan has been suspect for 3 games in a row....

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
Weeden had a ton of opportunities to change they way they were playing defense. All he had to do was burn them a time or two and they would have come out of the D. But when you can't beat them with 9 in the box, there is zero reason to change as as D.

No matter how creative you are as an O coordinator....you can't game plan for poor throws

Everson24

Reaction score
What concerns me about Linehan is his history with Detroit.I seems that every year they would get off to a pretty good start offensively but by then end of the season even below average defenses could really slow down Stafford and their offense. It make me wonder if after a few games the defensive coordinators get a bead on his game plans and play calling and he seems too slow to adjust.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I thought the play calling was bad, they ran the ball every single time on first down. Why not go play action once or twice and try to take advantage of the one on one coverage and their aggression towards stopping the run? Not to mention it was obvious Weeden wasnt going to convert many third downs, so the best chance they had to score was to make a big play. Instead it was run, pass every single first and 2nd down, way too predictable. Way to help out a struggling QB.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It was the consensus hear, I belief, before the game that the plan was to give the ball to Murray. Manys manys time.

How hard was that?

If Murray had 40 yards at havetime, I say let him pound the ball relentlessly ALL game and the rest of the game.
With 2 minute left in the already lost game, he was on the sidelines. For his sake at least let him rip a couple of long runs to keep his record going for this proud player. The genuses on the sideline should have let him carry all day long and discourage Weeden from thowing too much.

Romo dodged a bullet by the name of the Cardinals defense and he should thank Weeden that he took all the pressure this week while maybe Romo can relatively cruise next week in London. I think the bravados in him will make him play.

But the game plan should be so few passes that Murray could pound it as the blitz came on anyway.

Weeden gave it his best but the game plan failed him with Dez and Murray relatively marginalized. Weeden turned in a sorry performance but so did many other cowboys including our secondary so knock off the Weeden bashing. It was not him exclusively and yous knows it.:mad:

No offensive coordinator/game plan can compensate for the quarterback missing on so many passes.

I guess we could have pounded Murray into a wall because it probably wouldn't have turned out much worse, but if you're trying to actually win the game you've got to be able to throw it some with success.

khiladi

Reaction score
The game-plan sucked and Weeden sucked.

Beasley was wide-open on a couple of crossing routes, right smack in the vision of Weeden, and Weeden just failed to see him and throw it to him.. That was all Weeden...

khiladi

Reaction score
Weeden's eyes never left his first option ... The guy was clueless when it came to reading the defense. Also what's wrong with Linnehan!!??? He has called 2 screen plays back to back weeks & they went for huge gains, but he never goes back to it later in the game, especially against those 2 teams who love to blitz & to keep some pressure off Weeden.

We went screen a couple of time and Arizona sniffed it out. Dallas needs to start getting creative in their short passing game. They could have used more screens against the Commanders though.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
How is that Deadskins Cleveland reject 3rd string QB can look good and beat us yet our Cleveland reject 2nd string QB can't even complete a pass to a WR until garbage time?

How is it that a backup QB that has gotten probably more reps than any backup QB in the league look so bad?

Good questions.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Did our coaches actually think their plan with Weeden would work?

What does that say?

conner01

Reaction score
When you have a totally inept QB throw 36 times and give it to the NFL's leading rusher just 19 times?

Yeah, you're giving the coaching staff WAAYYY too much credit.

And not nearly the blame they truly deserve.

that is a bit misleading. weeden threw 33 times but 10 of those were on the last drive when we was behind. we ran the ball 23 times with the rb's and up untill that last drive we had thrown 23 times

dstovall5

Reaction score
Game plan definitely deserves blame, but it's just so minuscule in comparison to the goose egg Weeden layed it's not even worth mentioning.

blumayne38

Reaction score
Weeden sucked but I did not see very creative routes to get the ball out either. The gameplan and Brandon were very bad, Weeden more so.

Watching Denver and New England play i dont think i saw one play where someone wasnt runnning the shallow cross

blumayne38

Reaction score
Game plan definitely deserves blame, but it's just so minuscule in comparison to the goose egg Weeden layed it's not even worth mentioning.

it is cuz they could have won this game despite how bad weeden was, our d was playing solid and murray was runnning well...coaching alone could have beat the cardinals yesterday

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Brandon Weeden’s quarterback rating yesterday was lower than any NFL game Tony Romo ever played…

Carry on.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I would not even say it is the gameplan...it is on a passing system the requires the QB to throw in to tight windows...which means the QB has to be very accurate...and the WRs have to be willing to go into traffic.

WHEN our WRs are wide open...it is generally off of play fakes. But that means you have to have the run game working...and we did not.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I think they just expected him to be Kyle Orton, instead he was Scooter from Farmer's Branch who won a 2A playoff game 35 years ago.

And I hear they had a heck of a celebration: a square-dance marathon, a parade, fireworks, 1-leg sack races and the city bought in a tanker truck with clean water. Man, we live high on the hog most times and we no how to party like its 1986.
Come see us, wear your best overalls.